Neil Rutman

Default Need to repair an RE-20 in LA

Where in LA would I go to repair an EV RE 20? Preferrably in the Pasadena
area? I would prefer to fix locally rather than send to EV.

Neil R

Scott Dorsey

Neil Rutman wrote:
Where in LA would I go to repair an EV RE 20? Preferrably in the Pasadena
area? I would prefer to fix locally rather than send to EV.

Why?

I am sure you could take it to AEA, but Wes might just ship it off to
EV himself.

Neil Rutman

I'm having a bit of an issue with a guy who sold me this mic on ebay. Seller
has great feedback and warned that mic was missing a "washer" which needed
to be replaced but other than that the mic works great. When I recieved the
mic black dust was pouring from it which told me that the foam had
disintegrated which a tech at EV confirmed. Tech also said that there is no
washer, that the foam holds theelement in place and that without the foam
the element could be damaged. The EV quote was somewhere between $70 and
$220 depending on whether the element needs to be refurbished or replaced.

The guy who sold me the mic is willing to work with me on this but thought
EV price was way too high, so I offered to get a quote locally.

Neil R

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

Where in LA would I go to repair an EV RE 20? Preferrably in the Pasadena
area? I would prefer to fix locally rather than send to EV.

If it's a problem that can be fixed by resoldering a wire, you can
take it to any electronic repair shop, though it would be preferable
to take it to one that specializes in music electronics because
they'll handle it like a microphone and not like a TV set.

But if the capsule needs repair, best to send it to E-V. This isn't a
"boutique" mic like the U87 for which there are people who specialize
in making them better (or at least different) than new.

What's your problem with sending it to E-V? You heard that they charge
real money for repairs now?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Scott Dorsey

Neil Rutman wrote:
I'm having a bit of an issue with a guy who sold me this mic on ebay. Seller
has great feedback and warned that mic was missing a "washer" which needed
to be replaced but other than that the mic works great. When I recieved the
mic black dust was pouring from it which told me that the foam had
disintegrated which a tech at EV confirmed. Tech also said that there is no
washer, that the foam holds theelement in place and that without the foam
the element could be damaged. The EV quote was somewhere between $70 and
$220 depending on whether the element needs to be refurbished or replaced.

The guy who sold me the mic is willing to work with me on this but thought
EV price was way too high, so I offered to get a quote locally.

The sad thing is that EV originally sold those mikes with a lifetime
warranty, and until a year or two ago was honoring it on even the oldest
mikes.

If you're in Pasadena it won't _hurt_ to take it by AEA, and even if
they won't touch it, it's still worth the trip.