Posted to rec.audio.pro
JSVice JSVice is offline

Default cable tester

I've been soldering up a couple of snakes in preparation for getting my new
board in here. Does anyone know if a DB25 - TRS cable tester exists? Those
DB25s are a pain to solder, so I just want to see if anyone makes a tester
for it. I'm making a 16 channel DB25 to TRS snake this week. I've just
been using my multimeter to check the TRS snakes I've made. It would be a
little more tedious to use that to check Dsubs though.

--
Thanks,
John

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 02:46:05 -0400, "JSVice"
wrote:

I've been soldering up a couple of snakes in preparation for getting my new
board in here. Does anyone know if a DB25 - TRS cable tester exists? Those
DB25s are a pain to solder, so I just want to see if anyone makes a tester
for it. I'm making a 16 channel DB25 to TRS snake this week. I've just
been using my multimeter to check the TRS snakes I've made. It would be a
little more tedious to use that to check Dsubs though.

You could make one. Though, of course, after soldering it up, you'd
have to check it out thoroughly with a multi-meter :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Mar 15, 2:46 am, "JSVice" wrote:
I've been soldering up a couple of snakes in preparation for getting my new
board in here. Does anyone know if a DB25 - TRS cable tester exists?

Not off-the-shelf. There are several wiring schemes for those cables
(hopefully you used the right one for your equipment) so a universal
one would be pretty complex.

Since you're making more than one snake, why not connect two DB25s
together and test the pair end-to-end with a TRS cable tester (which
are available - I think Behringer makes a cheap one). If you find one
that doesn't test OK, then you'll have to check both snakes to see
which one is wrong but that might be quicker than testing each wire
pin to pin with a continuity checker.

Since generally these snakes all use a male DB25, you'll also need a
DB25 double-female adapter, but they're not hard to find.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JSVice JSVice is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 15, 2:46 am, "JSVice" wrote:
I've been soldering up a couple of snakes in preparation for getting my
new
board in here. Does anyone know if a DB25 - TRS cable tester exists?

Not off-the-shelf. There are several wiring schemes for those cables
(hopefully you used the right one for your equipment) so a universal
one would be pretty complex.

True. I forgot about that. I'm wiring mine up according to the TASCAM
pinout. It's going to connect my Apogee DA16 to my board.

Since you're making more than one snake, why not connect two DB25s
together and test the pair end-to-end with a TRS cable tester (which
are available - I think Behringer makes a cheap one). If you find one
that doesn't test OK, then you'll have to check both snakes to see
which one is wrong but that might be quicker than testing each wire
pin to pin with a continuity checker.

Since generally these snakes all use a male DB25, you'll also need a
DB25 double-female adapter, but they're not hard to find.

That's a good idea! Wish I'd thought of it.
--
Thanks,
John