Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default ok, what about a monitor speaker (or two)... UPDATE

The first PreSonus Eris E5 speaker arrived today. Nothing else has come
yet, but that didn't stop me from hooking up to my desktop. The desktop
has an Audiophile 2496 card so I just used an RCA cable from one of the
channels into the RCA input on the speaker.

First thing I discovered is that I either better proceed very cautiously
or wait for the Behringer unit to arrive so I can regulate volume.
There's too many different audio level settings (one for media player,
another for my DAW, etc, etc) so that I had a jump or two when using
certain programs. For now, I've just decreased the master volume in the
sound card software.

I did experiment a bit though and I can definitely now hear the highs
and lows in mixes without any trouble. I was skeptical at first as the
speakers surprised me as to how small they are, but they definitely work
well. I now more fully realize just *how much* equalization I add in
the car and should now be able to better accurately judge mix balance.
I may even be able to set up an EQ setting on my DAW output fairly
closely matching the car EQ settings. I've tried this in the past with
the headphones, but bass and treble accuracy were always issues. Now I
think it will be easier.

The sound the speaker produces seems accurate enough that I might bring
out my keyboard, hook it up to the 2496, and have a little fun. I
haven't done this in years since getting rid of my former cheap speakers.

Will update as the rest of the items arrive.....

JBI

On 02/22/2018 03:42 PM, JBI wrote:
My car environment just isn't working out all that well.Â* There's even
differences between the laptop output and the output from the MP3 player
(no surprise really as I already knew this).Â* So.... I am starting to
consider some sort of monitoring in house.

I don't have much space in my home and what space I do have is limited.
The most convenient room, which is where I happen to be now, is about
15x15 feet I'd say with a large desk along one wall and a file cabinet
next to that and a running aquarium against another wall.Â* My rocking
recliner, which is where I sit is located near one of the corners and I
face toward the center of the room.Â* Behind me is a 4 foot high dresser
to the back right of the chair and then a wooden cabinet with various
bowls right behind me.Â* The floor is carpeted with a thin, cheap rug and
the walls are either wooden paneling or plaster.Â* The ceiling is flat,
painted plaster.Â* I've tried to explain the type and contents of the
room because I want to ask what monitor speaker I might be able to use
and where might I place it (or them if a pair)?

I was doing some googling and came across some monitors that already
have built in amps or are bluetooth enabled.Â* I'd really like to be able
to use them with my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.Â* The laptop has only the
built in generic card.Â* The monitors I'm looking at seem pretty
expensive, however, but perhaps I'd be able to find suggested ones used.

So, rather than continuing to mix in the car with poor results, I'm
willing to try the house but only if I can get somewhat of a decent set
up at not much cost.Â* Budget is limited.Â* I like the idea of built in
speaker amps, that might or might not save.Â* I'm guessing some sort of
bluetooth adapter for my laptop and then a direct wireless connection to
those types of monitors(?).Â* Anyway, suggestions for not too expensive
speakers welcome along with proper placement in this room.

Thanks,
JBL

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

While I'm waiting around for the 2nd speaker and the Behringer, I am
having issues with the laptop 1/8" audio out and into the Eris speaker.
Basically, much buzz and hum. I am going to assume that once the
balanced cable arrives and I can use it with the Behringer, that will be
solved as I suspect this is ground loop trouble. It's only happening
with the laptop and speaker and not the desktop using the Audiophile
2496 output to speaker. I had the same issue with the laptop in the car
a while back when the laptop was powered via a 12V to 120V inverter.
I've been tempted to get an audio ground loop isolator, but I'm
concerned about that affecting audio frequency response. Another option
is to build a diode/ resistor circuit in series with the 120 VAC ground.
I may do that and plug the laptop into that circuit to see if that
negates the noise in the speaker. Thoughts?

On 02/27/2018 07:20 PM, JBI wrote:
The first PreSonus Eris E5 speaker arrived today.Â* Nothing else has come
yet, but that didn't stop me from hooking up to my desktop.Â* The desktop
has an Audiophile 2496 card so I just used an RCA cable from one of the
channels into the RCA input on the speaker.

First thing I discovered is that I either better proceed very cautiously
or wait for the Behringer unit to arrive so I can regulate volume.
There's too many different audio level settings (one for media player,
another for my DAW, etc, etc) so that I had a jump or two when using
certain programs.Â* For now, I've just decreased the master volume in the
sound card software.

I did experiment a bit though and I can definitely now hear the highs
and lows in mixes without any trouble.Â* I was skeptical at first as the
speakers surprised me as to how small they are, but they definitely work
well.Â* I now more fully realize just *how much* equalization I add in
the car and should now be able to better accurately judge mix balance. I
may even be able to set up an EQ setting on my DAW output fairly closely
matching the car EQ settings.Â* I've tried this in the past with the
headphones, but bass and treble accuracy were always issues.Â* Now I
think it will be easier.

The sound the speaker produces seems accurate enough that I might bring
out my keyboard, hook it up to the 2496, and have a little fun.Â* I
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Are you having the hum problem with the laptop connected to a supply/charger, or is it on battery? Some laptops are notorious for ground loop problems when they're on the wall-wart, but work fine untethered.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 02/27/2018 11:38 PM, PStamler wrote:
Are you having the hum problem with the laptop connected to a supply/charger, or is it on battery? Some laptops are notorious for ground loop problems when they're on the wall-wart, but work fine untethered.

I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series with
AC ground. Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about possibly
negating audio if I had gone that route.

The laptop is connected to the power supply, yes, and that is the source
of noise. On battery, no noise, so that's how I knew it was the power
supply.

I'm sure the balanced cables along with box that's coming would have
taken care of the noise anyway, but I wanted to try this other way
anyway.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/02/2018 4:57 PM, JBI wrote:
While I'm waiting around for the 2nd speaker and the Behringer, I am
having issues with the laptop 1/8" audio out and into the Eris speaker.
Basically, much buzz and hum.Â* I am going to assume that once the
balanced cable arrives and I can use it with the Behringer, that will be
solved as I suspect this is ground loop trouble.Â* It's only happening
with the laptop and speaker and not the desktop using the Audiophile
2496 output to speaker.Â* I had the same issue with the laptop in the car
a while back when the laptop was powered via a 12V to 120V inverter.
I've been tempted to get an audio ground loop isolator, but I'm
concerned about that affecting audio frequency response.Â* Another option
is to build a diode/ resistor circuit in series with the 120 VAC ground.
Â*I may do that and plug the laptop into that circuit to see if that
negates the noise in the speaker.Â* Thoughts?

Sometimes noise from the (SMPS) laptop power supply infects the audio
circuits. I've even had it USB-power-borne on an interface (USB Transit
USB). But it was the laptop PSU, not the Transit at fault - fine on
batteries.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/28/2018 1:05 AM, JBI wrote:
I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series with
AC ground.Â* Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about possibly
negating audio if I had gone that route.

Your hum problem is fairly common and it's caused by hum on the ground
of the computer being carried to the speaker through the cable shield.
What is this magic circuit? I have a little sealed plastic lump from
Ebtec called "Hum-X" that appears to have a couple of diodes in it that
sometimes solves this problem.

I'm sure the balanced cables along with box that's coming would have
taken care of the noise anyway, but I wanted to try this other way anyway.

Balanced cables reduce the effect of noise induced in the cable, not hum
that's carried through the ground. With balanced, shielded wiring,
however, you have the option of disconnecting the shield at one end in
order to break the ground path. That's easy to do if you make the
cables, but not so simple if you're buying pre-assembled cables with
molded-on connectors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 02/28/2018 07:14 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/28/2018 1:05 AM, JBI wrote:
I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series
with AC ground.Â* Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about
possibly negating audio if I had gone that route.

Your hum problem is fairly common and it's caused by hum on the ground
of the computer being carried to the speaker through the cable shield.
What is this magic circuit? I have a little sealed plastic lump from
Ebtec called "Hum-X" that appears to have a couple of diodes in it that
sometimes solves this problem.

There were two possibilities:

http://sound.whsites.net/earthing.htm

http://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/fin...-ground-loops/

While I liked the first link above best mainly because the author goes
to great extremes regarding safety, I went with the second because
that's what I had in the junk box. There are variations of the 2nd link
around the web, many of which use a resistor instead of the capacitor,
but the article was written by an actual engineer (Novacek) and thus I
felt more confident in the capacitor circuit.

While I simply could have used a "cheater plug" and this would have
worked, I thought I'd take the extra step from a safety perspective.

I've no problem bringing out the soldering iron when the need arises. I
should mention "Heathkit" if anyone remembers them. I started building
their kits when I was 11 years old. I just don't have much time anymore
with work and life and the audio projects a "hobby". Heck, there used
to actually be a firm that catered to audio circuit building, and I mean
really *good* audio circuits, called Davisound out of one of the
Carolinas. Davis himself custom built a great many mixers, amps, and
other assorted pro audio equipment. He would sell plans for whatever
your desire in audio with many of the circuits he designed himself.

Oh well, enough rambling, you've been more than helpful in this thread
so thought I'd expand a bit with my answer this time.

JBI

I'm sure the balanced cables along with box that's coming would have
taken care of the noise anyway, but I wanted to try this other way
anyway.

Balanced cables reduce the effect of noise induced in the cable, not hum
that's carried through the ground. With balanced, shielded wiring,
however, you have the option of disconnecting the shield at one end in
order to break the ground path. That's easy to do if you make the
cables, but not so simple if you're buying pre-assembled cables with
molded-on connectors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series with
AC ground. Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about possibly
negating audio if I had gone that route.

do you have a link to that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 1/03/2018 1:14 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/28/2018 1:05 AM, JBI wrote:
I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series
with AC ground.Â* Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about
possibly negating audio if I had gone that route.

Your hum problem is fairly common and it's caused by hum on the ground
of the computer being carried to the speaker through the cable shield.
What is this magic circuit? I have a little sealed plastic lump from
Ebtec called "Hum-X" that appears to have a couple of diodes in it that
sometimes solves this problem.

Or are he speakers double-insulated (2-pin'figure-8' or IEC mains
socket, rather that 3-pin IEC), with no other ground in the system,
hence no loop ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/28/2018 11:33 AM, JBI wrote:
What is this magic circuit? I have a little sealed plastic lump from
Ebtec called "Hum-X" that appears to have a couple of diodes in it
that sometimes solves this problem.

There were two possibilities:
http://sound.whsites.net/earthing.htm
http://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/fin...-ground-loops/

That's the essence of what a "black box" analysis of the Ebtech Hum-X
has inside. Glad it worked out for you. It's a cheap fix, and, as you
say, safer than lifting the safety ground wire. When I'm troubleshooting
a noise problem like this, I usually go for the ground lift adapter
first. If that solves the problem, then I'll look for a better solution,
and if it doesn't solve the problem, I'll know to look elsewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/28/2018 1:05 AM, JBI wrote:
I just got done building a hum reducer circuit that goes in series
with AC ground.Â* Works like a charm and I don't have to worry about
possibly negating audio if I had gone that route.

Your hum problem is fairly common and it's caused by hum on the ground
of the computer being carried to the speaker through the cable shield.
What is this magic circuit? I have a little sealed plastic lump from
Ebtec called "Hum-X" that appears to have a couple of diodes in it
that sometimes solves this problem.

There were two possibilities:

http://sound.whsites.net/earthing.htm

http://circuitcellar.com/cc-blog/fin...-ground-loops/

just as well you are in 110v land. Would be incredibly illegal in
220/230v countries that require higher standards. As would be a
ground-lift adapter.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

The Behringer unit arrived today along with the proper balanced 1/4" TRS
cables. The unit installed easily under Win 7 and it is so far
performing excellently. It was a B&H return, so got it for roughly half
price.

I decided to switch out laptop power supplies once the speakers had been
rerouted with the new 1/4" cables. The other laptop supply didn't have
the ground loop circuit in place like I posted earlier in the week. The
result: no noise! I read about noise plaguing people all the time and
then you find out they are trying to use unbalanced RCA or other cables.
While the circuit I posted will do wonders, it appears that a balanced
cable will too!

That was a scare to me that was posted about the speaker fuse issue, but
I really like how they are performing. I can especially hear all the
missing bass and treble when trying to mix in the car or on the
headphones. I'm going to keep the speakers.

JBI

On 02/28/2018 05:26 AM, geoff wrote:
On 28/02/2018 4:57 PM, JBI wrote:
While I'm waiting around for the 2nd speaker and the Behringer, I am
having issues with the laptop 1/8" audio out and into the Eris
speaker. Basically, much buzz and hum.Â* I am going to assume that once
the balanced cable arrives and I can use it with the Behringer, that
will be solved as I suspect this is ground loop trouble.Â* It's only
happening with the laptop and speaker and not the desktop using the
Audiophile 2496 output to speaker.Â* I had the same issue with the
laptop in the car a while back when the laptop was powered via a 12V
to 120V inverter. I've been tempted to get an audio ground loop
isolator, but I'm concerned about that affecting audio frequency
response.Â* Another option is to build a diode/ resistor circuit in
series with the 120 VAC ground. Â*Â*I may do that and plug the laptop
into that circuit to see if that negates the noise in the speaker.
Thoughts?

Sometimes noise from the (SMPS) laptop power supply infects the audio
circuits.Â* I've even had it USB-power-borne on an interface (USB Transit
USB).Â* But it was the laptop PSU, not the Transit at fault - fine on
batteries.

geoff