Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

Default Good Adcoms?

Can someone give me a list of the better Adcom amps. I need 200-300
watts per channel into 8ohms.

Thanks,

Sean B

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Can someone give me a list of the better Adcom amps. I need 200-300
watts per channel into 8ohms.

I don't think they ever made a bad one. Anything in the older GFA
series is fine.

Why do you need so much power?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick Tim Padrick is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Can someone give me a list of the better Adcom amps. I need 200-300
watts per channel into 8ohms.

I don't think they ever made a bad one. Anything in the older GFA
series is fine.

Why do you need so much power?

Reliable, but not that good. A/B'd the 50w Linn Intek integrated against
the 555 for many consumers - the Linn was always preferred. Most any Arcam
amp would be a better choice as well. If you truly need that much power
(which I doubt), the old Hafler 500 isn't too bad.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Padrick wrote:

Reliable, but not that good. A/B'd the 50w Linn Intek integrated against
the 555 for many consumers - the Linn was always preferred. Most any Arcam
amp would be a better choice as well.

Sure, but you're talking about a factor of five increase in price here.

If you truly need that much power
(which I doubt), the old Hafler 500 isn't too bad.

Agreed, also.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

On Mar 10, 8:01 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

snip

Why do you need so much power?

I am getting a pair of ATC SCM20SLs, and they recommend at least 200
watts, they're really inefficient speakers. I am going to see how
they do with my halfer p3000, and then I'll get something else or not
based on that audition. What is better than the p3000 besides Bryston
and Pass? I may want balanced inputs for ground noise immunity.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
On Mar 10, 8:01 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
I am getting a pair of ATC SCM20SLs, and they recommend at least 200
watts, they're really inefficient speakers. I am going to see how
they do with my halfer p3000, and then I'll get something else or not
based on that audition. What is better than the p3000 besides Bryston
and Pass? I may want balanced inputs for ground noise immunity.

Oh, there's lots of high end gear out there from everyone from Krell to
Aragon. You pay money for it, though. A lot more than Bryston and Pass
gear. A whole hell of a lot more than Adcom and Paradigm.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

On Mar 12, 3:15 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

The P3000 is very fine. Personally, I don't think you can do better than
that. Like to sell it?

No, I'll be keeping the P3000, I like them as much as you do. They
seem quite available on ebay, if you're jones'n for one. It's funny,
people bitch about the TL072 op-amp all the time, but the P3000 has 2
in series on the input side, and it sounds ****in great. I think as
long as you don't ask them (the TL072) to drive a too-low Z load, they
are fine.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com is offline

On Mar 13, 1:08 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:15 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:

The P3000 is very fine. Personally, I don't think you can do better than
that. Like to sell it?

No, I'll be keeping the P3000, I like them as much as you do. They
seem quite available on ebay, if you're jones'n for one. It's funny,
people bitch about the TL072 op-amp all the time, but the P3000 has 2
in series on the input side, and it sounds ****in great. I think as
long as you don't ask them (the TL072) to drive a too-low Z load, they
are fine.

Sean

Besides using the chip that drove up the prices for discrete English
consoles, the TLO7X opamps, the Haflers and new Adcoms all use Mosfet
output devices. I find Mosfet based amps to sound harsh next to great
bipolar designs. I have compared my modified Adcoms to Pass Labs,
Hafler, Bryston, Perroux, Threshold, Rotel etc. and the Adcoms won out
each and every time, no comparison. If you need power, use the GFA555.
If you need more power, use the GFA565 mono blocks.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice John L Rice is offline

wrote in message
s.com...
On Mar 13, 1:08 am, wrote:
[...]

I just got a used Adcom GFA-545 MKII and a used Hafler P3000 from Ebay and
received them yesterday and tried them out last night with a pair of PMC
DB1+ monitors. Previously I had been using a Hafler P1500 with the PMCs.
Long story short, I preferred the Adcom over the Haflers. The Adcom seemed
to produce a more clear and defined sound. Down sides to the Adcom is it is
not rack mountable, is bigger than the Haflers and especially annoying is
the unbalanced inputs but I'll figure out how to compensate since I like the
sound.

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Vuotto Frank Vuotto is offline

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:34:03 -0700, "John L Rice"
wrote:

I just got a used Adcom GFA-545 MKII and a used Hafler P3000 from Ebay and
received them yesterday and tried them out last night with a pair of PMC

I like the MOSFET GFA Adcoms a lot but I've only used the smaller
amps.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 13, 9:55 am, wrote:
Besides using the chip that drove up the prices for discrete English
consoles, the TLO7X opamps, the Haflers and new Adcoms all use Mosfet
output devices. I find Mosfet based amps to sound harsh next to great
bipolar designs. I have compared my modified Adcoms to Pass Labs,
Hafler, Bryston, Perroux, Threshold, Rotel etc. and the Adcoms won out
each and every time, no comparison. If you need power, use the GFA555.
If you need more power, use the GFA565 mono blocks.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim, what did your mods consist of?

Thanks,

Sean B

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mar 15, 11:48 am, wrote:
On Mar 13, 9:55 am, wrote:

Besides using the chip that drove up the prices for discrete English
consoles, the TLO7X opamps, the Haflers and new Adcoms all use Mosfet
output devices. I find Mosfet based amps to sound harsh next to great
bipolar designs. I have compared my modified Adcoms to Pass Labs,
Hafler, Bryston, Perroux, Threshold, Rotel etc. and the Adcoms won out
each and every time, no comparison. If you need power, use the GFA555.
If you need more power, use the GFA565 mono blocks.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim, what did your mods consist of?

Thanks,

Sean B

Bandwidth is increased 2 octaves on the top end, one octave lower on
the gain shunt circuit. Exotic film caps are used. The power supply is
treated as well. I installed Kimber silver wire in mine. The best
models are the GFA535, 545, 555, 565. The Mk II's are less desirable
as they used an AC blocking cap on the front end, the GFA MK 1's are
direct coupled.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades