Harry Putnam

Default Behringer vmx1000 connections to receiver

This may belong in rec.audio.misc but when I googled for Behringer in
google groups nearly all hits were here, none were at rec.audio.misc.
And please bear with my windbaggery... I wasn't sure what all to
include.

To summarize my query:

Connecting the Behringer mixer into my (very amateur) home
computer/sound setup.

The aim is to connect mixer out to a panasonic SA-XR25
receiver/amp. I need to hear from someone who knows just how that
should be done.

My reading of the Behrenger manual indicates it would require
adapting Main 1 out which is XLR to one of the RCA inputs in the
receiver/amp.

Details:
Find pics of behringer controls from the manual with
annotation he

http://www.jtan.com/~reader/exp/web_ready/dispimg.cgi
(Note: These are huge for visibility so may load slowly)

My Manual seems to indicate the best connection would be: Main out
(XLR) = Receiver in (RCA) But before I concoct some kind of adapter
or go looking for one. And especially before I `homeboy' this to
death and ruin something, I want to know if I'm going in the wrong
direction.

Currently I'm using:
Behringer TAPE out (rca) = Receiver/amp CD in(rca).
Connected this way requires volume to be cranked up a bit as compared
to bypassing the mixer and going straight to receiver/amp. And
introduces an audible level of low hum.

Another way I tried is using the Behringer Main2 out which is RCA to
reciever cd in (also RCA) gives me weak volume. That is, when
connected that way I need to turn the volume up alot to get the same
effect as bypassing the mixer. And this also introduces low hum but
worse.

So what needs to be done here to get as clean a connection as possible
but still include the mixer?

Do I need a special ground to stop the hum?
(wall plug is 3 prong with ground)

Are there adapters to go from XLRout to RCAin?
Is that wise?
( I want to be able to mix several computers sound output along with
mics tape etc)