Colin

Default speaker distance question

This is a newbee question, but I have to ask;

Is there a minimum distance that speakers have to be away from the listener
to sound the way they are suppose to. I live in an apartment (no complaints
yet from other tenants) and my setup is very close to the couch where I sit.
I find my Polk Audio speakers have alittle to much treble and this changes
if I stand or sit down. what can I do??

thanks,

In this digital age, I must declare;
that I am not a number, I am a free man!!
Steven Sullivan

Colin wrote:
This is a newbee question, but I have to ask;

Is there a minimum distance that speakers have to be away from the listener
to sound the way they are suppose to. I live in an apartment (no complaints
yet from other tenants) and my setup is very close to the couch where I sit.
I find my Polk Audio speakers have alittle to much treble and this changes
if I stand or sit down. what can I do??

things to try

1) If the speakers are pointed in toward you, point them straight ahead instead.

2) move your seat back a bit, or your speakers further away

3) lower the treble on your receiver/preamp

4) add curtains , rugs, other soft stuff to the room

If you sit at or closer than the point of an equilateral triangle formed by the
centers of the woofers and your sitting position, then you're in the 'near field'.
See http://www.cardas.com/insights/index.html for a guide to nearfield setup tips.
Sounds like that's your setup too. Many prefer this position, but it can be too
'detailed' or 'magnifying' for others, as you lose much of the room reflection
interaction (curtains and other soft materials can also soften treble, especially if
your listening position is outside the near field_).

--
-S.