Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default New Basic Version of Red-Eye - the Dee-Eye

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered, tuner
loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Daren comes to most o four shows when we play in Austin. He's a fan of
acoustic music, even when, as this morning, it gets played in a packed
and noisy brunch venue.

He brought the very first Dee-Eye to show me, and left it with me as a
demo unit. It is remarkably compact.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kcukbr.1b4h9rp1r4yioyN%
:

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely

featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye. Daren put

this
together in response to sound humans requesting it for venues.

No battery, no boost, no high frequency control - phantom powered,
tuner loop, input and output, in a very small box, built very

stoutly.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

Neat, thanks!

Daren comes to most o four shows when we play in Austin. He's a fan of
acoustic music, even when, as this morning, it gets played in a packed
and noisy brunch venue.

He brought the very first Dee-Eye to show me, and left it with me as a
demo unit. It is remarkably compact.

Do you know what the input impedance and gain specs are on these units?
Greater the 1M ohm is not a spec and I'd like to know how much
amplification they provide, 10dB, 20dB.....?

Steve Hawkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Cliff Cliff is offline

Fire-Eye Development now offers a very simple, completely featureless,
less costly version of the Red-Eye, called the Dee-Eye.

Just in time for Christmas too.......they could have called it
'Rudolph', the Red-Eyed Rein-Dee-Eye.

C.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

He doesn't spec the input impedance beyond that statement.

Once upon a time that might have put me off. Fortunately my first
introduction to the device was during a soundcheck, when Mark Creaney
noticed I had a guitar in one hand, a mandolin in the other, and a
single PADI, and offered me another DI so I wouldn't have to swap
instruments into the Baggs. I connected the mando, hit a chord and went
"WTF???"

They provide almost no amplification when not in boost mode, and even
then, the output level is within what we would call mic level. Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo pickup
into a balanced mic feed. IME they also work extremely well with passive
electromagnetic pickups, i.e., with Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Jazz and P
basses, Bill Lawrence pickups, etc.

In fact, internally, once the signal is buffered at the input, the level
is decreased in order to prevent clipping in the effect stomp boxes many
players deploy. During his prototyping stage he found that he'd created
a fine sounding device that often turned to crap when those effects were
inserted. He bought a bunch of stomp boxes, hit his test bench with them
and discovered that almost all of them clipped at a surprisingly low
input level.

Shaidri and I recently went to Daren's house and connected the walnut
McC and her fiddle to a Red Eye Twin Mix, to see if we could clip it
while feeding it both sources. The 'scope told us, "No way", and I
heartily flogged the guitar, while she laid into the fiddle, which even
with normal playing has much greater output than the K&K rig.

The original Red-Eye Twin will be superseded by the Mix version once the
original Twin stock has been sold.

The Dee-Eye has even more headroom, and will not clip with a 5V input.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Larry Pattis Larry Pattis is offline

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo pickup
into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

--
LP
http://www.LarryPattis.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kcvl84.n43bd81d7764cN%
:

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Thanks! If he ever decides to do a preamp, let me know.

Steve Hawkins
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Larry Pattis wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo pickup
into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It's hit or miss there. Sometimes it works fine, and other times not
well at all. For instance, with Al Evans' High Noon with active system
begets a horrible result. With Andrew Hardin's Baggs UST and active
system begets a better result than Andrew has otherwise experienced.

I try to discourage those with active systems from buying, unless we get
to try it first.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Peter Larsen wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Ain't gonna happen. It differs from a typical DI in that is has no
dedicated DI output, though one can use the send output of the effects
insrt loop for that purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

Steve Hawkins wrote:

Larry Pattis wrote in
news:261220110820512060% lid:

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo
pickup into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It sounds like a high quality, active DI, like the Countryman and
Radial offerings. It really isn't a preamp, IMHO. If they ever
decide to take that next step, I'd be interested.

Steve, bear with me, I'd like to understand what problem it is that it
doesn't solve since it does the job of interfacing a high impedance
source, be it inductive (magnetic) or a piezo, to a standard impedance
balanced mic or line input.

A good DI should be transparent, neither adding nor subtracting from the
instrument's sound. It's purpose is to also allow Hi-z instruments and
equipment to use long cable runs (100's of feet).

I like to have control over the "color" of the signal I send to the
board/amplifier. I prefer the sound dude just take care of feedback and
leave the board EQ flat. I also use multiple guitars and want to be able
to turn down the volume to switch guitars without needing some other
device or flagging the sound dude to mute the signal. The preamp I
currently use is matched to the pickups I use and has a DI output. Also,
if I'm using a couple of effects pedals it's nice to have the extra gain
and I can't tell you the number of times the Phase Switch has solved a
feedback problem.

For me this just started with "Hey, nice to have", but it has led to
the supplementary question: which pickups could/should I consider for
a classical spanish guitar, if any?

Hank and I both use the passive version of the K&K Sound, Pure Western
Mini pickup. No batteries, preamp or nest of wires inside the guitar. I
use the K&K Sound, Pure XLR preamp with mine. The K&K pickup wants to
see a 1M ohm input impedance. A lot of the preamps on the market are 10M
ohm input for the UST pickups from Baggs, Fishman and such.

If you're a "Classical" player I'm not sure any pickup will make you
happy. The Classical guys I've done sound for all wanted to be mic'd and
woe be unto me if the mic is a bright sounding one. If you just like the
nylon sound I'd look into the K&K, they make a classical guitar version.

http://www.kksound.com/pureclassic.html

http://www.kksound.com/purexlrpreamp.html

Steve Hawkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

Steve Hawkins wrote in
31.10:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Forgot to mention, Shoreline has the best prices on K7K gear.

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/amplification/kk.shtml

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo
pickup into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It sounds like a high quality, active DI, like the Countryman and
Radial offerings. It really isn't a preamp, IMHO. If they ever
decide to take that next step, I'd be interested.

Steve, bear with me, I'd like to understand what problem it is that it
doesn't solve since it does the job of interfacing a high impedance source,
be it inductive (magnetic) or a piezo, to a standard impedance balanced mic
or line input.

Steve wants more control over the signal he's sending to the console
than I require for most of my performances.

Sometimes I'll ask for a change in monitor EQ that may or may not play
well with EQ to the house. If I take care of it on stage I've left the
operator no option for a different setting for the house.

For performances where I'll need more control I have a variety of
options, the most common of which is a two-space rack with a Great River
MP2-MH preamp and a pair of Speck ASC-T EQ's.

When I need to mute the Red-Eye I step on the tuner, currently a Sonic
Research ST-200.

Given that I am most often carrying only one guitar and a mandolin, the
Red-Eye Twin has been a blessing in that I need only mute via the
stompbox tuner, and then switch the Red-Eye to the other input, so I
don't have to request that the operator mute the channel.

The R-E Twin has gain adjustment for each source, to allow matching
levels sent to the console, and thereby requiring only a single snake
and board channel for the two instruments.

I am satisfied with the tone of each instrument to the point that
whatever EQ works for one in the house and in the stage monitors also
works for the other instrument. If that was not the case this approach
wouldn't work worth a darn. Several operators have commented that they
hadn't needed to EQ anything for me, nor for Shaidri.

For me this just started with "Hey, nice to have", but it has led to the
supplementary question: which pickups could/should I consider for a
classical spanish guitar, if any?

Some time next year I plan to have K&K's Pure Classic pickup installed
in my nylon string guitar, a late '60's H. Tamura & Sons instrument.

http://www.kksound.com/pureclassic.html

Steve Hawkins

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Steve Hawkins wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kcvqsn.1hvh9u5bcoo4yN%
:

Larry Pattis wrote:

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo

pickup
into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It's hit or miss there. Sometimes it works fine, and other times not
well at all. For instance, with Al Evans' High Noon with active system
begets a horrible result. With Andrew Hardin's Baggs UST and active
system begets a better result than Andrew has otherwise experienced.

I try to discourage those with active systems from buying, unless we

get
to try it first.

Whoa, what do they think is causing that, overdriving the input or a
tone/impedance mismatch thing? The onboard stuff is usually designed to
be plugged directly into an amp or console.

I don't know, Steve. Daren has commented that his design is meant to
receive the signal directly from a pickup and that in the case of active
systems there should be no benefit. Sometimes that is the case, and
sometimes not.

He's not much interested in the active system scenario.

--
shut up and play your guitar *
http://hankalrich.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic

Steve Hawkins wrote:

Hank and I both ...

Thanks guys!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/26/2011 11:20 AM, Larry Pattis wrote:

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

I'm not sure what a UST is (sounds like a weapon of mass
destruction) but if it's a guitar with active electronics,
the answer is "maybe." If you're plugging the guitar
directly into an amplifier, then probably not. Any damage or
damage control at the interface to the pickup has already
been done by the instrument's electronics.

If you need to run the guitar through 100 feet of cable and
back to a mixer, then for sure. It gives you a balanced
output that, to a mixer, looks like a microphone. It will
probably do less damage at this job than a cheap DI box.

I think that some of you need to understand the difference
between a "guitar preamp" and a "DI." A preamp has voltage
gain - it'll make it easier for you to overdrive an
amplifier. But it can't have too much gain because
instrument pickups have a pretty high level as is. Slam on a
guitar and you can get 5 volts out of a pickup. Scream into
a sensitive microphone and you might get a half a volt.

A pickup doesn't quite make it to what we consider to be
"line" level but it's much higher than mic level. Most line
inputs can squeeze enough gain to get a usable signal if you
were to plug a pickup directly in, but with a nominal line
input impedance of 10k to 20k ohms, the pickup's inductance,
if it's a magnetic pickup, will start to look like a high
cut filter. And if it's a piezo pickup, the line input will
try to draw too much current from the pickup and the level
will go way down.

A DI is an impedance matcher, and in this sense, it has
current gain and actually voltage loss. You don't want to
put 5 volts into a standard mic preamp (or mic input on a
mixer), nor do you want to load a high impedance (which is
why they have a pretty high output level) pickup output with
a 1500 ohm mic preamp input impedance.

No one box will solve all problems or improve anything that
you connect to it. It depends.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/26/2011 11:20 AM, Larry Pattis wrote:

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

I'm not sure what a UST is

UST = Under Saddle Transducer

SBT = Sound Board Transducer

(sounds like a weapon of mass
destruction)

In some hands, yes. See Ty's recent comments about letting someone else
abuse his Martin.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
don hindenach[_2_] don hindenach[_2_] is offline

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo
pickup into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It sounds like a high quality, active DI, like the Countryman and
Radial offerings. It really isn't a preamp, IMHO. If they ever
decide to take that next step, I'd be interested.

Steve, bear with me, I'd like to understand what problem it is that it
doesn't solve since it does the job of interfacing a high impedance
source, be it inductive (magnetic) or a piezo, to a standard impedance
balanced mic or line input.

A good DI should be transparent, neither adding nor subtracting from the
instrument's sound. It's purpose is to also allow Hi-z instruments and
equipment to use long cable runs (100's of feet).

This is exactly what the Red-Eye products actually do

We also find that the mix guys tend to leave our signal flat at the board and be happy about it.

And the Twin allows us to match gain for a couple instruments, as you mention you need.

Somehow, the seeming need to change 'colour' appears to melt in the mist once a Red-Eye is inserted in the signal chain - ya just want to play the insrument!

So have one of us send you one to try, k?

--
donh
donh at audiosys dot com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Don, I appreciate the offer, but I require a true preamp and the control
it gives me. There are too many situations where a Phase Switch saves
the day in addition to dealing with rooms and sound systems that don't
flatter the guitar. I know what the guitar sounds like, the sound dudes
don't. If I trust them, I set my EQ flat, give them the gain they want
and away we go.

Heck, I feel pretty good about my little $150 K&K preamp after finding
out Pierre Bensusan is using a $7K mixer onstage. :-)

Happy New Year!
Steve Hawkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Mike Brown Mike Brown is offline

In article ,
don hindenach wrote:

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

Or just buy one as I have.

Looking forward to its arrival, and will pass comment when I've had some
time with it.

MJRB
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Mike Brown Mike Brown is offline

In article 0,
Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

I have a K&K and PADI, but neither give me a sound with which I am
completely happy (and they are too damned complicated for the effect
that they have).
With a decent sound man on the desk I get a better sound putting the K&K
straight into the desk, but I think that the Red Eye may give me that
little bit of control that I sometimes need.

Having listened to an assortment of comments, both here and on other
sites I have ordered a Red Eye.

MJRB

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arkansan Raider Arkansan Raider is offline

hank alrich wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/26/2011 11:20 AM, Larry Pattis wrote:

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

I'm not sure what a UST is

UST = Under Saddle Transducer

SBT = Sound Board Transducer

(sounds like a weapon of mass
destruction)

In some hands, yes. See Ty's recent comments about letting someone else
abuse his Martin.

*keyboard*

You owe me a new laptop, Hank. It didn't enjoy the coffee as much as I do.

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
don hindenach[_2_] don hindenach[_2_] is offline

On 31 Dec 2011 04:44:26 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

OK, send me the K&K and I'll open up the top end like crazy with a chip swap :-)

If you don't hear the difference (you will!), you don't pay me(it ain't even all that much).

--
donh
donh at audiosys dot com
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 31 Dec 2011 04:44:26 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

hank alrich wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure I'd want a brighter sounding guitar, I ussually cut the
treble.

Steve Hawkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 31 Dec 2011 04:44:26 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

[...]

I'd not assume that a linear extension of the top of the band would
equal a "brighter" sound. It could turn out the opposite, especially if
distortion in the 2KHz-10KHz region is reduced.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kdcrfu.gaovnowrr02kN%
:

Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 31 Dec 2011 04:44:26 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

[...]

Understood, but there is a such a thing as "too clean". Don, if you have
one I can try, I'd be interested.

Steve Hawkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
don hindenach[_2_] don hindenach[_2_] is offline

On 05 Jan 2012 01:56:57 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote in news:1kdcrfu.gaovnowrr02kN%
:

Steve Hawkins wrote:

don hindenach wrote in
:

On 31 Dec 2011 04:44:26 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

[...]

If I had one I'd send it, but they all got sold in favor of the Red-Eye.

and yes, I never equated the high-end extension with "brighter", only with "smoother"

--
donh
donh at audiosys dot com