Bruce J. Richman

Default Some thoughts on enjoying LP's

Ted Van Norman wrote:

On 29 Jun 2003 19:42:44 GMT, Gene Poon wrote:

Ted Van Norman wrote:

And stay the hell out of my thrift stores. All of you. There is
nothing but worthless junk in them contributed by people with bad
taste in music. What little good vinyl there is has already been
secured in private collections and kept in vaults. When you pay 50
cents for a LP, you get what you pay for.

==================================

The charities are sometimes blessed by people who clean out their
relatives' homes after they pass on. People who look at the dusty old
record albums and figure nobody will want them. When this happens, a
lot of stuff may show up all at once.

One time I found a minor treasure trove of classical LPs in a thrift
store. Somebody must have donated all of these at once, because they
were all the same kind of music: late classical, Romantic orchestral and
chamber, mostly in European pressings, immaculate condition. EMI,
Decca, Philips, DGG...with "LAST" labels on the covers and a playing log
on the back of each one!

Then I ran out of money.

I sorted out what I could pay for. Asked if they could hold the rest
for me. "No! First come, first served, too many people ask us to do
that and never come back." Okay, I went back and quickly stashed the
rest of the LPs in the bottom of a bin with used clothes in it. Went
home, got more money, and dug them out about two hours later, from what
turned out to be the used lingerie bin. I got some strange looks from
other customers who saw me pawing through used bras and panty girdles to
get the records out...

-GP (male)

It's urban myths like these that create unnecessary competition.

There are about 20 thrift stores in the urban area that I live in and
I have a regular weekly schedule for visiting each and every one of
them each week. I ain't saying one more word about this. NADA.
A $24.99 DVD-Audio of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon sounds way
better than a 50 cents thrift store LP copy of the same. Thats just
technological progress, right? Inevitable, right? And complete opera
sets starring Victoria de los Angeles and Bjoerling for a $1.50 are
just a waste of time and money when newer versions of the same opera
with modern artists on digital perfection can be had for $39.99.
(Ever noticed how immaculately kept LP opera sets usually are? I think
a lot of people bought them and never played them.)

Gawd I wish I had gone back to vinyl sooner. By the way, if 50
cents an LP isn't cheap enough, all thrift stores that I go to are
more than happy to bargain like a flea market. Buy 20 or more LPs
and they'll drop the price to 25 cents an album. It's a dirty
disgusting job but there is always some poor sucker like myself
willing to do it. But I must admit that I like the employees of
thrift stores, they are always characters with personality and soul.
Try getting that at your local digital perfection music chain store.

Ted

You had better never go to a thrift shop in Baghdad. If you do, God will roast
the stomachs in hell of you and the rest of the vinyl-buying infidels!!!!!!

Bruce J. Richman

William Balmer

Boy, I wish I had discovered this NG a few weeks ago. I could have told you
all about my church's "music rummage sale". We had between 4 and 5 thousand
LP's for sale. You guys would've had a field day.

Of course, then one of you would have snatched up the Thorens TD124 before I
got my grubby little hands on it!

Bill Balmer
Ted Van Norman

On 1 Jul 2003 15:00:18 GMT, "William Balmer"
wrote:

Boy, I wish I had discovered this NG a few weeks ago. I could have told you
all about my church's "music rummage sale". We had between 4 and 5 thousand
LP's for sale. You guys would've had a field day.

Of course, then one of you would have snatched up the Thorens TD124 before I
got my grubby little hands on it!

Bill Balmer

Interesting. A friend at work suggested I go to church rummage sales
in our area, saying that they often have plenty of LPs. Have not
had the oppurtunity to pursue this yet but it's on my short list.

"Friends of the Library" organizations have yearly sales with books
and LPs for their fundraisers in our area. 3 or 4 library
organizations in our area do this on a regular basis.

4 to 5 thousand LPs are a heck of a lot of LPs. How many sold and at
what prices?

Dropped by Goodwill on the way home from work today and picked up a
Peter Tosh demonstration disc put out by Columbia. "Equal Rights" is
the name of the LP. Killer dynamics and rhythmicaly righteous LP
with big soundstage... Sweet sweet find of the day. Maybe the find
of the week.

Ted
William Balmer

"Ted Van Norman" wrote in message

4 to 5 thousand LPs are a heck of a lot of LPs. How many sold and at
what prices?

This was a "first annual" music rummage sale, augmenting our usual general
rummage sale just after Labor Day. I'd say that we sold perhaps 1000 LPs,
though I only worked the sale in the morning, so that's a guess based on
traffic while I was there. The remaining LPs will be for sale again at the
general rummage sale, so you haven't missed your chance!

Prices were $2/LP, with everything going to half price near the end of the
sale. A bit high, in my opinion, but nobody asked me. I just priced the
electronics.

I did pick up a great collection of PDQ Bach and Tomita though. :-)

Bill Balmer