david morley

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Wow! The author really has a bone to pick!
Does this matter AT ALL?
Now, if Behringer were selling it as a superb sounding unit with real
valve sound AND charging money for it, it would be nasty, but the bloody
thing costs $99!
What a ridiculous article...
Gareth Magennis

"Richard" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the problem with highlighting a Valve ??? a 12AX7 does not
light up very much under normal use .... What next ? people claiming
that clip/peak indicators are a con because the light is not actually
from components catching fire ????

How can any reviewer write such a blatant piece of crap like that? He
insinuates that the tube might not even be in circuit, then goes on to say
his "feeling" is that the circuit is designed and run a certain way. Just
where does he get even a shred of evidence to justify these accusations
apart from the inside of his own head? What an arse.

Gareth.

Keilan

I hope Behringer sue.

.......... Phil

They wouldn't be the first ones to try and sue the author!

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2756

Agent_C

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:10:22 -0400, "Todd McFadden"
wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

This is not at all unprecedented. Take a look at what Bob Carver does
with his Classic Vacuum Tube preamp:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube3.jpg
http://home.nyc.rr.com/acidrock212/tube4.jpg

He surrounds 3 tubes in a mirrored cage, with white LED's behind each
one. When you look through the front window, it's just a little more
dramatic.

I was not at all offended by it; I thought it was kind of cool.

A_C

Arny Krueger

"Geoff@work" wrote in
message
"Ricky Hunt" wrote in message
"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

They're not the only ones that do this. As long as there
are people gullible enough to buy the "glowing tubes =
warm music" myth don't expect it to go away.

Well it aint "warm music", it's "yellow music".

Warning: a completely non-PC remark follows

Wonder where they assemble those puppies, anyhow?

Arny Krueger

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in
message
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:45:19 -0400, "TimPerry"
wrote:

the next logical step is to modulate the backlighting...
and switch in red LEDs for overdrive.

they got to come up with a catchy name... how about
ultragroovytubyessance?

The early 1970's were truly great, but who *really*
wants to relive 'em?

It seems like: Mostly people who didn't live them the first
time.

"Pooh Bear" skrev i en meddelelse

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

No surprise frankly.

Behringer simply feeds the marker with what it wants.

If the market is receptive to crap- then it's likely to be fed **** !

I own one of those preamps, and while I am not too impressed with the yellow
LEDs it does work, and has worked for several years with no issues at all...
Obviously its not a Neve preamp, but it gets the job done..

/peter

Joe Kesselman

Arny Krueger wrote:
It seems like: Mostly people who didn't live them the first
time.

Or those of us who were there but were too young to be _there_.
Pat

In article , "Q"
wrote:

I own one of those preamps, and while I am not too impressed with the yellow
LEDs it does work, and has worked for several years with no issues at all...
Obviously its not a Neve preamp, but it gets the job done..

I hope it has better shielding than the single-channel ones. Had a
fiddle player bring one of those single channel Behringer "tube" preamp
to a festival last year. Any time a stage tech tried to talk on the
radio, the preamp picked up a blast of RF. Very unpleasant...
Arny Krueger

"Joe Kesselman" wrote in
message

Arny Krueger wrote:

It seems like: Mostly people who didn't live them the
first time.

Or those of us who were there but were too young to be
_there_.

Welling being there but too young to really live them is
really about the same as not living them.

The 70's weren't that bad, except of course for the Vietnam
thing and all the people who died, often painfully,of things
that we now know how to manage. For example many forms of
cancer that are fairly survivable these days were a death
sentence, then. The other problem was that in those days
many of use were in our teens or twenties, which are
problematical for a lot of people.

Audio distribution media-wise vinyl was beginning to pinch,
sonically but analog tape was too expensive for producers to
make a lot of money selling. Cassette was even more the pits
than it is now.

In the studio, wide high speed tape rocked. Mics and
consoles were good but quite expensive.

Mike Gilmour

"Ron Capik" wrote in message
TimPerry wrote:

...snip..
warm, yellow glow.
Someone needs a life!
The purchaser maybe ? (or should that be the designer ? )
Graham

the next logical step is to modulate the backlighting... and switch in
red
LEDs for overdrive.

they got to come up with a catchy name... how about
ultragroovytubyessance?

Nah, that red glow of the plate overheating isn't dynamic enough. I'd opt
for
the blues and greens of arcing and e-beams hitting the glass. G

Me, I put blue filters in front of the tube's viewing port on my Tube-EQs
to cut down on the backlighting glare.

Later...

Ron Capik
--

Ahh blue, for that well gassed tube look.

Phil Allison

"Mike Gilmour"

Ahh blue, for that well gassed tube look.

** That is a major fallacy about tubes.

The blue glow often seen on the inside of the glass envelope of a power tube
is not a sign of any defect.

It is, in fact, fluorescence of the internal glass surface due to trapped
impurities being bombarded by electrons.

......... Phil

Mike Gilmour

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Mike Gilmour"

Ahh blue, for that well gassed tube look.

** That is a major fallacy about tubes.

The blue glow often seen on the inside of the glass envelope of a power
tube is not a sign of any defect.

It is, in fact, fluorescence of the internal glass surface due to trapped
impurities being bombarded by electrons.

........ Phil

Who said it was a defect?

Phil Allison

"Mike Gilmour"
"Phil Allison"

Ahh blue, for that well gassed tube look.

** That is a major fallacy about tubes.

The blue glow often seen on the inside of the glass envelope of a power
tube is not a sign of any defect.

It is, in fact, fluorescence of the internal glass surface due to
trapped impurities being bombarded by electrons.

Who said it was a defect?

** You did - Mr Smartarse.

A " well gassed " tube is a highly defective tube.

.......... Phil

Mike Gilmour

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Mike Gilmour"
"Phil Allison"

Ahh blue, for that well gassed tube look.

** That is a major fallacy about tubes.

The blue glow often seen on the inside of the glass envelope of a power
tube is not a sign of any defect.

It is, in fact, fluorescence of the internal glass surface due to
trapped impurities being bombarded by electrons.

Who said it was a defect?

** You did - Mr Smartarse.

A " well gassed " tube is a highly defective tube.

......... Phil

....only if it goes white :-)

TimPerry

Letsee, the tube is part of the circuit but the author is
upset because some LEDs were placed behind it to enhance its
warm, yellow glow.

Hey, why not leave the tube _out_ of the circuit and light it entirely
with LEDs? You'd probably get better sound quality, and you'd never have
to worry about the tube burning out.

then you wouldn't make any money selling replacement tubes.

look out world here comes the ultra12AX7A

next we need a little microphone pickup to inject a little ambient out of
phase signal to cancel microphonic action.

Tim Martin

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Audio distribution media-wise vinyl was beginning to pinch,
sonically ...

Remember the oil shortage that caused record companies to recycle vinyl?
You'd occasionally buy a new record with a pit of paper sticking up out
through the vinyl - part of the label of a record that had been melted down
for its vinyl!

Tim

Richard Crowley

The early 1970's were truly great, but who *really*
wants to relive 'em?

It seems like: Mostly people who didn't live them the first
time.

They seem just as stupid in retrospect as they did at the time.
Richard Crowley

"Geoff@work" wrote ...
Well it aint "warm music", it's "yellow music".

Do you have "yellow snow" down there in NZ? :-)
Arny Krueger

"Tim Martin" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Audio distribution media-wise vinyl was beginning to
pinch, sonically ...

Remember the oil shortage that caused record companies to
recycle vinyl?

A goodly number were recycling before all that... ;-(

You'd occasionally buy a new record with a
pit of paper sticking up out through the vinyl - part of
the label of a record that had been melted down for its
vinyl!

The pressing plant didn't have the grinder set to "fine"?
;-(

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 7:10 PM, in article , "Todd
McFadden" wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

I AM LAOGHING LOUDER AND MORE EXHAUSTINHGLY THAN IN WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A HOOT!!!!
(****... Where's the coffee...)

GOOD GOD MAN WHO COULD POSSIBLY BE SURPRISED BY THIS??????
I SWEAR... THE LEAPOARD'S SPOTS!!!!!

HEHEHEHEHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH
Wheeeeeoooo...
Gasp
Whew..
That's funny... Really truly funny...

Marvin Caesar and Greg Mackie are smilin' and noddin'...
But they're still not happy...

**And**
ESPECIALLY cuz it makes B-lovers get their panties all in a bunch:
I reitterate my oft-told annoying dead-horse who-cares little vow:
no Behringer gear will find it's way here unless I make some
Fletcher-insipred art out of it.... And I thing it'd have to be somethin
ACTIVE, y'know like those folks that build big Free Art Pieces out of Really
Dangerous Machinery that usually self-destructs spectacularly... ?
Maybe something to do with a rube-goldberg thing ending in an arc-welder and
a mix of LOX-&-Napthanol...

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 10:28 PM, in article ,
"Bob Geary" wrote:

"Todd McFadden" wrote in message
I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

Todd

Those things must be engineered to science-fiction-level tolerances -
it's not even that the light of the LEDs affects the sound (that would
be amazing enough in itself), but that the *energy generated by the
user's awareness of the LEDs* affects the sound.

Gotta get me some of that tech.

I have these great SonicMarvelOil speaker cables... You need them for your
studio monitors, only $300/ft just be sure that the arrows point towards
the SPEAKER end.

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 10:53 PM, in article , "Scott
Dorsey" wrote:

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

No, not really. I think they copied the idea from dbx. And, of course,
it was ART that came up with the whole cheesy starved plate "fake tube"
preamp to begin with. Of course, that was an attempt to get something
cheap with a tube in it that didn't infringe on the Aphex 107 fake tube
circuit patent.

And to be fair, the 107 is a DARNED quiet cheap pre with very-lo-impedance
mics... And the tube does little damage.

It's depressing, but you can't blame Behringer because they are just
copying the whole idea.
--scott

I can ALWAYS blame Beheingerrrr

(hmmmnn.. T-shirt.. Blame Behringer... The back can have a silk-screen of
the Mackie filing papers...)

SSJVCmag

On 9/19/05 11:25 PM, in article , "Pooh Bear"
wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

No, not really. I think they copied the idea from dbx. And, of course,
it was ART that came up with the whole cheesy starved plate "fake tube"
preamp to begin with. Of course, that was an attempt to get something
cheap with a tube in it that didn't infringe on the Aphex 107 fake tube
circuit patent.

What do you want? People want stuff with tubes in it, they don't want
to pay money, and they don't care if it sounds like crap because most of
the people the MI vendors are selling to don't know how to listen. As
a result, there is a lot of crap on the market.

That is so *agonisingly* true. It's become a damm circus !

Dude, where you been? In line for popcorn? The circus started 10 years ago!

I seem to recall that Behringer has been sued several times for patent
infringment issues. I don't think they have ever truly engineered
anything of their own without copying much of the design from some
high-end expensive piece - altering just enough of the circuit to keep
the lawyers back. Apperently early on they didn't even bother making
minor changes to circumvent patent issues and they were sued because of
it. I DO have some Behringer stuff and it works well and I like it and
the price. So far none of my Behringer stuff has had a problem.

George Gleason

(hmmmnn.. T-shirt.. Blame Behringer... The back can have a silk-screen
of the Mackie filing papers...)

or a picture of the same papers thrown in the dust bin by the judge, who
correctly identified them as pointless drivaGeorge
SSJVCmag

On 9/20/05 12:40 PM, in article
, "George Gleason"
wrote:

(hmmmnn.. T-shirt.. Blame Behringer... The back can have a silk-screen
of the Mackie filing papers...)

or a picture of the same papers thrown in the dust bin by the judge, who
correctly identified them as pointless driva

George

Drivel that suddenly and absolutely divested BEHRINGER of their entire US
sales distro and warrenty repair partner SAMASH leaving them in a scramble
for a year to rebuild one from the ground up...
But then I forget, that was a 'planned business move'.
We've been over this wayyy too many times...

Scott Dorsey

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

But, as far as fundamental linearity goes, if the
vacuum valve were to be invented today, it might well
be hailed as a miracle of modern weird tech. It
does do some otherwise difficult tasks better'n
anything else. Yet.

"Our head story tonight involves Dr. Will U. Bendova in the Department of
Electrical Engineering, who has invented a new form of amplification device
which is notably more radiation-proof than current transistor technologies,
and can operate over a wide temperature span owing to its unique intrinsic
temperature regulation. Dubbed the Vacuum Tube, Dr. Bendova discovered the
principle behind it while leafing through the encyclopaedia looking for
information on vacuum cleaners. This happy bit of serendipity will bring
better quality electronic devices to those living in high temperature and
radiation areas, like the dorms next to the Nuclear Science building. Dr.
Bendova feels this wide breakthrough can be applied to more general systems,
once minor problems with power requirements can be overcome. However, he
was quoted as saying, because of the high voltage required, these devices
can be operated directly off the power line, removing the need for expensive
and unreliable low-voltage transformers. Such a breakthrough could produce
cheap and good radios that everyone could own."
-- From UGA Today, broadcast on WREK-FM, mid-1970s some time

Scott Dorsey

Tim Martin wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Audio distribution media-wise vinyl was beginning to pinch,
sonically ...

Remember the oil shortage that caused record companies to recycle vinyl?
You'd occasionally buy a new record with a pit of paper sticking up out
through the vinyl - part of the label of a record that had been melted down
for its vinyl!

Everybody uses regrind. If you use 100% virgin vinyl with no regrind,
you get noise problems. You want something around 10% regrind in the
mix, usually from failed pressings and flash cut from around the edges.
Usually the big labels would put their overstock into the regrind bins
as well.

Scott Dorsey

Dorsey" wrote:

Todd McFadden wrote:

I am generally a Behringer fan, but this is outrageous:

http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=2838

No, not really. I think they copied the idea from dbx. And, of course,
it was ART that came up with the whole cheesy starved plate "fake tube"
preamp to begin with. Of course, that was an attempt to get something
cheap with a tube in it that didn't infringe on the Aphex 107 fake tube
circuit patent.

And to be fair, the 107 is a DARNED quiet cheap pre with very-lo-impedance
mics... And the tube does little damage.

I disagree. The 107 sounds a lot better with the tube stage removed,
and it's only about 10dB down after removing it, too. The whole reflected
plate silliness was a terrible idea. Admittedly the rest of the preamp
isn't so bad, but honestly it's nothing too impressive.

George Gleason

SSJVCmag wrote in
:

On 9/20/05 12:40 PM, in article
, "George
Gleason" wrote:

(hmmmnn.. T-shirt.. Blame Behringer... The back can have a
silk-screen of the Mackie filing papers...)

or a picture of the same papers thrown in the dust bin by the judge,
who correctly identified them as pointless driva

George

Drivel that suddenly and absolutely divested BEHRINGER of their entire
US sales distro and warrenty repair partner SAMASH leaving them in a
scramble for a year to rebuild one from the ground up...
But then I forget, that was a 'planned business move'.
We've been over this wayyy too many times...

Yes we have, yet you continue to not get it correct.

it seems behringers business plan is working quite well
they are leading the industry in customer support
and reaching markets that before have been unable to buy a compressor or
small mixer
mackie is even copying behringer business plan
even going them one better by directly copying the qsc rmx(I believe, you'd
have to ask Graham, as I could be wrong on which amp they copied) with
their Tapco amp
George

"Pat" skrev i en meddelelse
In article , "Q"
wrote:

I own one of those preamps, and while I am not too impressed with the

yellow
LEDs it does work, and has worked for several years with no issues at

all...
Obviously its not a Neve preamp, but it gets the job done..

I hope it has better shielding than the single-channel ones. Had a
fiddle player bring one of those single channel Behringer "tube" preamp
to a festival last year. Any time a stage tech tried to talk on the
radio, the preamp picked up a blast of RF. Very unpleasant...

I have not had any problems with RF pickup on this..

/peter

John O

they are leading the industry in customer support

An honest question: What does this mean exactly? That they answer more calls
than anybody...or get no calls? (I know a guy who reduced the number of
phone lines so he wouldn't have too many people on hold at once)

I was looking at a Behringer guitar amp with my son on Saturday, and that
thing had more crap on the front panel, I never saw an amp that required a
freakin' manual to use. :-) And it was 180 watts for $250, or something. We
didn't buy it.

-John O

George Gleason

"John O" wrote in
:

they are leading the industry in customer support

An honest question: What does this mean exactly? That they answer more
calls than anybody...or get no calls? (I know a guy who reduced the
number of phone lines so he wouldn't have too many people on hold at
once)

I was looking at a Behringer guitar amp with my son on Saturday, and
that thing had more crap on the front panel, I never saw an amp that
required a freakin' manual to use. :-) And it was 180 watts for $250,
or something. We didn't buy it.

-John O

It means you have a real flesh and blood person to contact (chris gomez/Jim
savery)who does what they say they will do
treat you with respect and genuinely want your behringer experiance to be
positive
often paying the in-bound shipping, if no local service is available
overnighting replacments
sometime even advance replacments
I had recent need for their nhelp and they went above and beyond what any
other manufacture has ever done
George

John O

It means you have a real flesh and blood person to contact (chris
gomez/Jim
savery)who does what they say they will do
treat you with respect and genuinely want your behringer experiance to be
positive
often paying the in-bound shipping, if no local service is available
overnighting replacments
sometime even advance replacments
I had recent need for their nhelp and they went above and beyond what any
other manufacture has ever done
George

Wow, somebody else that gets it. ;-)

-John O

david morley

John O wrote:

they are leading the industry in customer support

An honest question: What does this mean exactly? That they answer more calls
than anybody...or get no calls? (I know a guy who reduced the number of
phone lines so he wouldn't have too many people on hold at once)

I was looking at a Behringer guitar amp with my son on Saturday, and that
thing had more crap on the front panel, I never saw an amp that required a
freakin' manual to use. :-) And it was 180 watts for $250, or something. We
didn't buy it.

-John O

However they do a brilliant small amp....costs peanuts, sounds great.
George Gleason

"John O" wrote in
:

It means you have a real flesh and blood person to contact (chris

gomez/Jim
savery)who does what they say they will do
treat you with respect and genuinely want your behringer experiance
to be positive
often paying the in-bound shipping, if no local service is available
overnighting replacments
sometime even advance replacments
I had recent need for their nhelp and they went above and beyond
what any other manufacture has ever done
George

Wow, somebody else that gets it. ;-)

-John O

My first email was yesterday(monday) and the UPS truck just showed up with
a prepaid call tag 3:30 tuesday
george
John O

" I was looking at a Behringer guitar amp with my son on Saturday, and
that
thing had more crap on the front panel, I never saw an amp that required

freakin' manual to use. :-) And it was 180 watts for $250, or something.

We
didn't buy it.

-John O

However they do a brilliant small amp....costs peanuts, sounds great.

Seriously? Are you talking about a combo? I'll do the research, just point
me in a direction.

-John O