Soundfreak03

Default rec.audio thingy Now Ground issues

In addition, I also believe copper is a better conductor than steel.

But dont forget an all important part is SIZE. The copper foot per foot may be
a better conductor but with the steel you have a whole lot more "gauge" for
lack of a better term.

Let's put it this way. I currently have an issue with what seems to be
a bad HU ground. I can hear the clicks of the pot through the speakers
as I raise the volume.

Just from that description that sounds like a noisy HU, not a ground problem.
Although that is little to go on.

Both my amps and HU are grounded to solid
chassis points. I am going to run a single 8awg cable (the amps only
total 300W) down the side and connect all three devices to it. If the
noise goes away, then I assume my assertions are correct to some
extent. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Well I hope it works. But just because it does you cant automatically assume
that it is better. You may have solid looking power grounds but they may not
be, By that I mean if you grounded to a point that is not directly attached to
chassis, like wheelwells.
Also many people forget that the RCAs have a shield too. You may have a problem
with the Audio ground. I have done 100s of installs with chassis grounds and it
has been very successful. So I guess why run back to the battery?? I still
havent seen a good answer to that.

Les