Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

Default which DAW?... if score notation is your primary method

Hello,

I find it easier to perceive and write music using score notation,
rather than dealing with pattern sequencers and piano-roll editors. I
would like to score most of the music in notation (to be played back
by internal VST's), and then go behind the scenes to do some volume
editing or effects adding when needed.

I've been looking at the various software for PC's, and it seems that
Sonar might be the best bet. While nearly all DAW's have some sort of
notation capability, it seems like Sonar would be solid. But the
screenshot on the Cubase website also looked good (they put a large
score up which caught my attention).

What I'm envisioning for the primary work screen is a multi-staff
score that triggers midi sounds and VST synths accurately and in
sync. And then I would use some other windows and functions to shape
the sound, check the meters, etc. I would be looking at notation 75%
of the time, and the other stuff would take up about 25% of the screen
and my attention.

If anybody has some insights, thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

genericaudioperson wrote:

I find it easier to perceive and write music using score notation,
rather than dealing with pattern sequencers and piano-roll editors. I
would like to score most of the music in notation (to be played back
by internal VST's), and then go behind the scenes to do some volume
editing or effects adding when needed.

I've been looking at the various software for PC's, and it seems that
Sonar might be the best bet. While nearly all DAW's have some sort of
notation capability, it seems like Sonar would be solid. But the
screenshot on the Cubase website also looked good (they put a large
score up which caught my attention).

It doesn't sound to me like you want a DAW at all. You probably are
looking more for something like Sibelius.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

genericaudioperson schrieb:
What I'm envisioning for the primary work screen is a multi-staff
score that triggers midi sounds and VST synths accurately and in
sync. And then I would use some other windows and functions to shape
the sound, check the meters, etc. I would be looking at notation 75%
of the time, and the other stuff would take up about 25% of the screen
and my attention.

Hi,
I am using Cubase, but I don't like the score features very much. I
think Sonar is better at that, at least it used to be...

Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:10:17 -0700 (PDT), genericaudioperson
wrote:

I find it easier to perceive and write music using score notation,
rather than dealing with pattern sequencers and piano-roll editors. I
would like to score most of the music in notation (to be played back
by internal VST's), and then go behind the scenes to do some volume
editing or effects adding when needed.

Cubase and Sonar both have very good Score Edit pages, alongside all
the other sequencer functions and facilities. You may prefer the
look-and-feel of one or the other - demo versions are available.

You can get much prettier score notation from Sibelius or Finale. But
they are primarily score-publishing programs with playback functions
bolted on. From your description of your needs I think you'd find
them fiddley and frustrating when it comes to tweaking the
performance.

I use Sibelius for what it's best at - scoring for live musicians. For
a quick preview of what an arrangement will sound like its playback is
quite adequate. But if the goal is a really good audio version I move
to Cubase. Very often I don't even bother to transfer a MIDI file
between the two applications. I print out the score and play it into
Cubase - sometimes all synthesized, sometimes a mixture -playing
whatever real instruments are available onto audio tracks.

As so often, it isn't really about the tool :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

genericaudioperson wrote:

If anybody has some insights, thanks in advance

Noteworthy comes to mind ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen