Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Rode Lav Mic

A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners, this one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the sound is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't sound so hot.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:28:14 -0500, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners, this one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the sound is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't sound so
hot.

which sennheiser?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message
A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners, this
one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the sound
is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't sound
so hot.

Lav mics are so 90s.

Countryman E6's rule!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners,
this one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the
sound is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't
sound so hot.

Lav mics are so 90s.

Countryman E6's rule!

I'd never stick a mic down a lav anyway. Sound like **** (_)*(_)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

geoff wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners,
this one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the
sound is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't
sound so hot.

Lav mics are so 90s.

Countryman E6's rule!

I'd never stick a mic down a lav anyway. Sound like **** (_)*(_)

geoff

I tell a lie - I'd stick a C1000 down the lav, and flush.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/29/2011 10:16 AM, Ty Ford wrote:

which sennheiser?

Which Rode? Or do they make only one lav?

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras Charles Tomaras is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
A buddy just got the Rode lav mic. While most lav mics are yawners, this
one
sounds fabulous. Has anyone here tried one? I wonder how much of the sound
is
the mic and how much is his environment. His Sennheiser lav didn't sound
so hot.

I'd love to hear the Rode myself but quite honestly most brand new high
quality lav mics usually sound decent. People forget that lav mics are
"expendables" and they age with use, drift from other same vintage lavs and
generally don't match very well after a decent number of uses. They are far
different animals than a great studio mic, which with care will perform
admirably and repeated well for a very long time. Unless your buddy's
Sennheiser lav is relatively new and unused, most comparisons aren't of much
value save for the immediate comparison of "which mic sounds the best today
in the environment its going to be used in. I have a large stash of lav mics
with many of the same make and model and often will spend some time before a
two lav interview (if lavs have to be used) to listen to a number of them
and match two that sound good on that day in that room. I'm especially
listening to how they react to any ambient air handling noise etc. Even
though both voices might sound acceptable, one might be accentuating the AC
etc.

Never forget, lav mics are "problem solvers." If you don't have a problem,
use a real mic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/30/2011 1:25 PM, Charles Tomaras wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Charles, you make good points. If you have a relationship with a Rode dealer who
will let you try one, it would be great to hear your opinion of the Rode out of
the box. I hate lav mics, but sometimes they're the right tool for the job. The
ME1 sounded similar to the Oscar Technology copy of the Tram TR-1, but the Rode
sounded great. If the guy's acoustics had been a little better, I would have
thought he was using a real mic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:32:32 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ) :

Countryman E6's rule!
------------------------------snip------------------------------

The stick on the side of an actor's face doesn't work too well in movies and
TV. Fine for stage, though.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:34:52 -0500, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

Charles, you make good points. If you have a relationship with a Rode dealer
who will let you try one, it would be great to hear your opinion of the Rode
out of the box. I hate lav mics, but sometimes they're the right tool for the

job. The ME1 sounded similar to the Oscar Technology copy of the Tram TR-1,
but the Rode sounded great. If the guy's acoustics had been a little better,
I would have thought he was using a real mic.

Stand by...the Rode lav and pin mic just showed up. The pin mic sounds a lot
smoother than Ric's original. Haven't tried the lav yet..

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/3/2012 5:09 PM, Ty Ford wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:34:52 -0500, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

Charles, you make good points. If you have a relationship with a Rode dealer
who will let you try one, it would be great to hear your opinion of the Rode
out of the box. I hate lav mics, but sometimes they're the right tool for the

job. The ME1 sounded similar to the Oscar Technology copy of the Tram TR-1,
but the Rode sounded great. If the guy's acoustics had been a little better,
I would have thought he was using a real mic.

Stand by...the Rode lav and pin mic just showed up. The pin mic sounds a lot
smoother than Ric's original. Haven't tried the lav yet..

I'm anxious to hear your opinion of the lav. Since I made the original post,
I've heard the mic in use several times. While the acoustics in the room are
horrible, the mic sounds good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

..

I'm anxious to hear your opinion of the lav. Since I made the original post,
I've heard the mic in use several times. While the acoustics in the room are
horrible, the mic sounds good.

my limited experience with lavs is that the mic itself could be
perfectly flat but they can still sound honky due to their location
next to the chest or head.

One of the early Shure lavs SM83 actually has a little notch in the
response around 800 Hz for that reason.

I think EQ is mandatory with lavs not due to any fault of the mic
itself but due to their location.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:39:38 -0500, Mark wrote
(in article
):

.

I'm anxious to hear your opinion of the lav. Since I made the original post,
I've heard the mic in use several times. While the acoustics in the room are
horrible, the mic sounds good.

my limited experience with lavs is that the mic itself could be
perfectly flat but they can still sound honky due to their location
next to the chest or head.

One of the early Shure lavs SM83 actually has a little notch in the
response around 800 Hz for that reason.

I think EQ is mandatory with lavs not due to any fault of the mic
itself but due to their location.

Mark

Mark, Yes, location is VERY important and it also varies from person to
person due to how their particular body resonates their voice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ty Ford wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:39:38 -0500, Mark wrote
(in article
):

I think EQ is mandatory with lavs not due to any fault of the mic
itself but due to their location.

Mark, Yes, location is VERY important and it also varies from person to
person due to how their particular body resonates their voice.

Sometimes it varies dynamically with the person depending on the position
of their head and you spend all your time riding one knob on the EQ as
they move around.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:26:32 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Ty Ford wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:39:38 -0500, Mark wrote
(in article
):

I think EQ is mandatory with lavs not due to any fault of the mic
itself but due to their location.

Mark, Yes, location is VERY important and it also varies from person to
person due to how their particular body resonates their voice.

Sometimes it varies dynamically with the person depending on the position
of their head and you spend all your time riding one knob on the EQ as
they move around.
--scott

Sure. If the host is between two people, mount the lav in the center. If the
guest is camera left of the host mount the lav on the guest's camera right
lapel.

BTW, I have uploaded the files for the Rode lav compared to a Countryman B6
and EMW. Here they are.

http://db.tt/UAaKhP3r

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:26:32 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote

Sometimes it varies dynamically with the person depending on the position
of their head and you spend all your time riding one knob on the EQ as
they move around.

Sure. If the host is between two people, mount the lav in the center. If the
guest is camera left of the host mount the lav on the guest's camera right
lapel.

The problem is with unskilled people and people who are talking on the fly
and moving around unpredictably.

BTW, I have uploaded the files for the Rode lav compared to a Countryman B6
and EMW. Here they are.

http://db.tt/UAaKhP3r

Not bad!

Rode NT-1 vs NT-2 adam79 Pro Audio 31 October 15th 07 09:03 PM
WTB RODE NT3 Dave Pro Audio 2 June 29th 04 02:52 PM
Was Rode NT5 and Rode NT2 moisture problems... RoKKo Pro Audio 2 March 8th 04 03:59 AM
Rode K2 Geoff Wood Pro Audio 2 December 22nd 03 08:14 AM
WTB: RODE NT-5 Mic Waves1202 Pro Audio 0 December 5th 03 04:57 AM