Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Aug 17, 11:03=A0am, Dick Pierce wrote:
Scott wrote:

=A0 John Nunes wrote
=A0 There are zero recordings of Amalia Rodrigues.
=A0 There are zero recordings of Charles Tournemire's live
=A0 improvisations.
=A0 There are zero recordings of Scott Joplin's piano rolls.
=A0 There are zero recordings involving Alfred Deller
=A0 There are zero recordings of Helmut Walcha's playing.

How about adding to the list the works of Couperin, Roberdais,
Sweelink, Bruhns, Kerll, in other words, almost the entire
repertoire of Baroque keyboard music prior to Bach.

Guess I should have mentioned Hrmonia Mundi which while not purely an
audiophile label they clearly target audiophiles with their product.

=A0 Those are some pretty good indicators for the kind of material I wa=

=A0 referring to. =3DA0I could sit here all night doing this, which wou=

ld
=A0 be a waste of time.
=A0
=A0 Of course you could sit there and cherry pick.

Are you kidding? REALLY?

No

Every time I have gone to buy a record or a CD, the process
I used was "cherry picking" by nearly ANY reasonable definition
of the word.

Yeah, OK. What does that have to do with what is being discussed? We
are talking about the musical content of historical signiicance
offered by audiophile labels. Not what you personally buy when you go
to the record store.

I NEVER once bought a recording primarily because it came from
some "audiophile" label or because it was on media or another.
I bought it SOLELY because of its musical significance to me.

OK. Utterly irrelevant but OK.

=A0 If you consider the percentage of *all* recordings represented
=A0 by that list (which was hardly an all inclusive list) then the
=A0 fact that it had 10 that fell within your cherry picking would
=A0 be, in my view, pretty impressive.

You keep bringing up this "cherry picking" thing like it's
some bad,

Well it is when one is trying to make a point about the musically
historical content offered by audiophile labels. It fails to represent
the reality of what is offered by these labels that is of historical
significance. That is what we are talking about Dick. We are not
talking about what you like or what i like or any other individual.

If that genre is NOT available on a particular media or not
branded with some special badge, then that media or badge
gets left in the dustbin.

Again I would have to point to Harmonia Mundi. Not sure any other
label covers that genre better than they do.

Do I cherry pick? You bet your ass I do: THAT'S WHAT LISTENING
TO MUSIC IS ABOUT.

That is great Dick but it simply isn't on topic.

And, by all indications, you cherry pick at least as carefully
as I do.

Yeah of course when picking music for me as a consumer. Not when I am
trying to make a point about offerings of the audiophile labels as a
group though.

It's just, for me, the medium is of almost no significance if
that's the only source of the music I desire.

For example, there are no current (let's call 'current' within
the last quarter century) LPs all that I can find of the music
of Baroque keyboard composers such as Altenburg, Armsdorf, Babou,
Banchieri, Cabanilles, Clerembault, d'Andrieu, D'Aquin, Kellner,
Kerll, Lubeck, Marchand, Paradisi, Scheidemann, Strungk, Seixas,
Zachau, those being some among the 90-odd composers that I have
collections of their music. They are better represented on CD,
and I am able to download high-quality MP3s of multiple
performances of these works totalling some 7000 unique works
lasting several days of first rate performances.

Do I cherry pick? Damn right: I like cherries. If the best
looking, best constructed, finest sounding fruit basket in
the universe ain't got no cherries, I ain't interested.

Yeah. I cherry pick. I just don't pick pretty cherries
that taste like lemons.

Wanna make something out of it?

LOL No Dick, I don't want to fight with you about your choice of
music.

=A0 There is an awful lot of music represented in that list that perhaps
=A0 you don't find historically important but others do.

And the sword, she be versatile in her bidirectionality.

It's not even "historically importanr." It's MUSICALLY important
that's the issue.

You might want to take that up with the guy who made an issue about
"historically important" music.

And even though YOUR musical interests, whatever they might be
allow YOU to cherry pick from those labels, they don't allow
me, so I and many others pick our musical fruit elsewhere and,
apparently for different reasons.

I'll have to concede that point Dick. My tastes are much better served
by the audiophile labels than yours seems to be.