Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default Source for a power adapter?

"geoff" wrote in message
On 2/07/2014 2:02 p.m., Jay Ts wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014, Scott Dorsey wrote:

If anyone knows more about that, I'm happy to hear from them.

It's called MEPS :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum...mance_standard

The idea is that that devices when turned off "soft" still draw power is
transformer-based. SMPSs draw much much less in an idle state.

However there are some transformer-based PSU that are design to comply
with MEPS . Cost possibly becomes a factor there....

I think my HD recorder cable box is wasting more power than all of the
wall-warts combined.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"geoff" wrote in message
On 2/07/2014 9:32 a.m., William Sommerwerck wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

6V will NOT be ok.

And you know that... how?

I fix them.

In other words... ALL devices with a marked 5V input will malfunction or
be damaged if 6V is applied to them? ALL of them?

My point was not that the user doesn't have to pay attention to the
voltage of the power supply, but that the claim of universal unsuitability
was specious.

.... but very prudent, especially if you're providing generic advice to a
customer - or someone on the internet - or you live in a country where tort
lawsuits make up a considerable chunk of the national economy...

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Sean Conolly" wrote in message ...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

My point was not that the user doesn't have to pay attention to the voltage
of the power supply, but that the claim of universal unsuitability was
specious.

... but very prudent, especially if you're providing generic advice to a
customer - or someone on the internet - or you live in a country where
tort lawsuits make up a considerable chunk of the national economy...

Mmmm... torts...

Which is why I suggested that the OP ask the manufacturer whether a 6V would
be acceptable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

6V will NOT be ok.

And you know that... how?

I fix them.

In other words... ALL devices with a marked 5V input will malfunction or
be damaged if 6V is applied to them? ALL of them?

No. You wanna stick more volts into all your devices to see which ones
fail and which ones don't ? Or are you just happy to advise other
people to ?

Stick to selling music-centres.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/07/2014 5:40 a.m., William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Sean Conolly" wrote in message ...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

My point was not that the user doesn't have to pay attention to the
voltage of the power supply, but that the claim of universal
unsuitability was specious.

... but very prudent, especially if you're providing generic advice to
a customer - or someone on the internet - or you live in a country where
tort lawsuits make up a considerable chunk of the national economy...

Mmmm... torts...

Which is why I suggested that the OP ask the manufacturer whether a 6V
would be acceptable.

Or much easy - just get the specified power supply !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/07/2014 4:47 a.m., Sean Conolly wrote:
esign to comply
with MEPS . Cost possibly becomes a factor there....

I think my HD recorder cable box is wasting more power than all of the
wall-warts combined.

Sean

That's OK - just replace one incandescent lightbulb with a CF or LED one
and you've probably more than compensated.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

m...
"geoff" wrote in message

6V will NOT be ok.

And you know that... how?

I fix them.

In other words... ALL devices with a marked 5V input will malfunction or be
damaged if 6V is applied to them?
ALL of them?

Read what he wrote.

You want to play games? Let's play games. I'm ready.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" wrote in message
On 3/07/2014 4:47 a.m., Sean Conolly wrote:
esign to comply
with MEPS . Cost possibly becomes a factor there....

I think my HD recorder cable box is wasting more power than all of the
wall-warts combined.

Sean

That's OK - just replace one incandescent lightbulb with a CF or LED one
and you've probably more than compensated.

I think they draw a bit more than that. I need to measure it and see.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Roy W. Rising" wrote in message
Jeff Henig wrote:
"Trevor" wrote:
You got that right, a woman was killed here last week by a cheap USB
charger!

O.O

Whoah!

Never heard about that.

The huge number of USB-related injuries and deaths, especially from
battery
explosions, is so much smaller than those from person-on-person crimes and
vehicle crashes that the "Media" don't bother reporting them.

It was all over the news here in Australia, but I'm not surprised it doesn't
make the news in other countries.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jeff Henig wrote:
"Trevor" wrote:
You got that right, a woman was killed here last week by a cheap USB
charger!

O.O

Whoah!

Never heard about that.

The huge number of USB-related injuries and deaths, especially from
battery explosions, is so much smaller than those from
person-on-person crimes and vehicle crashes that the "Media" don't
bother reporting them.

It was all over the news here in Australia, but I'm not surprised it
doesn't make the news in other countries.

Given just how long RCDs etc have been around, I'm not surprised either.
It's hardly a surprise that any mains equipment can fail in a dangerous
way - for whatever reason.

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:
"Trevor" wrote:
You got that right, a woman was killed here last week by a cheap USB
charger!

O.O

Whoah!

Never heard about that.

The huge number of USB-related injuries and deaths, especially from
battery
explosions, is so much smaller than those from person-on-person crimes and
vehicle crashes that the "Media" don't bother reporting them.

It was all over the news here in Australia, but I'm not surprised it doesn't
make the news in other countries.

Trevor.

Jeepers - I wonder how many women got killed by food-processors and
never made the news ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

You can all rest with a less burdened mind in
that I did find a suitable supply at Fry's near
my home. I didn't just go there first, because
I normally don't see universal adapters with
such high wattage.

I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5
with a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly.
$19.

Tobiah

On 07/01/2014 09:21 AM, Tobiah wrote:
I got an audio interface off of ebay that didn't come with a power supply.
The manual says it's a 5V 2A DC output. I started looking for a replacement
and didn't find much out there. I see hundreds on ebay, but my experience
is that ebay is a very poor source for memory, batteries and power supplies.
I recently got 3 usb chargers off ebay from two different vendors that were rated
at 2.1 amps, but would only deliver 300-500ma. I know that there are many
name brand counterfeits on ebay for batteries and power supplies. There were
many auctions that called out my exact interface: "Power supply for M-Audio
Fast Track Ultra". Then I'd zoom into the photo and see that the supply was
rated at 500ma, or 4 volts, etc.

So the question is, aside from finding an OEM, which would be cool, where
can I go to get such a power supply where I can trust that the device ratings
will be accurate.

Thanks,

Toby

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."

What is the unloaded voltage?
Is it conventional or switching?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 07/03/2014 09:57 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."

What is the unloaded voltage?
Is it conventional or switching?

I can measure it when I get home. I'm not sure
how to tell the difference between the two types.

This is the one I got:

http://www.frys.com/product/5249157#detailed

They don't say very much about it, but one thing
I noticed is that it's pretty small and pretty light.
In the past, any time I've had a 2A power supply it's
been large and heavy, particularly if it was a 12V.

This one sits nicely on the wall. The others I've
seen (from decades ago I suppose) had two cords so
that the unit could sit on the ground.

Tobiah

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Ts[_4_] Jay Ts[_4_] is offline

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Jay Ts wrote:

I was wondering what was going on, and I'm no legal expert, but found
some things in the federal act that banned 100 watt lightbulbs that
applied to power adapters. I think maybe the linear style was
effectively banned by that due to their lower efficiency.

Not that I know of.

I searched for it again, and found it. It's called the Energy
Independence and Security Act of 2007:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy...ty_Act_of_2007

and this seems official:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-11...110publ140.htm

The part about power adapters is in section 301.

Then I tried to find a linear power adapter at Mouser, and found this:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/410/WDU9-300-224465.pdf

The datasheet contains this:

"U.S. DOE Compliance per Sec. 301 of EISA 2007: As of July 1, 2008, this
product is intended for use as follows:
1. Requires Federal Food and Drug Administration listing and approval
as a medical device in accordance with section 513 of the Federal
Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 360c)
2. Powers the charger of a detachable battery pack or charges the
battery of a product that is fully or primarily motor operated.
3. As a service part or a spare part for an end-use product manufactured
before July 1, 2008, that constitutes the primary load of this power
supply."

The model is listed at Mouser as "NRND" = Not Recommended for New Designs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

You want to play games? Let's play games. I'm ready.

I don't swing that way, Willie. You'll have to play "Willie's always
right" by yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."

What is the unloaded voltage?
Is it conventional or switching?

I can measure it when I get home. I'm not sure
how to tell the difference between the two types.

This is the one I got:

http://www.frys.com/product/5249157#detailed

They don't say very much about it, but one thing
I noticed is that it's pretty small and pretty light.
In the past, any time I've had a 2A power supply it's
been large and heavy, particularly if it was a 12V.

This one sits nicely on the wall. The others I've
seen (from decades ago I suppose) had two cords so
that the unit could sit on the ground.

From the current-rating and the size it would have to be a SMPS.

If you have a meter, suggest measure the output voltage, for curiosity
more than anything.

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up a few volts
and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

If you have a meter, suggest measure the output voltage, for curiosity more than anything.

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up a few volts and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

It blew up a 8.4. I'm so glad I know that now!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"None" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

You want to play games? Let's play games. I'm ready.

I don't swing that way, Willie. You'll have to play "Willie's
always right" by yourself.

Find a cure for your functional illiteracy, and then perhaps we can have a
discussion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" wrote in message

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up
a few volts and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it sure isn't an intelligent
remark.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 7/3/2014 9:57 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."

What is the unloaded voltage?

I stuck a regular voltmeter on it
and got 5.2V.

Toby

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:

They don't say very much about it, but one thing
I noticed is that it's pretty small and pretty light.

This is because it's a switcher.

In the past, any time I've had a 2A power supply it's
been large and heavy, particularly if it was a 12V.

This is because those were linear supplies which are quieter and probably
more reliable than switchers.

This one sits nicely on the wall. The others I've
seen (from decades ago I suppose) had two cords so
that the unit could sit on the ground.

Those are called "line lumps" instead of wall warts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"None" wrote in message

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

You want to play games? Let's play games. I'm ready.

I don't swing that way, Willie. You'll have to play "Willie's
always right" by yourself.

Find a cure for your functional illiteracy, and then perhaps we can
have a discussion.

Find a cure for your fantasy that you're always right, and you'll
still be a pompous blowhard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up
a few volts and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it sure isn't an
intelligent remark.

Showing your functional illiteracy? Read what he wrote.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

m...
"geoff" wrote in message

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up
a few volts and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it sure isn't an intelligent
remark.

Showing your functional illiteracy? Read what he wrote.

He said that a 6V supply would be unsuitable for any device with a power jack
marked 5V. He might not have meant that, but I can't read his mind. That's
what he said.

Would you care to ask Harold Bloom for his opinion? (I thought not.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."
What is the unloaded voltage?

I stuck a regular voltmeter on it and got 5.2V.

Oh, my God! It's 4% high! Your equipment will be destroyed! Blown to
smithereens!

Head for the hills, men!

(Does my sarcasm, directed at someones elses, come through? I wouldn't want
any misunderstanding.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
m...
"geoff" wrote in message

And to check out Some Willy's theory, why not crank it up
a few volts and see if you device blows up or not ?!!!

I hope that's supposed to be a joke, because it sure isn't an
intelligent remark.

Showing your functional illiteracy? Read what he wrote.

He said that a 6V supply would be unsuitable for any device with a
power jack marked 5V. He might not have meant that, but I can't read
his mind.

Apparently, you can't read the words he posted either

That's what he said.

Read what he wrote.

Would you care to ask Harold Bloom for his opinion? (I thought not.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/07/2014 12:00 p.m., Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tobiah wrote:

They don't say very much about it, but one thing
I noticed is that it's pretty small and pretty light.

This is because it's a switcher.

In the past, any time I've had a 2A power supply it's
been large and heavy, particularly if it was a 12V.

This is because those were linear supplies which are quieter and probably
more reliable than switchers.

There seems to be a large range in quality (lack=noise) of SMPS outputs.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

I found just one that had the desired amps, at 2.5, with
a stop at 5V, and one of the plugs fit snugly. $19.

"Just askin'..."
What is the unloaded voltage?

I stuck a regular voltmeter on it and got 5.2V.

Oh, my God! It's 4% high! Your equipment will be destroyed! Blown to
smithereens!

Head for the hills, men!

(Does my sarcasm, directed at someones elses, come through? I wouldn't
want any misunderstanding.)

I understand "someones elses" . I see what you are driving at with your
functional illiteracy comments.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Jeff Henig wrote:
"Trevor" wrote:
You got that right, a woman was killed here last week by a cheap USB
charger!

O.O

Whoah!

Never heard about that.

The huge number of USB-related injuries and deaths, especially from
battery explosions, is so much smaller than those from
person-on-person crimes and vehicle crashes that the "Media" don't
bother reporting them.

It was all over the news here in Australia, but I'm not surprised it
doesn't make the news in other countries.

Given just how long RCDs etc have been around, I'm not surprised either.

RCD's are compulsory in new homes here, but many older homes, including
mine, don't have them.

It's hardly a surprise that any mains equipment can fail in a dangerous
way - for whatever reason.

Devices that meet the required safety standards here will fail safe. The
Chinese device that didn't meet the standard has been recalled as expected
I hear GM is the USA is currently experiencing *many* recalls following a
number of deaths, (just as Toyota did a while ago) so it's not confined to
the Chinese electronics industry either.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
Jeepers - I wonder how many women got killed by food-processors and never
made the news ?

I bet they would make the news here if they did. Our press loves that sort
of thing. We even get coverage of every shooting massacre you have in the
USA, and that's nearly every other week!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Trevor wrote:
Given just how long RCDs etc have been around, I'm not surprised
either.

RCD's are compulsory in new homes here, but many older homes, including
mine, don't have them.

Makes sense to upgrade, then.

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"None" wrote in message
m...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Apparently, you can't read the words he posted, either.

That's what he said.

Read what he wrote.

There can be a gap between the literal written word, and the implied meaning.
It goes under the name of "connotation".

What blockhead you are. I can imagine you taking a college-level literature
course, and the instructor banging his or her head against the chalkboard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"None" wrote in message
m...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Apparently, you can't read the words he posted, either.

That's what he said.

Read what he wrote.

There can be a gap between the literal written word, and the implied
meaning. It goes under the name of "connotation".

But when someone derives a connotation from your writing, you throw a
hissy little tantrum and tell them to read what you wrote. You don't
seem to understand that what you infer is very frequently not actually
implied by the writer. Your hallucination that you're always right
overwhelms your ability to reason, so you start blubbering and
pontificating. As entertainment, it's on a par with a bad sitcom. Get
a laugh track, li'l buddy.

What blockhead you are. I can imagine you taking a college-level
literature course, and the instructor banging his or her head
against the chalkboard.

You have a very strange fantasy life. Stop fantasizing about me, Li'l
Willie Wiener******.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"None" wrote in message
news "William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There can be a gap between the literal written word, and the
implied meaning. It goes under the name of "connotation".

But when someone derives a connotation from your writing, you
throw a hissy little tantrum and tell them to read what you wrote.
You don't seem to understand that what you infer is very frequently
not actually implied by the writer.

What /you/ don't understand is that what the writer /meant/ to say doesn't
matter. It's what's actually on the page. And that's what we have here -- a
blanket statement about the universal unsuitability of 6V power supplies for
all 5V devices, which anyone who's had a reasonable amount of electronics
experience knows isn't true.

I am (horrors!) sometimes guilty of sloppy writing. But when I say "read what
I wrote", it's because people are carelessly or deliberately misreading it --
not because I didn't consciously say what I meant.

Your hallucination that you're always right overwhelms your ability
to reason, so you start blubbering and pontificating. As entertainment,
it's on a par with a bad sitcom. Get a laugh track, li'l buddy.

We keep coming back to this, your claim that I said I was always right. I
never said any such thing, and (amazingly) you've correctly quoted me:

"I'm (almost) always right."

averring that the "almost" doesn't count. Here's a scene with your
fourth-grade English teacher:

"Captain Corcoran sings that he's "hardly ever sick at sea". What does he
mean, class? That...
He's never sick.
He's on occasion sick.
He's always sick. ?"
None's hand goes up, flapping as his body shakes.
The teacher sighs. "Yes, St Vitus?"
"He means he's always sick."
"How do you figure that?"
"Well, he says he's sick at sea."
"What about the 'hardly ever'?"
"Doesn't matter. He said 'sick at sea'."
"So you can just ignore the 'hardly ever'?"
"Of course."

Fifty years ago, I got 800+ on my math SAT, and 765 (I think) on English. *
Throughout college I got As in my English courses. (And I'm an EE.) Don't tell
me I don't understand words, or their meanings, or how those meanings interact
to convey ideas (intentionally or unintentionally, literal or implied).

And as for fantasies... Yours about my not having a job because I'm a poor
writer, and not having any friends (for unstated reasons) -- from what
Wonderland do they descend from?

Everyone has problems. One of mine is the urge to respond to idiots. I
shouldn't, but I figure if I don't, I've implicitly given in to their attacks.
Perhaps some day one of my remarks will hit home, and None will seek out the
professional treatment he needs -- to find out why he has nothing better to do
than to pointlessly spew ad hominem attacks on people he doesn't know.

* The reason for such a "low" English score appears to have been those
"analogy" questions. They're the only questions, on any type of test I've ever
taken, that gave me trouble. I often found myself trying to distinguish
between two answers that seemed only subtly different from each other. As far
as I know, the analogy questions were dropped from the SAT several years ago.
But I had no trouble finding this page:

http://www.onlinetestprep.com/engine/analogy.asp

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 13:16:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Trevor wrote:
Given just how long RCDs etc have been around, I'm not surprised
either.

RCD's are compulsory in new homes here, but many older homes, including
mine, don't have them.

Makes sense to upgrade, then.

Problem is that one safety reg is now fighting another. Most devices
that use a swicthed-mode power supply contain Y1 capacitors to deal
with conducted interference. Every such device plugged into the mains
increases the unbalanced current caused by these caps to the point
where plugging a final one in can trip an RCD.

The only real answer is to either develop smart RCDs that only respond
to in-phase currents or increase the trip threshold. These things have
to be cheap, so it will be the latter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
What /you/ don't understand is that what the writer /meant/ to say
doesn't matter. It's what's actually on the page.

Your inferences and your own opinions about connotations are not on
the page.

And that's what we have here -- a blanket statement about the
universal unsuitability of 6V power supplies for all 5V devices,
which anyone who's had a reasonable amount of electronics experience
knows isn't true.

Your inference about universality is your own problem

I am (horrors!) sometimes guilty of sloppy writing. But when I say
"read what I wrote", it's because people are carelessly or
deliberately misreading it -- not because I didn't consciously say
what I meant.

Yeah, your sloppy writing is everyone else's fault, despite what you
actually put on the page. Did you even read what you wrote? "It's
what's actually on the page." Read what you wrote. Of course, what you
wrote may be very wrong, but you aren't honest enough to deal with
that obvious fact.

Your hallucination that you're always right overwhelms your ability
to reason, so you start blubbering and pontificating. As
entertainment,
it's on a par with a bad sitcom. Get a laugh track, li'l buddy.

We keep coming back to this, your claim that I said I was always
right. I never said any such thing, and (amazingly) you've correctly
quoted me:

"I'm (almost) always right."

averring that the "almost" doesn't count.

Read what you wrote:

"Sorry, but I am always always right."

Are you in denial? And are you denying that you set off the "almost"
in parentheses, or slashes (poor writing, that), to distance it from
yourself and your bloated claim as if the "almost" is of less
important than the rest of the claim? Read what you wrote: "Sorry, but
I am always always right."

Here's a scene with your fourth-grade English teacher:

No, it's scene from some fantasy world in which you're hiding.

"Captain Corcoran sings that he's "hardly ever sick at sea".
... flush li'l Willie's fantasy from his school days

"Of course."

What that elaborate fantasy has to do with reality is anybody's guess,
but it's based more on your own fertile imagination than any reality.
It's pretty easy to tell what fertilizes your imagination, including
big piles of bovine manure.

Fifty years ago, I got 800+ on my math SAT, and 765 (I think) on
English. *

Well, aren't you impressed with yourself!

Throughout college I got As in my English courses. (And I'm an EE.)
Don't tell me I don't understand words, or their meanings, or how
those meanings interact to convey ideas (intentionally or
unintentionally, literal or implied).

I'll tell you whatever I like, Willie. You have no authority here.
Bragging about how smart you used to be doesn't give you any power
over me, and it doesn't make you always right.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Don Pearce wrote:
Makes sense to upgrade, then.

Problem is that one safety reg is now fighting another. Most devices
that use a swicthed-mode power supply contain Y1 capacitors to deal
with conducted interference. Every such device plugged into the mains
increases the unbalanced current caused by these caps to the point
where plugging a final one in can trip an RCD.

I've got an awful lot of them here, without problems. Although I do have
RCBOs. Which would tend to minimise the problem over a whole house RCD.

The only real answer is to either develop smart RCDs that only respond
to in-phase currents or increase the trip threshold. These things have
to be cheap, so it will be the latter.

If you increase the trip threshold it defeats the object?

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *