Les Cargill

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

snip
If so, please inform them that they can acheive fame and fortune by
formalizing this process and offering it up for peer review at the
AES. It'd be like developing a software model for spectrographic
data that could predict how good a wine was.

You just don't understood the point being made. The technical electronic
design issues of tone controls, compressors, reverb units, amplifiers,
are all well understood and a done deal.

If that were true, there'd be nothing
to discuss.

There's not, um, nothing to
discuss. There's one heck of a lot of
badly, badly broken stuff out there,
some of it insanely expensive.

snip
"Beware bugs in the above code. I have only proven
it correct, I haven't tested it" - Knuth.

FWIW, I know some engineers like that.

By and large, they all are.

No sir. Not all.

My caste makes
a living cleaning up after 'em.

With 1000's of engineers, your work shovelling **** must be well cut out
for you.

Quite.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

--
Les Cargill
Les Cargill

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

snip
There are folks out there who actually still
care about quality.

"Worked most of the time" automatically includes quality.

"Works all the time" is a start.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

--
Les Cargill
Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:13:33 GMT, Les Cargill
wrote:

"Worked most of the time" automatically includes quality.

"Works all the time" is a start.

And works in surprising conditions, after being mistreated, on
a bad day with a headwind, is really only a small second step.

"Professional" is a word much abused. But, like the Supreme's
decision on pornography, you'll know it when you see it.

Chris Hornbeck
Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:11:22 GMT, Les Cargill
wrote:

With 1000's of engineers, your work shovelling **** must be well cut out
for you.

Quite.

Perhaps it's gratifying to be the ****ter, rather than the ****ee.
Would take a certain mindset, I guess, and a certain attitude.

Chris Hornbeck
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Les Cargill" wrote in message...

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

There are folks out there who actually still
care about quality.

"Worked most of the time" automatically includes quality.

"Works all the time" is a start.

I say, you handled that rather well, young man. ;-)

Les Cargill

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

There are folks out there who actually still
care about quality.

"Worked most of the time" automatically includes quality.

"Works all the time" is a start.

I say, you handled that rather well, young man. ;-)

If only I were so young. Thankee sai.

It's like these people think they can leverege against
mortality with accounts. See also "Dickens, Charles".

Nope. You leave the stains you leave. Better be
careful about 'em.

FWIW, I cleaned three (3) toilets tonight. And I
reserve the right to remain confsed.

--
Les Cargill
Kevin Aylward

Les Cargill wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Les Cargill wrote:

snip
If so, please inform them that they can acheive fame and fortune by
formalizing this process and offering it up for peer review at the
AES. It'd be like developing a software model for spectrographic
data that could predict how good a wine was.

You just don't understood the point being made. The technical
electronic design issues of tone controls, compressors, reverb
units, amplifiers, are all well understood and a done deal.

If that were true, there'd be nothing
to discuss.

One discusses how to optimally implement equipment constrained by such
issues with regard to design time, product cost, size etc. This can have
engineers endlessly blathering at design reviews.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

anahata

Kevin Aylward wrote:
One discusses how to optimally implement equipment constrained by such
issues with regard to design time, product cost, size etc. This can have
engineers endlessly blathering at design reviews.

Inded - but that's the designers, and depending on what markets they are
designing for they make different balances especially of cost vs.
performance. On top of that, some get it more right than others, and in
some cases the engineers' conclusions get overruled by management,
marketing and other departments...

The discussions here are from the customers/users point of view, looking
at the end product of all the above, sometimes with a very different
view of what's wanted.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Geoff Wood

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message

Ah, so you took the easy way out.

Yes indeed. As do we all. Its programmed in all of us by milions of years
of evolution.

Only by flakes.

geoff

Arny Krueger

Charles Krug wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:42:54 -0700, Jay Kadis
wrote:
In article

,
"Kevin Aylward" wrote:

"Worked most of the time" automatically includes

quality.

Does that apply to your pacemaker, too?

Medical equipment is designed to a completely different

standard than
consumer or even "professional" audio gear.

What is the consequence and company exposure if a

microphone fails?

The SR guy has a heart attack! ;-)

Mark

?

What is the consequence and company exposure if an MRI system

collapses?
If it applies too much radiation? If a pacemaker fails in use?

As long as we are talking engineering, lets get it right...

an MRI machine does not use any nuclear radiation.

They used to be called NMR machines for nuclear magnetic resonance, but
no one would get in one with that name.

MRI or NMR machines use magnetic fields, not nuclear radiation.

Mark

Arny Krueger

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

?

What is the consequence and company exposure if an MRI

system
collapses?
If it applies too much radiation? If a pacemaker fails

in use?

As long as we are talking engineering, lets get it

right...

an MRI machine does not use any nuclear radiation.

I believe that the most well-known case of radiation injury
due to equipment failure involved an electron-beam
generator:

http://www.ccnr.org/fatal_dose.html

They used to be called NMR machines for nuclear magnetic

resonance, but
no one would get in one with that name.

MRI or NMR machines use magnetic fields, not nuclear

radiation.

Agreed.

Mark

yes it was a software bug if I recall

Mark

Bill Van Dyk

That might be somewhat true, but no one should have the illusion that a
different species of humans works on medical equipment, designs or
builds it, or administers it.

In a rare instance, medical doctors in Israel once went on strike. The
death rate, during the strike, declined. This was not explainable due
to postponed surgeries or deferred treatments.

http://www.silentbetrayal.com/news/doctorstrike.htm

The "completely different standard" may be largely an illusion. But
I'll bet they pay dearly for it.

Charles Krug wrote:

Medical equipment is designed to a completely different standard than
consumer or even "professional" audio gear.

What is the consequence and company exposure if a microphone fails?

What is the consequence and company exposure if an MRI system collapses?
If it applies too much radiation? If a pacemaker fails in use?

All of that extra testing and verifying costs money, which is reflected
in the relative cost of the equipment in question.