Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] davidftemple@gmail.com is offline

Default Vibration absorbers under components

This set-up works well for me: I have an older VPI turntable (HW-19 Mark 4)=
supported on Tip-Toes, which in turn sit on top of a sandbox, which in tu=
rn sits on top of four tennis balls held in place by covers from baby food =
jars. (The babies that ate the food are now in their 40s.) The combination =
sits on a one-inch particle board shelf in an audio closet that's about 2x3=
feet. A subwoofer is only two feet away from the closet; the floor is not =
springy. The sandbox provides much better isolation than the 30-pound piece=
of slate I had on the tennis balls for many years, and I didn't have a sub=
then.=20

There's a lengthy discussion of this issue on Audiogon.

Angus Stewart Pinkerton Angus Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rempstone, Leicestershire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
This set-up works well for me: I have an older VPI turntable (HW-19 Mark 4)=
supported on Tip-Toes, which in turn sit on top of a sandbox, which in tu=
rn sits on top of four tennis balls held in place by covers from baby food =
jars. (The babies that ate the food are now in their 40s.) The combination =
sits on a one-inch particle board shelf in an audio closet that's about 2x3=
feet. A subwoofer is only two feet away from the closet; the floor is not =
springy. The sandbox provides much better isolation than the 30-pound piece=
of slate I had on the tennis balls for many years, and I didn't have a sub=
then.=20

There's a lengthy discussion of this issue on Audiogon.
Hmmmm. Surely a much less problematic solution would be to feed the output of your preamp into a decent 24/96 or 24/192 ADC/PC with the power amp switched off, and then replay the resulting recording with no worries about vibration or feedback? There's no serious question that the recording would be identical to the original vinyl, but you'd have none of the acoustic issues of loud playback affecting the turntable system.