perso

Default Linux and audio pro

Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?
:
Linux agnula
Ardour +
Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall
soundcraft...
Fostex D 80
etc...
regards
reddred

"perso" wrote in message
Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?
:
Linux agnula

You should talk to the people who use it or work on it to find out the
viability there. Are you a programmer? Are you into synthesis? How familiar
are you with Linux? I'm asking because you might be better off with
something like Mandrake, and doing some customization.

Ardour +

It's being debugged in preparation for coming out of Beta. It's taking a
long, long time. You shouldn't use Beta software for things you care about.

Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall

By all accounts the drivers are solid.

Whatever you do, I'd strongly recommend NOT keeping your DAW on the
internet, after you build it. Build it once and leave it alone. Make music.

jb

kleinebre

It really depends on how you're using it and how important your
recordings are. For personal stuff it's definitely usable; sound
quality and usability of the tools are no issue.

However personally I'm not (yet) trusting it for live recording of
paying clients. If you have a recoverable crash in a home recording
situation, nothing is lost; of you have one during recording a live
concert, you lose the concert.

In my current setup, I'm mostly using Linux for recording the final
mixdown (which I do with a digital console), editing it and burning it
to CD, but not yet for realtime critical stuff.

Bit by bit things are getting more and more usable, and I do think you
can get quite far with just Linux. It's definitely not the easiest way,
but a bit of persistence goes a long way. I've had ardour crashing on
me more than once but that might be related to my unstable jackd setup
back then.

GNU wavecleaner does the trick of denoising (always make a backup of
your original before denoising, cause gwc is unstable as hell but it
does its work well otherwise). For normalizing etc I use rezound and
audacity, so personally I don't really have a big need for using
ardour. If I want to do any composing, my tools of choice are usually
soundtracker, or if I need something a bit more pro I use rosegarden
for a sequencer and fluidsynth/zynaddsubfx as softsynths (and aeolus if
I need a realistic sounding pipe organ).

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Marko Shindler

Linux?
Do you want to create music or twiddle with your computer?
Linux currently has at least 5 different sound servers, none of which
talk to each other. If you are interested in low latency you will have
to run Jack which is supposedly a low latency sound server that uses
ALSA (one of the Linux sound systems) to interface with your audio
hardware. The entire thing is one gigantic mess that requires endless
care and feeding.
How do I know?
I tried to do the very same thing about a month ago and finally gave up
because I found myself spending more time trying to make things work
than creating music. And before the Linux loonatics crawl out of mix, I
use Linux for my webserver and all my day to day operations and for
that, Linux is preferred over Windows in my opinion.
As for programs, your biggest problem is going to be QUALITY plugins.
There are many plugins that come with say Ardour (a decent program) but
they can't match the quality of even the most basic Windows/Mac plugin
in general.
Ardour is highly unstable and has an interface that reminds me of Logic
1.0.
Terrible!
Audacity is not a bad program, but it is no SoundForge.

If I were you, and I am assuming you are on a budget (why else would
anyone consider Linux for professional audio?) I would try N-Tracks and
scour the net for free plugins, many of which are very good.
If you are not on a budget, Sony was recently running a special on
SoungForge 8.0 for $99.00 and nothing Linux has can come close.

However, if your time is not worth anything and you don't mind losing
clients or at least having them laugh at you, try dynabolic for a
decent audio based distribution.

It will allow you to try things before hosing your entire system by
installing Linux.

http://lab.dyne.org/DyneBolic

You might also want to look up a person who calls himself "flatfish"
and resides in the Linux discussion groups.

One final note, the Linux quacks will come out of the woodwork telling
you how great Linux is and for many applications that is true. However
digital audio studio work is NOT one of them and also understand most
of them are programmers not musicians so their view on this is tilted
that way. They will also tell you how major Hollywood production
houses, ie:Pixar, have moved to Linux which is also true. Ask them when
you can purchase Pixar's grown in house software and also what on earth
does that have to do with a project studio?

Good luck
Marko

perso ha escrito:
Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?
:
Linux agnula
Ardour +
Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall
soundcraft...
Fostex D 80
etc...
regards

Kier

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:36:58 -0700, Marko Shindler wrote:

Linux?
Do you want to create music or twiddle with your computer?

Depends. Maybe I'd like to do both. It has been known.

Linux currently has at least 5 different sound servers, none of which
talk to each other. If you are interested in low latency you will have
to run Jack which is supposedly a low latency sound server that uses
ALSA (one of the Linux sound systems) to interface with your audio
hardware. The entire thing is one gigantic mess that requires endless
care and feeding.

No it isn't. It's pretty sophisticated. Probably too sophisticted for
someone like you.

How do I know?

You don't.

I tried to do the very same thing about a month ago and finally gave up
because I found myself spending more time trying to make things work
than creating music. And before the Linux loonatics crawl out of mix, I
use Linux for my webserver and all my day to day operations and for
that, Linux is preferred over Windows in my opinion.

I don't believe you.

As for programs, your biggest problem is going to be QUALITY plugins.
There are many plugins that come with say Ardour (a decent program) but
they can't match the quality of even the most basic Windows/Mac plugin
in general.

Nonsense.

Ardour is highly unstable and has an interface that reminds me of Logic
1.0.
Terrible!

Then use something else.

Audacity is not a bad program, but it is no SoundForge.

Why should it be?

If I were you, and I am assuming you are on a budget (why else would
anyone consider Linux for professional audio?)

They are interested in controlling all aspects of their music. And why do
you suppose musicians aren't on a budget?

I would try N-Tracks and
scour the net for free plugins, many of which are very good.
If you are not on a budget, Sony was recently running a special on
SoungForge 8.0 for $99.00 and nothing Linux has can come close.

Yeah right. Liar.

However, if your time is not worth anything and you don't mind losing
clients or at least having them laugh at you, try dynabolic for a
decent audio based distribution.

Why are you lying?

It will allow you to try things before hosing your entire system by
installing Linux.

No one will hose their system installing Linux, unless they're very
careless or stupid. But Dyne:bolic is certainly a great place to start
trying out Linux multimedia.

http://lab.dyne.org/DyneBolic

You might also want to look up a person who calls himself "flatfish"
and resides in the Linux discussion groups.

Why? Flatfish is a serial nymshifter and liar. His opinions are worthless.

One final note, the Linux quacks will come out of the woodwork telling
you how great Linux is and for many applications that is true. However
digital audio studio work is NOT one of them and also understand most
of them are programmers not musicians so their view on this is tilted
that way. They will also tell you how major Hollywood production
houses, ie:Pixar, have moved to Linux which is also true. Ask them when
you can purchase Pixar's grown in house software and also what on earth
does that have to do with a project studio?

Linux has a lot of very interesting and creative software for audio
creation. Some of it kind of technical. If you don't care for that, fine,
but don't slag it because you don't understand it. Others do.

(fup2COLA)

--
Kier

perso

reddred a écrit :
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?

Only for the serious Linux fanatic who'd rather build his own
operating system from a kit and keep adding to it weekly than buy a
Microsoft or Apple product. But then, aren't all Linux users like
that?

It's not that bad. If you're building a dedicated workstation, and want to
have as much of your system's resources as possible dedicated to audio, the
only platform that you can truly do that with is Linux. You can boot
straight to the GUI of your audio software, and don't need to run all the
crap that Windows and Mac crowbar into the OS. A lot of people like to mess
around with updates daily or weekly because it's a learning process for them
and they have software that isn't finished. It's not necessary, though. If
one wanted to build a machine that could, say, replace a multitrack device,
you only need to do it once - if, and only if, your chosen software works.

jb

When will you have time to do any recording, or make any music?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

ok

perso

reddred a écrit :
"perso" wrote in message

[...]

understood thanks.
jb

mandrake...
i'm french
but i prefer debian... :-)
Marko Shindler

They appear out of the woodwork like worms looking for a place to feed.
I'm convinced these Linux screwballs sit in waiting, just looking to
defend Linux.
Notice he hasn't said a word about your topic.
Sadly, this is a typical Linux screwball who can't see anything but
Linux and will lead unsuspecting noobs down the garden path in an
attempt to get them to switch to Linux.
These zealots unfortunately do much more harm than good.
Marko

Ku Karlovsky ha escrito:
[rec.audio.pro and comp.os.linux.misc unfloundered]

"Marko Shindler" wrote:

Linux?

Yes, Flatfish. Linux.

perso

Marko Shindler a écrit :
[...]

not really: i have sonar,
i 'm interested by Samplitude (good)

I think Linux is an interesting OS.
And Agnula a very good project
Ardour is only a beta version 0.9beta29 so let's wait.
interesting that's all ;-)))

maybe Pro tools LE for live recordings and Linux Audio Agnula/Ardour for
testing.

If you are not on a budget, Sony was recently running a special on
SoungForge 8.0 for $99.00 and nothing Linux has can come close.

However, if your time is not worth anything and you don't mind losing
clients or at least having them laugh at you, try dynabolic for a
decent audio based distribution.

[(i posted here but i'm not a professional. so i don't mind loosing
clients because i'm a jurist not a sound engineer ))) it will be for
semi pro applications and recordings, not professional. i don't care
about pro tools TDM... even it's my favorite soft+hardware... ]

Good luck
Marko

thanks

Marko Shindler

And here we have another Linux screwball who obviously has never used
any type of professional digital audio programs, but yet feels the need
to jump in and make baseless accusations without ever providing any
source for his information.
This is also typical of the Linux screwball.

See what I mean about Linux?
If you went to a Cubase group and asked about Sonar, you might get one
or two zealots attacking you, but when you get involved with Linux, and
tell it like it is, IOW in this case Linux is an extremely poor choice,
the kooks will come out of the woodwork looking to save the good name
of Linux.

Just remember that since Linux isn't a company so to speak, these are
the same people that you will be depending upon for support when the
program fails to perform, which is typical.

FWIW I got Ardour/Audacity/Jack working fine, I just didn't like the
programs. They were unstable, had horrid plugins and awful interfaces.

Marko

Kier ha escrito:
[...]

perso

Marko Shindler a écrit :
And here we have another Linux screwball who obviously has never used
any type of professional digital audio programs, but yet feels the need
to jump in and make baseless accusations without ever providing any
source for his information.
This is also typical of the Linux screwball.

See what I mean about Linux?
If you went to a Cubase group and asked about Sonar, you might get one
or two zealots attacking you

1 year ago I had at the same time Sonar + Cubase: very funny because no
one could really attack me
Linux was only an idea not MY only choice, gonna try Ardour but have a
closer look to PT or Samplitude (don't know,... )

, but when you get involved with Linux, and
tell it like it is, IOW in this case Linux is an extremely poor choice,
the kooks will come out of the woodwork looking to save the good name
of Linux.

ok you hate linux understood.
it was only a question, keep cool...

Just remember that since Linux isn't a company so to speak, these are
the same people that you will be depending upon for support when the
program fails to perform, which is typical.

FWIW I got Ardour/Audacity/Jack working fine, I just didn't like the
programs. They were unstable, had horrid plugins and awful interfaces.

Marko

;-)

J. P. Morris

Mike Rivers wrote:

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?

Only for the serious Linux fanatic who'd rather build his own
operating system from a kit and keep adding to it weekly than buy a
Microsoft or Apple product. But then, aren't all Linux users like
that?

That reads very much like some kind of troll, but I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt.

Whether Linux is the answer really depends on what you want, and what
your priorities are.
Linux has several advantages, and the obvious disadvantages that it
currently expects a technical user rather than any old moron.

What Linux will give you is a system that doesn't require activation
or monthly subscription fees to keep it going (which is what Microsoft
has been wanting to do for a long time).

If one of your PCI cards flakes out and you have to replace it, Linux
won't hold the system hostage like Windows has to me, e.g.:

'You will plug me into the phone line NOW that I may commune with
Microsoft. If you fail to comply, Windows will be destroyed.
You have three earth days.'

And what are you going to do when Microsoft turns off the activation
server for XP? Preventing XP from being able to be installed ever
again is a truly fantastic way to 'persuade' people to upgrade to
Longhorn, or Blackcomb, or whatever the product of the day happens to
be at that point.
Your audio software might not even work on the new version, or it
might be so full to the hilt with DRM that it just can't be used for
audio work at all.

One of Microsoft's grand ideas is to rework the OS so that only
..NET bytecode programs can be run, and thus kept safely in line
through VM sandboxing.
Legacy applications will run inside an x86 VM based on VirtualPC,
which will let you run Doom or whatever, but the performance hit
will totally destroy a softsynth or DAW.

When will you have time to do any recording, or make any music?

The same can often be said of Windows, unfortunately.

However, you can customise the system to a far greater degree
than Windows. If you DO go the torturous route of building the
system up from scratch, you get to choose exactly what runs and when.
You can at a stroke abolish the Windows bugbear of some obscure and
hidden system process that decides to thrash the disk in the middle of a
take, draining the audio buffer and causing dropouts.

But you spoke only of Linux, Windows and the Mac. There is also
a fourth alternative which you have not mentioned, and that is ReactOS.
Sadly it is early days yet, but the promise is of a Windows-compatible
OS without the Sword-Of-Damocles that is Windows Product Activation.

It can be found he http://www.reactos.com

I say again, it is early days. It won't even run on my hardware yet.
But I eagerly await the day when it becomes feature-complete enough
to run Sonar. Then I can rid myself of Windows once and for all.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Fun things to do with the Ultima games
perso

J. P. Morris a écrit :
Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

LOL
(O)S tar) wars III started. "the Sword-Of-Damocles that is Windows
Product Activation "
;-))

windows xp is the worst os never made... I have xp pro and 2000 pro, I
prefer win2K no doubt !
perso

J. P. Morris a écrit :
Then I can rid myself of Windows once and for all.

serious decision.

so, for a non professional project (sorry but i need profesionnals . of
vue), (semi pro) may i try Samplitude + RME soundcards, or pro tools
LE/digidesign systems .?

regards/
Richard Crowley

"J. P. Morris" wrote ...
Whether Linux is the answer really depends on what you
want, and what your priorities are.
Linux has several advantages, and the obvious disadvantages that it
currently expects a technical user rather than any old moron.

And if you can't get it to work, you'll be relying on help from
people who think you are a moron. Good luck with that.

If one of your PCI cards flakes out and you have to replace it, Linux
won't hold the system hostage like Windows has to me, e.g.:

No. You'll just need to find one that is still in production that
has working Linux drivers. Good luck with that as well.

Marko Shindler wrote:
snip

Seriously flatfish, you need to get a life.

Marko Shindler

perso ha escrito:
not really: i have sonar,
i 'm interested by Samplitude (good)

Ok, I apologize for mis-understanding.
If you use Sonar (I do!) and are interested in Samplitude (I use 7.x
myself) you will not be interested in Linux because those programs are
in a totally different league than ANY of the Linux offerings.

I think Linux is an interesting OS.
And Agnula a very good project
Ardour is only a beta version 0.9beta29 so let's wait.
interesting that's all ;-)))

Interesting is fine, but if you are a musician your burning desire is
to create music and Linux will hinder that big time.
If you are interested in learning about computers, operating systems
and learning Linux while at the same time tinkering with digital audio,
then maybe Linux is a good choice for you.
Only you know what your goals are.

maybe Pro tools LE for live recordings and Linux Audio Agnula/Ardour for
testing.

That's essentially the way I approached it. I did a dual boot on my DAW
workstation and shared a FAT32 drive between Suse 9.3 Linux and
Windows.
What I discovered was that Linux audio programs, while functional and
certainly inexpensive enough, are WAY behind the curve of even the most
basic Windows based program, like N-tracks for example.

[(i posted here but i'm not a professional. so i don't mind loosing
clients because i'm a jurist not a sound engineer ))) it will be for
semi pro applications and recordings, not professional. i don't care
about pro tools TDM... even it's my favorite soft+hardware... ]

I don't use Protools either.
Look, if you want to test try dynebolic because it is much more
current, and better supported than agnula.
BTW I don't hate Linux, like I said it runs my web server and I use it
for all my other stuff.
However, I tell it like it is and Linux is a disaster for a home studio
unless your time means nothing and you have no money.
Seeing as you already use Sonar, Linux will be a major step down.

thanks

You're welcome!
Marko

Marko Shindler

Richard Crowley ha escrito:
"J. P. Morris" wrote ...
Whether Linux is the answer really depends on what you
want, and what your priorities are.
Linux has several advantages, and the obvious disadvantages that it
currently expects a technical user rather than any old moron.

And if you can't get it to work, you'll be relying on help from
people who think you are a moron. Good luck with that.

Exactly and this thread is a prime example of that.
Linux people as a whole are nasty, rabid zealots and I know this is a
sweeping statement, but there is much evidence of it being so and my
own experiences have proven it to me.
They are as a group, programmers, not musicians and they look down upon
anyone asking for help who doesn't have a degree in programming.
The Linux community has a difficult time understanding the concept of
the computer/operating system as a tool, or a means to an end.
They prefer instead to tinker with the computer instead of using
applications.
It's kind of a weird Star Wars/Trekie type oddball that gravitates
toward Linux.

If one of your PCI cards flakes out and you have to replace it, Linux
won't hold the system hostage like Windows has to me, e.g.:

No. You'll just need to find one that is still in production that
has working Linux drivers. Good luck with that as well.

RME is the best card for Linux.
M-Audio is a close second.
Other than that? You are out of luck.

This is a classic example of how the Linux community at large will lie
through their teeth to sucker in yet another convert.
It's almost like the Hari Krishners for goodness sakes.
Marko

Andrew

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:36:58 -0700, Marko Shindler wrote:

Linux?
Do you want to create music or twiddle with your computer? Linux
currently has at least 5 different sound servers, none of which talk to
each other. If you are interested in low latency you will have to run
Jack which is supposedly a low latency sound server that uses ALSA (one
of the Linux sound systems) to interface with your audio hardware. The
entire thing is one gigantic mess that requires endless care and
feeding.
How do I know?
I tried to do the very same thing about a month ago and finally gave up
because I found myself spending more time trying to make things work
than creating music.

I dunno anything about sound processing, but I know there are similar
problems with other categories of software. There is some discussion
going on right now over at debianhelp.org about the failure of the open
source movement to produce enough decent software.

One recommended solution was that we start paying programming teams to
come up with high-grade usable software that is released to the public
domain. This makes sense - we will not attract and hold new users unless
we start meeting their program needs and expectations. The last thing a
newcomer wants to see is massively buggy programs or a console and command
line programs.

I would imagine that a quality music processing suite (as sophisticated as
Open Office, Gimp or Mathematica) would go a long way to attracting new,
young users. What do you folks think?

Andre Majorel

On 2005-05-28, perso wrote:

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?
:
Linux agnula
Ardour +
Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall
soundcraft...
Fostex D 80
etc...
regards

Hoping this is not another troll,

If you have to ask, the answer is probably no. Unless you're
patient, either knowledgeable or willing to learn, and above all
willing to trade some functionality or convenience for the
pleasure of running libre software on a libre OS.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )

Andre Majorel

On 2005-05-28, Marko Shindler wrote:

Do you want to create music or twiddle with your computer?
Linux currently has at least 5 different sound servers, none of which
talk to each other. If you are interested in low latency you will have
to run Jack which is supposedly a low latency sound server that uses
ALSA (one of the Linux sound systems) to interface with your audio
hardware. The entire thing is one gigantic mess that requires endless
care and feeding.
How do I know?
I tried to do the very same thing about a month ago and finally gave up
because I found myself spending more time trying to make things work
than creating music.

My experience with Unix in general and Linux in particular has
been that it's a low-maintenance OS. Initially, getting things
to work can be extremely difficult, but once it works, you can
pretty much forget about it. What part of the system required
endless "care and feeding" ?

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )
What worries me is not the violence of the few, but the
indifference of the many. -- M. L. King
philicorda

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:52:44 +0200, perso wrote:

Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but
"serious" home studio ?

I'd say the best thing to do is to install agnula, or a live distro like
fervent, and give it a go. Even if you only have a bog standard pc
and sound card right now, at least you will get a feel of the apps and how
it works before committing yourself either way.

I like many of the audio apps on Linux, and run a Linux pc in tandem with
a dual boot Linux/Cubase win2k one. The Linux pc handles soft synths,
heavy duty effects and some recording with Ardour.

I would not record someone's album with Ardour, as I don't trust it yet.
For my personal music, it's fine. It's best suited to use as a traditional
multitrack, as it does not support midi (you can sync a sequencer like
Rosegarden with it, but I find that awkward.)

:
Linux agnula
Ardour +
Delta 1010 or RME Hammerfall
soundcraft...
Fostex D 80
etc...
regards

reddred

"Marko Shindler" wrote in message
ups.com...
stupid ****

You crossposted this from rec.audio.pro to dumbass land? Gee, thanks.

jb

[...]

Geoff Wood

"perso" wrote in message
Hi

I'm actually thinking about a project of home studio, linux based.

Do you think Ardour could be a serious choice for a personal but "serious"
home studio ?

Look at the feature set of Ardour, it's reliability and functionality. Also
look at te audio subsystems of Linux and compatibility with the tools you
may find you need.

Is the main objective to "construct a project home studio" based on Linux,
or to construct a real usable versatile PCDAW that really works ?

geoff

Geoff Wood

"J. P. Morris" wrote in message news:4298e014$0$541

If one of your PCI cards flakes out and you have to replace it, Linux
won't hold the system hostage like Windows has to me, e.g.:

'You will plug me into the phone line NOW that I may commune with
Microsoft. If you fail to comply, Windows will be destroyed.
You have three earth days.'

Jeepers, that must be for Liniots only. The rest of us get 30 days. And
not from a trivial PCI card swap.

geoff

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

It's not that bad. If you're building a dedicated workstation, and want to
have as much of your system's resources as possible dedicated to audio, the
only platform that you can truly do that with is Linux. You can boot
straight to the GUI of your audio software, and don't need to run all the
crap that Windows and Mac crowbar into the OS.

Commendable, but how many people who ask on an audio newsgroup if
Linux is a reasonable platform are really savvy enough to build a
dedicated audio workstation? I'm not saying it can't be done, just not
advisable for anyone who still needs advice. Here, we're better
equipped to advise someone who already has a solid Linux based audio
workstation running what would be good peripheral hardware.

A lot of people like to mess
around with updates daily or weekly because it's a learning process for them
and they have software that isn't finished.

Isn't Ardour still in that phase? I suppose, though, that at any time
now, a user could declare it "finished" and just use it. That's kind
of the sense I get from reading their web page recently. But not many
people have the discipline to not update their system whenever
something new comes along. It's one thing (Microsoft notwithstanding,
sometimes) when the update comes from a major manufacturer with
thorough testing behind it, but with an open development environment,
it's hard to tell when an update is stable, or even worth while,
without each user spending some time with it.

If
one wanted to build a machine that could, say, replace a multitrack device,
you only need to do it once - if, and only if, your chosen software works.

Well, TASCAM did it, Mackie did it, Fostex did it, Alesis did it.
Where are those machines today? It's a great concept. I thing that my
Mackie HDR is a big step up from my 2" analog recorder both in sound
and reliability, plus there are some things that I can do easily with
the Mackie that are difficult or impossible with the Ampex.
Fortunately I don't need to do those those tricks often with the
projects that I have, but they're available if I need them.

Still, the market seems to be strongly bent toward general purpose
computers configured as full blown audio workstations. Cost and
availability seem to be the major forces. There's still room for
pioneers and experimenters, but it takes a fair amount of time to keep
up with the technology, and that takes time away from the presumed
goal of audio production.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Liam Slider

On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:36:58 -0700, Marko Shindler wrote:

Linux currently has at least 5 different sound servers, none of which
talk to each other

Nice try Flatfish, but you know that this is incorrect, as are your other
gripes.

Liam Slider

On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:34:21 +0000, Andre Majorel wrote:

snip

My experience with Unix in general and Linux in particular has
been that it's a low-maintenance OS. Initially, getting things
to work can be extremely difficult, but once it works, you can
pretty much forget about it. What part of the system required
endless "care and feeding" ?

His ego, it's name is Flatfish.

Jeremy Fisher

On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:41:01 -0500, Andrew wrote:

I dunno anything about sound processing, but I know there are similar
problems with other categories of software. There is some discussion
going on right now over at debianhelp.org about the failure of the open
source movement to produce enough decent software.

One recommended solution was that we start paying programming teams to
come up with high-grade usable software that is released to the public
domain. This makes sense - we will not attract and hold new users unless
we start meeting their program needs and expectations. The last thing a
newcomer wants to see is massively buggy programs or a console and command
line programs.

I would imagine that a quality music processing suite (as sophisticated as
Open Office, Gimp or Mathematica) would go a long way to attracting new,
young users. What do you folks think?

I like to mess about with sound, and have found that their are some great
packages, I have found that getting sound out of linux box's is easy,
but not when it comes to plugging in Midi keyboards. The problem I keep
finding is that the sound card I have does not have good support (why
manufactures don't realise drivers is beyond reason) and worse I use a
distro SuSe that is configured so Alsa and Jack are not easy to build. I
think the use of linux box's for music processing is slowly building and
will rapidly improve, at the moment if you want to do music processing
pick a distro that is geared up for it and a sound card with good support.

Can anybody reccomend a card with linux drivers?

Jem..

perso

Marko Shindler a écrit :

perso ha escrito:

not really: i have sonar,
i 'm interested by Samplitude (good)

Ok, I apologize for mis-understanding.

;-)))

if i could, even i'm a non professional, i'd have pro tools + sam +
sonar + nuendo ;-)

[...]

N-Tracks ? never tried.

I don't use Protools either.
Look, if you want to test try dynebolic because it is much more
current, and better supported than agnula.

thanks
BTW I don't hate Linux, like I said it runs my web server and I use it
for all my other stuff.
However, I tell it like it is and Linux is a disaster for a home studio
unless your time means nothing and you have no money.
Seeing as you already use Sonar, Linux will be a major step down.

ok as de gaulle said "Je vous ai compris"

thanks

You're welcome!
Marko

;-)
my project: sonar or sam (7/8 don't know) on computer 1
linux audio for testing on computer 2 (for fun if you prefer)

J. P. Morris

Geoff Wood wrote:

"J. P. Morris" wrote in message news:4298e014$0$541

If one of your PCI cards flakes out and you have to replace it, Linux
won't hold the system hostage like Windows has to me, e.g.:

'You will plug me into the phone line NOW that I may commune with
Microsoft. If you fail to comply, Windows will be destroyed.
You have three earth days.'

Jeepers, that must be for Liniots only. The rest of us get 30 days. And
not from a trivial PCI card swap.

Try swapping two or three cards then. It does happen, and it is only
three days. Thirty days for initial registration, three days for changing
the hardware. Of course, none of this nonsense will happen with W2K.

By the way, in case my post came off wrongly, which appears to be the
case, I'd like to clarify it a little:

* Windows has problems. You may find these to be acceptable to you.

* Linux solves the licensing problems, but causes other problems.

* For my purposes, Linux is not yet ready as an audio platform.
(Although as you can see from the headers, I use it for everything else)

* I should not have used the word 'moron'. People have inferred from this,
wrongly, that I was calling all Windows users 'morons'.

* People who dislike Windows but are tied to it should explore ReactOS as
a possible alternative, since it should give the ability to deploy
Windows-based audio software without fear of Microsoft pulling the version
you need in future (as they are often wont to do).

geoff

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Fun things to do with the Ultima games
http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----
Kier

On Sat, 28 May 2005 14:16:30 -0700, Marko Shindler wrote:

And here we have another Linux screwball who obviously has never used
any type of professional digital audio programs, but yet feels the need
to jump in and make baseless accusations without ever providing any
source for his information.

Incorrect. I am not 'a Linux screwball'. I'm a Linux *user*.

This is also typical of the Linux screwball.

You're the only one whose behaviour is in any way 'typical', so far.
Typical of a troll, that is.

See what I mean about Linux?

No. I don't. And nor will any other honest user.

If you went to a Cubase group and asked about Sonar, you might get one
or two zealots attacking you, but when you get involved with Linux, and
tell it like it is, IOW in this case Linux is an extremely poor choice,
the kooks will come out of the woodwork looking to save the good name
of Linux.

The good name of Linux is not in jeopardy, and we are not kooks. That's
your biggest mistake. Sure, Linux isn't the most obvious platform for
audio work, and you may need some technical expertise to get the best
from it, but it still has huge potential. If you were really interested in
finding out about what it can do, you'd be reading 'Linux User and
Developer', which has been running an in-depth series of articles about
Linux audio, not slagging it off here.

Just remember that since Linux isn't a company so to speak, these are
the same people that you will be depending upon for support when the
program fails to perform, which is typical.

No, it isn't typical. Again, you make statements which you cannot support.
And no, Linux iteslf is not a company, but you can buy support for any
regular distro, and the support of the community is also excellent, if you
treat the community with respect.

FWIW I got Ardour/Audacity/Jack working fine, I just didn't like the
programs. They were unstable, had horrid plugins and awful interfaces.

If you don't are for the programs, that's fine, no one is asking you to.
Just don't lie about them. If you don't find the interfaces appealing, why
not get in touch with the maintainers and suggest some improvements?
That's how the Linux community works.

If you got the apps working fine, why are you complaining?

You may be a genuine poster, but your atitude, and the use fo such
epithets as 'Linux kook', 'Linux screwball', makes that doubtful. If you
have honest criticisms to make, please use less inflammatory language, and
you may be better received.

I don't think Linux audio is perfect, or a slot-in replacement for the
apps you may be used to, but it has many plus points, if you're willing to
put in some effort. You can design your own music creation tools, for a
start, tailored to your own personal needs. That's got to be a good thing,
right? You can have total control over your music making.

And please don't top-post, it makes replying to you unnecessarily
difficult.

--
Kier
Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
Marko Shindler wrote:
They appear out of the woodwork like worms looking for a place to feed.
I'm convinced these Linux screwballs sit in waiting, just looking to
defend Linux.

Well, you are crossposting this thread to comp.os.unix.advocacy, where indeed
defending Linux is the whole purpose of the group.

Personally, I don't like computers very much and I think if you want to have
a home studio that you should look into an 8-track Ampex machine. But that's
a personal bias. Maybe we should start a rec.audio.pro.ampex.advocacy.

Notice he hasn't said a word about your topic.
Sadly, this is a typical Linux screwball who can't see anything but
Linux and will lead unsuspecting noobs down the garden path in an
attempt to get them to switch to Linux.

May I suggest looking at the Newsgroups: line before replying?