NJD

In article , says...
NJD wrote:

It is they who failed to adequately copy protect their property before
digitizing it. Morons!

And how do you propose this be done?

You need to change your business model. Search Google for old
discussions where I've tried to be helpful.

If you can find a copy protection system that works, you can be a millionaire
easily.
That kids can copy music is the FAULT OF THE RECORDING INDUSTRY. Those
stupid jackasses didn't protect their product! And now they want to sue
parents for their own dumb mistake? No wonder they are so univerally
despised.

Again, how do you propose it be done? If you can find a method by which
material can be listened without copying, I'm all ears. Believe me, so
is the recording industry. Remember the notch filter schemes? Remember
SCMS? I assure you that the recording industry was not trying their best.

That's your problem.

Going after innocent parents is unethical and everyone with a semblance
of a brain knows it. With these tactics, the industry has asked the
entire world to hate them and have been marvelously successful in that
effort.

I myself have switched sides in this argument VERY recently. These
lawsuits are truly despicable.

You, as an industry, fail because you are incompetent in the face of
technological change. So you hire your blood-sucking lawyers to go
after the average joe and thus cry out to all: "we deserve to fail
because we are assholes."

--Nick

Marc Wielage

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:38:23 -0700, Doc wrote:

If they're to be believed, they weren't stealing. Their kid was downloading
in ignorance.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

Just playing devil's advocate here. The RIAA claims they're only going after
individuals who were downloading MANY THOUSANDS of song -- not casual users
grabbing a dozen songs here, and a dozen songs there. One user who settled
last year admitted that he had downloaded well over 20,000 songs, then passed
them on to thousands of friends via P2P in college.

I think Scott Dorsey's got the right idea -- this is an immensely-complicated
problem for which there are no quick and easy answers. I do think the RIAA
should pick their battles more carefully, but I also see their point that
people who steal should be punished... to a point.

--MFW

Nahtan Tsew

EggHd wrote:

Their kid was downloading in ignorance.

Do you apply this to all law breakers?

No, but there are degrees of accountability in the law. And if it is the
14 year old they are suing, then they better get ready to be waxed,
because no court in the nation would hold a judgment of that nature for
a first time minor offender.

--
Nathan

'What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?'

Steven Sena

Just part of the big ****ing dance I guess...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"raptor" wrote in message
om...
Single mom overwhelmed by recording industry suit

BY LESLIE BROOKS SUZUKAMO

Pioneer Press

Tammy Lafky has a computer at home but said she doesn't use it. "I
don't know how," the 41-year-old woman said, somewhat sheepishly.

But her 15-year-old daughter, Cassandra, does. And what Cassandra may
have done, like millions of other teenagers and adults around the
world, landed Lafky in legal hot water this week that could cost her
thousands of dollars.

Lafky, a sugar mill worker and single mother in Bird Island, a farming
community 90 miles west of St. Paul, became the first Minnesotan sued
by name by the recording industry this week for allegedly downloading
copyrighted music illegally.

The lawsuit has stunned Lafky, who earns $12 an hour and faces
penalties that top $500,000. She says she can't even afford an offer
by the record companies to settle the case for $4,000.

The ongoing music downloading war is being fought on one side by a $12
billion music industry that says it is steadily losing sales to online
file sharing. On the other side, untold millions of people - many of
them too young to drive - who have been downloading free music off
file-sharing sites with odd names like Kazaa and Grokster and who are
accusing the music industry of price gouging and strong-arm tactics.

Lafky says she doesn't download free music. Her daughter did last year
when she was 14, but neither of them knew it was illegal because all
of Cassandra's friends at school were doing it.

"She says she can't believe she's the only one being sued," Lafky
said. "She told me, 'I can't be the only one. Everybody else does it.'
"

A record company attorney from Los Angeles contacted Lafky about a
week ago, telling Lafky she could owe up to $540,000, but the
companies would settle for $4,000.

"I told her I don't have the money," Lafky said. "She told me to go
talk to a lawyer and I told her I don't have no money to talk to a
lawyer."

Lafky said she clears $21,000 a year from her job and gets no child
support.

The music industry isn't moved. It has sued nearly 3,000 people
nationwide since September and settled with 486 of them for an average
of $3,000 apiece, according to the Recording Industry Association of
America, which represents the major and minor labels that produce 90
percent of the recorded music in the United States.

"Our goal in these cases and in this program (of lawsuits) that we're
trying to achieve is to deliver the message that it's illegal and
wrong," said Stanley Pierre-Louis, senior vice president for legal
affairs for the RIAA.

Since the music industry began its lawsuit campaign, awareness of the
illegality of downloading copyrighted music has increased several-fold
this year, Pierre-Louis said.

"And we're trying to create a level playing field for legal online
(music) services," he added.

These services sell music for under a dollar a song, and some have
become well known, like Apple Computer's iPod service, which
advertises heavily on TV. Others are just getting off the ground.

Pierre-Louis said the RIAA does not comment on individual cases like
Lafky's, but he said the music industry typically finds its targets by
logging onto the same file-sharing services that the file-sharers do.
Its agents then comb the play lists for names of songs that are
copyrighted and that they believe are being illegally shared.

The record companies follow the songs when they're downloaded onto
computers, and they also note how many copyrighted songs are stored on
that computer's hard drive memory, because those songs are often
"uploaded" or shared with others through the file-sharing service.

Since January, the industry has filed 2,947 lawsuits, most against
"John Does," until the record companies went to court to get names of
the downloaders from their Internet service providers. Last month, the
music industry filed 477 lawsuits nationwide, including two "John Doe"
lawsuits against users at the University of Minnesota whose identities
have not been revealed.

The industry is particularly keen on stopping people who keep their
computers open on the Internet for others to share. On Lafky's
computer, for instance, record companies like Universal Music Group,
Sony and Warner Bros. found songs by groups they publish like
Bloodhound Gang, Savage Garden and Linkin Park. Also found were songs
by artists Michelle Branch, MC Hammer and country stars Shania Twain
and Neal McCoy, which not only were downloaded but also available to
others to upload, according to the lawsuit.

Federal copyright laws allow for penalties that range from $750 per
infringement or song up to $30,000 per infringement, Pierre-Louis
said.

If a defendant is found to have committed a violation "in a willful
manner," he or she can be fined $150,000 per song, he said.

The record companies are willing to negotiate cases individually if
someone says they cannot afford the penalties. So far, no case has
gone to trial, the RIAA said.

Pierre-Louis said the RIAA isn't afraid of a consumer backlash. "We're
facing a daunting challenge and we have to face it head-on," he said.

Tammy Lafky is facing her own challenge. She said she doesn't know
what she'll do. "I told her," she said, referring to the record
company lawyer, "if I had the money I would give it to you, but I
don't have it."

Roach

I was slamming my head against the wall about that one... The battle is
over, but the war has just begun...

Rocha

"Troy" wrote in message
.......Or move to Canada and download as much as you want.

George wrote in message
Cry me a ****ing river will ya
someone steals, gets caught is offed a way out and I am supposed to feel
thier pain?
served them right
pay the fine and stop stealing
George

Roach

"NJD" wrote in message
In article , says...
NJD wrote:

It is they who failed to adequately copy protect their property before
digitizing it. Morons!

*snip*
With these tactics, the industry has asked the
entire world to hate them and have been marvelously successful in that
effort.

*snip*
--Nick

Agreed.
File sharing is illigal. But why the hell are the record companies going
after the people who they want to derive income from?

Do they expect these people to view the record companies in good light and
return to the record stores and willfully buy CD's?

"They just sued me for X thousand dollars, and BOY did i learn my lesson.
I'm gonna march right into my prosecutor's store and BUY this time around."
Not likely. They're gonna get ****ed off at companies and find different
ways to purchase their downloaded music.

They're alienating the very people that are their income.

And isn't the reason the record sales have dropped is because people's
catalog's no longer need replacing or have already been fully replaced? For
example, people had vinyl collections, then the next recorded medium came
out and they went to the stores to replace them with the superior media,
then the next superior medium came out (let's just skip to the CD), and
people again went to the record stores to buy more of that same album on CD.
THEN nothing else came out to replace CD's. The record sales derived from
replacement slowed down and halted. The annual sales are only dropping to
where they should be, no?

Roach

EggHd

It was a kid sitting at a computer. Get real.

I just asked a simple question.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

It was a kid sitting at a computer. Get real.

I just asked a simple question.

---------------------------------------
EggHd

It was a kid sitting at a computer. Get real.

I just asked a simple question.

---------------------------------------
Ricky W. Hunt

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
news:0001HW.BCDBCEDF01189A10F070D5B0@news- should pick their battles
more carefully, but I also see their point that
people who steal should be punished... to a point.

I agree something has to be done. But one thing the RIAA has proven without
a doubt: they are HORRIBLY out of touch with both music lovers AND
technology. Therefore they really serve no good purpose (IMO). The line from
the article that really hit me was: "And we're trying to create a level
playing field for legal online (music) services," he added (he being Stanley
Pierre-Louis, senior vice president for legal affairs for the RIAA). Excuse
me? Didn't they do every thing they could to throw up road blocks to what
(pay for downloading) has now been proven an unqualified success?

John L Rice

And I cry no tears for the despicable Recording Industry and its money
grubbing members. They richly deserve their recent decline. I cheer
ever step of the Recording Industry's continued demise.

It is they who failed to adequately copy protect their property before
digitizing it. Morons!

So . . . if someone throws a brick through the window of your car or house
and steals your posessions or walks up to you in the street and shoots you,
then are you a moron for not protecting yourself better?

It is they who fail to recognize that a parent cannot monitor, let alone
control, everything their children do on a computer (how much control
did your parents have over you in a much easier time?!).

I think it just doesn't apply to downloading music, I'd have to check but
I'm pretty sure that a parent can be held accountable for any wrong doing of
their minor children. Sure, being a parent is a super hard job ( I'm not
one, but can I fully appreciate the effort and sacrifice it takes to be a
good parent ) but people need to take responsibility for there own actions
and having a child is one of the most serious consious actions two people
can ever make.

There is parental control software that can limit what childern do on the
computer when there is no one there to supervise them. And yes, if they can
afford a $500 to $1200 computer, they can pop for $50 worth of blocking
software.

The RIAA and its litigation-prone members are collectively too clueless
to realize that children have not matured to the point where they can
make mature moral decisions especially when faced with such temptation
in the privacy of their own homes. So the RIAA goes after the innocent,
overworked, overwhelmed and struggling parents. ****ing *******s!

If the RIAA is over the top with the extremity of the law suits or not is
debatable but it seems to be an effective way to make the public aware that
not paying for music that is controlled by a copyright and the owner of the
copyright does not want to give it away freely, is illeagal. It's a lot
cheaper than paying for media ads that people 'convieniently' say they never
saw.

And just a word of freindly advice, any one who has done a lot of illegal
downloading should probably not engage in any online debates about the
subject because if the RIAA trys to sue them and the person tries to use the
'I didn't know' sympathy ploy, it will be quite expensive and embarassig
when they do a Google search and call up proof of their awarness of the
situation.

Hell, I've installed software to prevent my kids from accessing certain
things and they typically find a way around it within a few weeks.

hhhmmm, what was that term you used to descibe someone who makes a failed
attempt to prevent people from doing something undesirable?

I spend way too much time controlling what my kids do on the computer
already and there is just NO WAY that I can close every loop hole and
maintain a day job at the same time. How much less able is a person who
is not a computer expert?

Sure there are ways.

That kids can copy music is the FAULT OF THE RECORDING INDUSTRY. Those
stupid jackasses didn't protect their product! And now they want to sue
parents for their own dumb mistake? No wonder they are so univerally
despised.

I hope your day job doesn't involve making important or risky decisions.
With logic like that . . . .whew!

John L Rice

Mark

I'd like to see these cases go to a jury trial and inform the jury of
their right of JURY NULLIFICATION.

Mark
Mark

I'd like to see these cases go to a jury trial and inform the jury of
their right of JURY NULLIFICATION.

Mark

Mark

"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
news:0001HW.BCDBCEDF01189A10F070D5B0@news- should pick their battles
more carefully, but I also see their point that
people who steal should be punished... to a point.

I agree something has to be done. But one thing the RIAA has proven without
a doubt: they are HORRIBLY out of touch with both music lovers AND
technology. Therefore they really serve no good purpose (IMO). The line from
the article that really hit me was: "And we're trying to create a level
playing field for legal online (music) services," he added (he being Stanley
Pierre-Louis, senior vice president for legal affairs for the RIAA). Excuse
me? Didn't they do every thing they could to throw up road blocks to what
(pay for downloading) has now been proven an unqualified success?

Why is the RIAA allowed to sue? Consider someone shoplifting from a regular
store. Can the store sue for $30,000 because someone stole a (physical) CD?
Can Microsoft sue if someone copies Windows? I can see a person being
charged, but shouldn't the police do that?

Richard

Doc

"EggHd" wrote in message
Their kid was downloading in ignorance.

Do you apply this to all law breakers?

I'm going to have legislation put through that makes speeding, jaywalking,
loitering or any other traffic violation in your state punishable by a 100K
fine on the first offense. If you want to fight the ticket it'll cost you a
quarter of a million dollars.

Of course, this won't affect you since you always obey all regulations at
all times, right?

Echo Mia-MIDI with a Phono PreAmp or TerraTec DMX 6FIRE 24/96 With Software RIAA? Jimmy The Clam Tech 164 May 4th 04 07:20 AM
RIAA loses big, Dutch cort adds to sting [email protected] Pro Audio 118 December 22nd 03 01:38 PM
New RIAA Twist? John Payne Pro Audio 11 October 28th 03 05:11 AM
RIAA lawsuits question Craig Mitchell Pro Audio 161 October 25th 03 03:48 AM