Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default FLAC help needed

After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the installer installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.

Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI based, for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!
Paul S.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Shaun Shaun is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message

After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware
attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the installer
installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the
older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I
actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find
flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.

Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI based,
for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!
Paul S.

Go to the sourceforge website, that is where it originates. I was able to
download the FLAC installer with "flac.exe" in it and and FLAC frontend. I
would also suggest that you upgrade your OS or if needed your whole
computer!!

Shaun

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 12:02:46 AM UTC-6, Shaun wrote:
"PStamler" wrote in message

After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware

attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the installer

installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the

older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I

actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find

flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.

Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI based,

for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!

Paul S.

Go to the sourceforge website, that is where it originates. I was able to

download the FLAC installer with "flac.exe" in it and and FLAC frontend. I

would also suggest that you upgrade your OS or if needed your whole

computer!!

I have reasons to stay with XP. But meanwhile, I'll check out SourceForge's FLAC.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message
After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware
attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the installer
installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the
older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I
actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find
flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.

Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI based,
for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!
Paul S.

--------------------------------------

Just copy the flac.exe into c:\windows\system32 .

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 8:25:09 AM UTC-6, Sean Conolly wrote:
"PStamler" wrote in message

After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware

attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the installer

installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the

older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I

actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find

flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.

Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI based,

for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!

Paul S.

--------------------------------------

Just copy the flac.exe into c:\windows\system32 .

I did. No luck.

I've tried re-downloading the whole package of flac.exe, FLAC frontend, etc. The result? All of the sources come with malware included -- Iminent, Content Explorer, etc. Is there an uncontaminated source for a FLAC package?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/07/2014 18:35, PStamler wrote:
Just copy the flac.exe into c:\windows\system32 .

I did. No luck.

I've tried re-downloading the whole package of flac.exe, FLAC frontend, etc. The result? All of the sources come with malware included -- Iminent, Content Explorer, etc. Is there an uncontaminated source for a FLAC package?

Go to the original source:-

sourceforge.net/projects/flac/

Graphic front end for it from he-

sourceforge.net/projects/flacfrontend/?source=recommended

If it's still suffering from malware when you download it and the front
end from the site linked to on those pages, then the problem is
elsewhere in your system.

If you're up to it, you can even download the source code from that site
and build the program yourself.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message
After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware
attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the
installer
installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the
older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I
actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find
flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.
Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI
based,

for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!
Paul S.

--------------------------------------

I like LameXP for that setup, which despite it's name does FLAC and many
other formats very well.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Shaun Shaun is offline

"Trevor" wrote in message ...

"PStamler" wrote in message
After years of using the FLAC front end, it got wiped out in a malware
attack, and I'm trying to reinstate it. In my first attempt, the
installer
installed some unwanted software. In my second attempt, I downloaded the
older version of FLAC Front-end, and it works up to the point where I
actually ask it to decode something...then it tells me it can't find
flac.exe. Which is sitting right next to it in the folder.
Can someone recommend a good, clean install of FLAC, preferably GUI
based,

for Win XP 32 bit?

Thanks!
Paul S.

--------------------------------------

I like LameXP for that setup, which despite it's name does FLAC and many
other formats very well.

Trevor.

Don't give me any FLAC buddy!! Actually I'll take that over MP3s

Shaun ; - ))

HELP needed understanding AIFF & FLAC "lossless" formats Terry[_3_] Pro Audio 29 June 3rd 08 05:40 PM
WAV vs FLAC [email protected] Pro Audio 46 October 16th 06 02:22 AM
WAV vs FLAC [email protected] High End Audio 5 September 28th 06 12:46 AM
Flac Vs. Wav [email protected] Tech 10 September 26th 06 03:15 PM
how to rip to FLAC? Yibbels Tech 2 May 2nd 05 07:55 PM