reddred

"play_on" wrote in message
On 25 Feb 2005 11:29:38 -0800, "will" wrote:

different business model for the record industry is one thing, but
don't think all the blame lies with so-called 'greedy' label execs.

CDs cost about 60 cents to make, and they sell for $17. Are you
saying that the lion's share of that money is going to the artists?

Al

You realize that a record store pays between 5 and 10 bucks for a CD, don't
you?

jb

reddred

"Trevor de Clercq"

I guess I feel musicians should make their money from teaching,
performing, working as technicians/engineers, or just working regular
jobs. So the "music industry" dying doesn't seem a big deal to me. I
think CDs should cost money to pay for the packaging and distribution
costs, but the royalties are a weird thing.

I have never once heard someone who makes a living making music, however
meager that living, say they would rather be working a day job.

And the funny thing is, all you guys that think there is no way to make
money distributing music, whether on CD's or over the internet, are just
plain wrong.

jb

Kurt Albershardt

play_on wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:43:05 GMT, Stu Venable
wrote:

Wasn't (or isn't) the whole purpose of touring to promote the record?

Not all. For many bands touring is making money. For example, ZZ Top
in the early part of their career were a top concert draw, more than
their record sales would suggest. They didn't have a top 40 hit until
much later. The Grateful Dead of course is another example of this.

Which is why the ClearChannel practice of locking down the radio promotion of concerts was such a scary development.

reddred

"Trevor de Clercq" wrote in message
news:1109369904.1a047c680ceb604ebc07b305732591fc@t eranews...
Because it's worth spending money on art and music for no other reason
than to create quality art and music. When did people start making
music solely because they wanted to make money?

I think it was in ancient Greece. I know for sure it's been since the 12th
century or so.

jb
..

Kurt Albershardt

will wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think that $17.00 for some of the crap that
passes as music today is pretty awful. I won't defend the high price
of CD's. But, I've always thought that there should be a two-tiered
scale for releases: one lower priced product for new artists so that
they can build an audience and get some sales and one higher priced for
established artists.

There is: 16.98 and 17.98 (which used to be $3.98 and 4.98, which used to be...)

Notice the trend of percentage differential between the two prices.

Oh, and on the overall price issue: Weren't LPs 7.98 list when the CD came out at 11.98? The additional cost was allegedly due to the high pressing cost ($4-5 IIRC) and low yields from the early pressing plants (10% or more rejects.) Those production costs dropped dramatically, the artist royalty remained in the same ballpark, but the retail nearly doubled. Just some food for thought.

dt king

"reddred" wrote in message

"Trevor de Clercq"

I guess I feel musicians should make their money from teaching,
performing, working as technicians/engineers, or just working regular
jobs. So the "music industry" dying doesn't seem a big deal to me. I
think CDs should cost money to pay for the packaging and distribution
costs, but the royalties are a weird thing.

I have never once heard someone who makes a living making music, however
meager that living, say they would rather be working a day job.

I've turned hobbies into dayjobs at least three times in my life. It never
fails to ruin the hobby for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep music
just for fun. I am comforted that Vanilla Ice doesn't have to go get a real
job, though.

dtk

Scott Dorsey

Hev wrote:

It isn't stealing. You just can't accept the new vehicle in which music is
being delivered to the market. And because of this thinking people still
aren't getting paid and still aren't utilizing what may be the best
connection to their target market they have ever had in their history.

It's not a "market." A market is where buyers and sellers trade a product.
When people are getting something they haven't paid for and buyers are left
out in the cold, there is no marketing taking place.

Hev

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Hev wrote:

It isn't stealing. You just can't accept the new vehicle in which music is
being delivered to the market. And because of this thinking people still
aren't getting paid and still aren't utilizing what may be the best
connection to their target market they have ever had in their history.

It's not a "market." A market is where buyers and sellers trade a
product.
When people are getting something they haven't paid for and buyers are
left
out in the cold, there is no marketing taking place.
--scott

Are you sarcastically emphasizing why the industry needs to adapt or die?
Or are you really that stuck on the "morals" you are accustom with to see
what is happening?
It is a revolution and the music industry dinosaurs don't get it!

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he

play_on

On 25 Feb 2005 16:38:48 -0800, "will" wrote:

play_on wrote:
CDs cost about 60 cents to make, and they sell for $17. Are you
saying that the lion's share of that money is going to the artists?

Al

Oh, right. As if the record label gets all $17.00. Read up on how
retail and wholesale works.

Isn't that the whole point of this discussion? How modern methods of
distribution are making older models obsolete? Without all the
parasitic middle men, music doesn't have to be as expensive.

Then take a quick course in how to operate
a profitable business.

Yes, we know it's easier to make money when you can sign artists to
contracts that benefit the company more than the artist. Despite
their whining they do continue to make profits. Meanwhile, as a
result of the corporate system, popular music is filled with
marginally talented, manufactured "stars".

There's quite a lot of misinformation going
around about all this. The record company takes ALL of the risk and
pays for EVERYTHING up front- artwork, packaging, promotion,
distribution, shipping, etc. -

This is precisely the kind of stuff that the internet is rendering
obsolete. You no longer need conventional distribution, advertising
and shipping if people can download your music.

and that's all BESIDE the fact that
they've paid for all of the costs associated in producing that
masterpiece. Then they have to wait for many months, sometimes years,
to get it back. What's that business running on in that meantime?
Shouldn't the label be allowed to recoup what it spent plus some
interest? It is huge risk, after all and if you check out how any
business works that deals with risk, you'll find they work in a
similiar manner. Check out venture capitalists, for example.

And how many record companies are really hurting? This used to be a
multi-million dollar business, now it's a multi-billion dollar
business.

And another thing - if the artist bombs he walks away. Who pays for
that? Because the label retains ownership of the product they might be
able to offset some of the loss by selling that product as cut-outs,
but that doesn't bring in much. Now figure in just how many artists
actually have a positive sales record over how many actually are signed
and muItiply this over and over. Is this making any sense to you?
You're an artist and you want to play the game but don't have any money
- fine, but it's going to cost you on the backside of the deal.

Right... and how many artists have money?

Otherwise, do it yourself and you pay for everything. But you won't
have the benefit of the marketing, distribution, promotion, product
availability, etc. that the label provides to the artist.

Yep... but as I said before, this role of the record company becomes
less and less crucial as the delivery of music via broadband becomes
ascendant.

One of the big problems is that many in artist management (and many
artists) want that big advance. If the market went to paying for what
actually sold - after it sold - it'd be a very different game. Mostly
because you'd be dealing in real numbers. But, management has fought
that tooth and nail over the years because they'd have to wait to get
paid and possibly they wouldn't get paid as much. And they don't have
to pay for recoupment - the artist does. Free money for management at
the expense of the artist! That's only one part of the story, but an
important one.

Don't get me wrong, I think that $17.00 for some of the crap that
passes as music today is pretty awful. I won't defend the high price
of CD's. But, I've always thought that there should be a two-tiered
scale for releases: one lower priced product for new artists so that
they can build an audience and get some sales and one higher priced for
established artists.

It's already evolved into that, since many new artists voluntarily
offer their music online for free.

But, even with the higher price I will buy
releases of artists that I like and believe in. They are getting
something from that sale which they wouldn't if I stole it on the
internet.

I support artists I like too. But being an older guy I buy very few
CDs by newer artists, and much of what I do buy is older music. I
*really* resent having to pay high CD prices for old-time music by
artists who are long dead.

I often illegally download new music that I hear a buzz about, just to
check it out. I'm not into paying $17 just to try something,
especially when the odds are about 10 to 1 that I won't like it. If I
do like the music, then I might spend the money on it, but I'm not
going to pay those kind of prices just to stay informed about current
acts. But I'm not the problem. The problem is people like my
stepdaughter who doesn't have the money to pay $17 for a CD just to
hear the one song she likes... so she downloads the one song for free
instead. Paying for music is a foreign concept for her. Kids like
her are the challenge that the record companies have to face.

Al
Paul Thomas

Hev wrote:
Are you sarcastically emphasizing why the industry needs to adapt or

die?
Or are you really that stuck on the "morals" you are accustom with to

see
what is happening?
It is a revolution and the music industry dinosaurs don't get it!

"We have rudiments of reverence for the human body, but we consider as
nothing the rape of the human mind." -Eric Hoffer

play_on

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:58:07 -0500, "reddred"
wrote:

"play_on" wrote in message
.. .
On 25 Feb 2005 11:29:38 -0800, "will" wrote:

different business model for the record industry is one thing, but
don't think all the blame lies with so-called 'greedy' label execs.

CDs cost about 60 cents to make, and they sell for $17. Are you
saying that the lion's share of that money is going to the artists?

Al

You realize that a record store pays between 5 and 10 bucks for a CD, don't
you?

I thought that was the point of this discussion -- that the middlemen
are fast becoming obsolete, thanks to the internet. What's your
point? Why should I support the record labels, distributors, and
stores over the artist, if I can buy directly from the artist?

Al
play_on

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:06:09 -0500, "reddred"
wrote:

"Trevor de Clercq" wrote in message
news:1109369904.1a047c680ceb604ebc07b305732591fc@ teranews...
Because it's worth spending money on art and music for no other reason
than to create quality art and music. When did people start making
music solely because they wanted to make money?

I think it was in ancient Greece. I know for sure it's been since the 12th
century or so.

jb

I'm not sure where you get your information, but until fairly recently
trained musicians made money only at the whim of their royal patrons,
or other supporters. In the case of indigenous people, music was and
is made as an integrated part of culture, not for profit.

Al

Paul Thomas

"When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to
remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for
the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them
to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not
ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." -Ayn Rand
http://www.working-minds.com/money.htm

reddred

"play_on" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:58:07 -0500, "reddred"
wrote:

"play_on" wrote in message
.. .
On 25 Feb 2005 11:29:38 -0800, "will" wrote:

different business model for the record industry is one thing, but
don't think all the blame lies with so-called 'greedy' label execs.

CDs cost about 60 cents to make, and they sell for $17. Are you
saying that the lion's share of that money is going to the artists?

Al

You realize that a record store pays between 5 and 10 bucks for a CD,

don't
you?

I thought that was the point of this discussion -- that the middlemen
are fast becoming obsolete, thanks to the internet. What's your
point? Why should I support the record labels, distributors, and
stores over the artist, if I can buy directly from the artist?

If you can, by all means. There are direct sales from artists, and several
innovative distribution businesses that might become viable if people like
what they have to offer. But artists aren't exactly signing up with them in
droves.

The bulk of sales revenue for the music arms of the media companies still
comes from CD sales. Actually, almost all of it does. They need the best
buys and the walmarts and the record strores to distribute those products.
If they undercut on pricing with digital sales, the distributors become very
unhappy. So whatever the model, expect to see competitive pricing.

I was merely pointing out that you haven't had to pay 17 bucks for a cd in
quite some time. Bear in mind that Amazon is also part of what you are
talking about.

jb

reddred

wrote:

"Trevor de Clercq" wrote in message
news:1109369904.1a047c680ceb604ebc07b305732591fc@ teranews...
Because it's worth spending money on art and music for no other reason
than to create quality art and music. When did people start making
music solely because they wanted to make money?

I think it was in ancient Greece. I know for sure it's been since the

12th
century or so.

jb

I'm not sure where you get your information, but until fairly recently
trained musicians made money only at the whim of their royal patrons,
or other supporters. In the case of indigenous people, music was and
is made as an integrated part of culture, not for profit.

Bull****. There has always been pop music and the musicians have always had
to sing for their supper. Just because you don't read about it in Beethoven
class doesn't mean it wasn't there. Go listen to Bernart de Ventadorn. You
will find many of the same themes and musical structures that are in the top
40 today.

In 'primitive' societies, music was also divided into sacred music ('high
art') and popular music. In west Africa, the popular musicians would travel
from town to town and trade their services for food or goods.

These things will never really change. Only occasionally in a society is
there an upper class wealthy enough to support 'fine art'. But the people's
demand for music is continuous.

jb

reddred

"dt king" wrote in message

"reddred" wrote in message

"Trevor de Clercq"

I guess I feel musicians should make their money from teaching,
performing, working as technicians/engineers, or just working regular
jobs. So the "music industry" dying doesn't seem a big deal to me. I
think CDs should cost money to pay for the packaging and distribution
costs, but the royalties are a weird thing.

I have never once heard someone who makes a living making music, however
meager that living, say they would rather be working a day job.

I've turned hobbies into dayjobs at least three times in my life. It

never
fails to ruin the hobby for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep music
just for fun. I am comforted that Vanilla Ice doesn't have to go get a

real
job, though.

I've made similair decisions. I don't want to be so arrogant as to make
those decisions for other people, though.

jb

Jonathan Roberts

"Dave Martin" wrote:

These are actually Doonesbury Flash backs from a few years ago

Gary Trudeau injured his drawing arm, so the strip's in reruns until he
heals up.

--
Jonathan Roberts * guitar, keyboards, vocals * North River Preservation
To reach me reverse: moc(dot)xobop(at)ggestran
hank alrich

play_on wrote:

CDs cost about 60 cents to make, and they sell for $17. Are you
saying that the lion's share of that money is going to the artists?

That's funny. I bought a CD that cost me almost a grand. Had some kind
of software on it. Was I ripped off?

The cost of the plastic is irrelevant, yeah? What's the paper worth in a
Hemingway novel, compared to the words on the paper?

--
ha
hank alrich

play_on wrote:

Scott, will all due respect, this is example is very far from a
typical modern recording.

Yeah, for those they spend way more than sixty cents. And lots of them,
IMO, have music on 'em that's worth less than the cost of the raw
materials in the packaging.

But it's silly to think the cost of a record is reflected in the cost of
the plastic disc.

--
ha
hank alrich

play_on wrote:

The other reason is that it's no longer
neccessary to spend very much money to make a pop record.

Got any idea what Clearemountain or the Alge's get to mix a track? It
ain't chump change.

--
ha
hank alrich

Hev wrote:

It isn't stealing.

Bull****.

You just can't accept the new vehicle in which music is
being delivered to the market.

I deliver music in my own local market by playing it live, in person,
repeatedly. That puts me in charge of the delivery medium, not waiting
around for some thief with cheap Internet access to download my body and
axe.

And because of this thinking people still
aren't getting paid and still aren't utilizing what may be the best
connection to their target market they have ever had in their history.

And how much control do they have over that target market if the market
is a bunch of thieves? People aren't getting paid because some folks
think they're not stealing music they listen to without paying for it.
And they come up with all kinds of excuses to justify their behavior.
So much for personal responsibility. How dearly American; it's all
somebody else's fault. Again, bull****.

On top of that, those channels are controlled ultimately by the same
kind of business avariciousities who run record companies. You just
watch how much money flows to the creators of music once the FlyTunes
Internet Record Company gets its cut.

--
ha

hank alrich

Hev wrote:

It is a revolution

The cheapest word in marketing, and you just bought it.

--
ha
Hev

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Hev wrote:

It isn't stealing.

Bull****.

Not bull****. Learn to deal with it.

And how much control do they have over that target market if the market
is a bunch of thieves?

They aren't thieves. They are using the tools of their generation just as
all generations past. The difference is this time around the industry seems
to be adapting late.

People aren't getting paid because some folks
think they're not stealing music they listen to without paying for it.
And they come up with all kinds of excuses to justify their behavior.

No excuses. People aren't getting paid because of this outdated thinking. At
this point I equate the scenario to trying to prevent teens to have sex by
telling them it is wrong. Keep standing there in your wife beater with
newspaper rolled in hand.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

Hev

Hev wrote:

It is a revolution

The cheapest word in marketing, and you just bought it.

Hook, line and sinker. It is a digital revolution and I intend to ride it.
Keep trying to find the analog tape...

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Hev" wrote in message...

It isn't stealing.

Your are SOOOOO WRONG. Sure, you can say you weren't the
one who put the song from the CD on the web.... but as long as it's
there, you might as well take it, right? Or was it you who pirated the
CD to start with? Nah.... it's cats like you and 'play-on' (in this case)
who just take it because it's there. Justify it any way you like, but it
really doesn't hold up... and laying the blame on a new 'technology'
for making mass-theft possible and telling everyone they should just
"get used to it" is a real chicken **** excuse to promote even more
theft.

slinking back under my rock...

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Bull****... they're abusing the tools... there's a big difference.

The difference is this time around the industry seems
to be adapting late.

The industry didn't expect rampant piracy of intellectual property.

People aren't getting paid because some folks
think they're not stealing music they listen to without paying for it.

People aren't getting paid because of this outdated thinking.

What outdated thinking? That I own a piece of merchandise?

At this point I equate the scenario to trying to prevent teens to
have sex by telling them it is wrong.

What you're saying in this analogy, is just give them rubbers (the internet)
or the pill (lack of self control) and let them **** all day instead of learn.

You're of a mind that it's not stealing because it can be found on your
precious new internet.... but just remember, some ******* put it there
illegally to start with, and taking it makes you a part of the crime.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"hev" wrote in message...

The true crimes were commited AGAINST the
public in the first place.

I won't ask you to explain that, because I don't want to task your rationale.

This is just sweet justice.

Somehow, getting ****ed up the ass just doesn't seem to be really sweet.
If you think theft is justice, your brain is pickled.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"play_on" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:14:08 -0500, Trevor de Clercq
wrote:

Call me crazy, but I'm not even sure I totally believe in copyright
laws. I have conceptual problems with people "owning" ideas or
intangible things like chord progressions or voicings in a specific song
or arrangement. Music is so derivative anyway I feel noone can claim
the complete right of ownership to a recording or composition because so
much in any recording or composition is stolen from hundreds of other
recordings or compositions.

Absolutely correct. Even the great classical composers ripped off
folk melodies with abandon.

Al

C'mon Al, even Bethoven was paid for his compositions by the Royal court.

will

play_on wrote:

This is precisely the kind of stuff that the internet is rendering
obsolete. You no longer need conventional distribution, advertising
and shipping if people can download your music.

Yes, we know how wonderfully profitable it is to have people download
your music and pay NOTHING for it. That hardly qualifies as a new
paradigm for sales - sales requires someone pays something for a
product. Perhaps you meant that this is a new paradigm for theft, but
then theivery is still the same as it ever was.

Otherwise, do it yourself and you pay for everything. But you won't
have the benefit of the marketing, distribution, promotion, product
availability, etc. that the label provides to the artist.

Yep... but as I said before, this role of the record company becomes
less and less crucial as the delivery of music via broadband becomes
ascendant.

If you want to talk about iTunes or that type of model then there may
be hope, yet. Otherwise you have random third party people ripping
music off of CD's and posting it on the internet for anybody to steal.
That's a lot like stealing someone's laundry from the clothesline in
their backyard and taking it to the public square and posting a sign
that says 'Free Take Some'. Would that be legal in your 'property
should be free' world?

It's already evolved into that, since many new artists voluntarily
offer their music online for free.

If an artist wants to post THEIR OWN music and make it available for
free, fine. Just don't tell me that ANYBODY should be allowed to take
what they want from anybody with no consequence.

I support artists I like too. But being an older guy I buy very few
CDs by newer artists, and much of what I do buy is older music. I
*really* resent having to pay high CD prices for old-time music by
artists who are long dead.

Oh, and I suppose you also object to buying a book by Ernest Hemingway
and having to pay the bookseller full price for that? Since when did
anybody offer discounts because the writers or artist was dead? Or do
you think you're going to get an Andy Warhol work for less money
because he's dead? Grow up.

I often illegally download new music that I hear a buzz about, just

check it out. I'm not into paying $17 just to try something,
especially when the odds are about 10 to 1 that I won't like it. If

do like the music, then I might spend the money on it, but I'm not
going to pay those kind of prices just to stay informed about current
acts. But I'm not the problem. The problem is people like my
stepdaughter who doesn't have the money to pay $17 for a CD just to
hear the one song she likes... so she downloads the one song for free
instead. Paying for music is a foreign concept for her. Kids like
her are the challenge that the record companies have to face.

There are plenty of promotional sites around that allow you to hear
fairly long clips of new artists so that you can make that decision.
There's plenty of ways for people to hear new artists and it's getting
better. But, there's a huge difference between wanting to hear a new
artist before buying a CD and just stealing their music. BTW, I'm an
older guy, too, but I've also been the artist and the producer and the
publisher and the engineer and the record label , sometimes in multiple
capacities at different times in my career. But, from your posts I
suspect that you haven't been in the position of having money taken out
of YOUR pocket by the theiving behavior you support. Otherwise I don't
think you'd be so quick to support stealing.

Your new paradigm seems to be: I can steal from you and as long as I
don't suffer any economic consequences it's perfectly acceptable to me.
Pickpockets, con men and ordinary thieves have used just that paradigm
since time immemorial, Bucko. Go sell your Brooklyn Bridge to someone
else.

By the way, when I was a kid I saved up money until I had enough to buy
that new album. You might have done the same thing, if you're an older
guy. I didn't feel that I had the RIGHT to have things that I couldn't
afford, no matter how much I may have wanted them. A lot of kids today
have this chip on their shoulder - they have this attitude that they're
ENTITLED to have things that they can't afford or can't handle. Yeah,
it's a new day, baby.

Ricky Hunt

"Trevor de Clercq" wrote in message
news:1109355256.7b4ddb60f579bb554367d58cc4d74907@t eranews...
Call me crazy, but I'm not even sure I totally believe in copyright laws.

Are you a musician or songwriter (in a professional sense)?

Trevor de Clercq

I think you don't see people who win the lottery go back to working a
day job either, but that doesn't mean it's right. Selfishness and greed
usually cause people to drop out of contributing in a positive way to
society once they don't have to anymore.

I don't understand how our society rewards musicians who perhaps make
one or two musical offerings (i.e. albums) and are able to retire on
these earnings. Are those people really musicians at the end of the
day, anyway? I'm not saying someone who is a musician should be working
a day job (like in a factory), but there should be a strong incentive
for them to teach, thereby giving back to the musical community.
Performing is also a fine way to make a living.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

reddred wrote:
"Trevor de Clercq"

I guess I feel musicians should make their money from teaching,
performing, working as technicians/engineers, or just working regular
jobs. So the "music industry" dying doesn't seem a big deal to me. I
think CDs should cost money to pay for the packaging and distribution
costs, but the royalties are a weird thing.

I have never once heard someone who makes a living making music, however
meager that living, say they would rather be working a day job.

And the funny thing is, all you guys that think there is no way to make
money distributing music, whether on CD's or over the internet, are just
plain wrong.

jb

Trevor de Clercq

I'm not sure what the difference between a musician and a songwriter is,
but I would consider myself to be both. I have a bachelor's degree in
music theory/composition from Cornell and a master's degree in music
technology from NYU. I've worked as a senior technician at Right Track
for a couple years and am now employed as the on-staff technician for
the audio and video studios at the New School. I also have an
Associate's degree in electronics (as a lark, but it was fun to learn
about actual "engineering" as opposed to your average "recording
engineer" who usually doesn't understand what a resistor is, sadly).

I play piano, cello, guitar, mandolin, bass, and sing all pretty well.
I also play a little banjo, violin, drums and pedal steel but only in a
mild sense. I've been producing about an album every other year, all of
which are freely downloadable from my web site (www.midside.com). My
version of "Silent Night" was used as diagetic music in Michael Moore's
"Fahrenheit 9/11". I didn't receive a penny. I don't intend to sue him.

I guess I'm not a full-time "professional" musician right now, but it
wouldn't be that hard to switch over. I've taught guitar lessons off
and on over the years and once had Mel Bay buy my transcription of a Dan
Crary album. As I said in a previous post, my mother, brother,
grandmother, and grandfather all are/were full-time professional
musicians. My father is a full-time artist. All of them teach or have
taught and perform or performed as part of their income. Right now I'm
exploring the recording/technical side of music. For what it's worth, I
plan on applying to PhD programs for composition in the fall.

If I had the server bandwidth to do it, I'd love to put all my music up
in its unmixed multi-track form. I wish albums were available like that
for the public. It would be a great learning tool, like viewing the
score to a symphony. In the back of my mind I think I'd like in the
future (when bandwidth becomes more available), to start an
"open-source" music project where artists can post the multi-track
versions of their albums for people to download.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Ricky Hunt wrote:
"Trevor de Clercq" wrote in message
news:1109355256.7b4ddb60f579bb554367d58cc4d74907@t eranews...

Call me crazy, but I'm not even sure I totally believe in copyright laws.

Are you a musician or songwriter (in a professional sense)?

John

wrote:
I'm not sure where you get your information, but until fairly recently
trained musicians made money only at the whim of their royal patrons,
or other supporters. In the case of indigenous people, music was and
is made as an integrated part of culture, not for profit.

Al

You;re inventing a HUGE chasm here between Mozart and the Bushmen... Also
allowing the chicken and egg to get all cause-and-effect confused.
As stated:

"Trevor de Clercq"
Because it's worth spending money on art and music (SNIP) to create quality
art and music. When did people start making
music solely because they wanted to make money?

I think it was in ancient Greece.

It ALL happened. There were your Bachs who were the Top Professionals and
landed the fulltime gigs with churches, nobility etc. There were the
Puccini's writing pop opera and such who put on the Big Shows in the Big
towns with the Big Money People who could make that Big Scene. There were
also the Travelling Monster Acts, Kryslers and Pagannini's who were legends
and commanded audience and groupies. Next are the Jenny Lynnes of the
smaller town circuits that did opperetta/dancehall pop tune stuff. Outside
of the formal trained and studied musicians and writers you drop down to
the, in essence, small travelling performers doing common folk stuff in
taverns which blurs into the local singer who does it as a hobby but
everyone knows and likes it when he plays where they can hear. Beyond that
you have Home Musicians who get the printed music and play an evening of
Classical and Popular Favorites for Aunt Bridget when she visits. Your
indigenous culture is invariably a VERY separate thing occuring only in
non-civilised (term used advisedly in its STRICT latin
NON-CITY-TECHNOLOGICAL sense) cultures and is THE embodiment of both a
peoples' culture, history transmission and shooling. I think this last
should be kept strictly OUT of any discussion of the BUSINESS of music as it
indeed is the antithesis of that.

What we're SPECIFICALLY discussing here (and we need to KNOW this or we
don;t have a damned CLUE as to what we're talking about) is the double-edged
sword of:

A) MASS DISTRIBUTION... how the MECHANICAL REPRODUCTION invention, both in
its very appearance and ubiquitous commonality has affected the ability of
the everyman to experience music, both as to what they WANT, what the
Marketting Industry TELLS them they want, what they KNOW about music (one's
appreciation of any art form is related DIRECTLY to how much one KNOWS about
said art form... ie: those who don;t 'like'/appreciate unknown forms of
music are invariably merely reacting to the fact that something is outside
their experieince and education and when they are allowed to explore and
understand it, they are then able to CHOOSE what they like rather than react
xenophobically to anything other than what their buds are listening to) and
what they WANT to be exposed to on an hourly basis.

B) Your Gets What You Pays For....
Coupled with it's flip side of
What You Don;t Pay For Stops Comin' Round...
Coupled with the hard-learned lesson of
You Don;t Know What You Got Till It's Gone.
All of these linked inextricably with
Whether You Know It Or Not

More succinctly: TANSTAAFL
(and History has this clearly laid out for you in bushels if you;d but look)

There IS a business of music (or more broadly ART if you will) , always has
been. What's different since Edison is the ability to separate the
musician's physical presence from the performance in both time and space and
reitteration. With that huge technical power comes a commensurately huge
responsibility, shifted from the PERFORMER (and the aides that make him
function successfully as a wage-earner rather than a travelling starving
genius) to EACH audience member. Not a healthy situation since we as humans
are consistant in at least One Thing: we're greedy and selfish and well,
more often than not, TAKE something we're supposed to PAY for unless FORCED.
We also are kneejerk ready to DEFEND (however irrationally) said actions
when intellectually challenged on it.

Let's get something straight: NOTHING is free.
Not 'information'
Not music
Not art
Nothing.
If we want Good Stuff, we NEED to actively support the Makers Of Good Things
all out of proportion to what we think they should get. You idiots out there
whining (for the last DECADE now) that "CD's cost 60cents to make.. Why
should I pay $20??" should be buying reams of college-ruled notebook paper
rather than the latest Ludlam/Clancy/Whatever novel.. I mean COME ONE man,
$7 for a paperback??? Paper costs $1 for 10 TIMES that much surface area!
Wattarip!

Damn...
Finally...
Coffee's ready.