Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versus car

To JBI:

May I recommend to you the current (March) issue of Recording magazine? The issue's focus is on monitoring, and it's got several articles you might find valuable. Better hurry; the April issue will hit the stands any day now.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Replacing a Car Radio

On 16/03/2018 9:35 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

One thing you'll notice if you look at the video (even just long enough
to see what the dashboard looks like) is that the radio is in a 2-unit
high panel space with most of the controls in the space below the
display. All of the replacement radios that I looked at were 1-space
high with all the controls scrunched up into one space.

In my partner's car ( a Toyota Opa around 2000ish) i just replaced the
original Radio/Cassette/CD ,that had decided to wind the level (Volume
for Mr T) up to full and subsequently only the Power button worked, with
an updated model with Aux input. Got a used one for NZ$28 (about US$20).
It was equally a 2 DIN unit jobbie, and has more comprehensive EQ than
the old (treb/bass).

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 03/16/2018 12:04 AM, geoff wrote:
On 16/03/2018 9:58 AM, JBI wrote:

I think if I ever got into this business for anyone other than myself,
the first thing I'd go for is Pro Tools, no ifs, ands, or buts! That
and some Cedar modules to go along with it.

Much better things around than SlowTools.

geoff

Such as?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"JBI":
On 16/03/2018 9:58 AM, JBI wrote:

I think if I ever got into this business for anyone other than myself,
the first thing I'd go for is Pro Tools, no ifs, ands, or buts! That and
some Cedar modules to go along with it.

Much better things around than SlowTools.

geoff

Such as?

Pretty much any DAW software around:
for example...
Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude, Sonar, even Logic

ContraTools was the first with big marketing, which does not always coincide
with good quality products...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"JBI":
On 16/03/2018 9:58 AM, JBI wrote:

I think if I ever got into this business for anyone other than
myself, the first thing I'd go for is Pro Tools, no ifs, ands, or
buts! That and some Cedar modules to go along with it.

Much better things around than SlowTools.

geoff

Such as?

Pretty much any DAW software around:
for example...
Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude, Sonar, even Logic

ContraTools was the first with big marketing, which does not always
coincide with good quality products...

Although it is doubtlessly the equal of any other comparable DAW
software, and better than many, I resent ProTools because it achieved
its status by being early on the scene, then cynically (a lá Apple)
locking its users exclusively into their own hardware and software at
escalated cost.

Me ? I use Sonic Foundry, ooops Sony, ooops Magix Vegas Pro, Acid
ProSound Forge, CD Architect, and Cocos REAPER.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Phil W wrote:

ContraTools was the first with big marketing, which does not always coincide
with good quality products...

The problem is that it's now entrenched. So people want ProTools files
of their project in the same way they used to want 24-track 2" tapes.
It wasn't the sound quality or the ease of use, it was that they could walk
into any studio and drop it down and pick up where they left off last session
without having to worry about importing or exporting.

The good news is that now that they are using 32-bit floats internally, it's
at least bit-for-bit true if you turn all the processing off. Earlier versions
of Pro Tools were not, making it pretty much intolerable for classical work.
The UI is still horrible, but at least you can be sure what comes out is what
goes in if you don't do anything specifically to it.