William J.

Default taming cymbals while compressing drums?

Hi All-
I am trying to run a subgroup of all my drums tracks (snare, kick
2 overhead, 2 toms) through a compressor in Cubase SX, and while I
like how it makes the drums sound, it makes the cymbals very
overbearing. How do I go about getting that compressed room sound on
the drums, but not make the cymbals take your head off? Thanks for any
suggestions!
William J.
knud

Hi All-
I am trying to run a subgroup of all my drums tracks (snare, kick
2 overhead, 2 toms) through a compressor in Cubase SX, and while I
like how it makes the drums sound, it makes the cymbals very
overbearing. How do I go about getting that compressed room sound on
the drums, but not make the cymbals take your head off? Thanks for any
suggestions!

Easy, turn the other drums up or turn the cymbals down. Or don't include
the cymbals in the submix at all.

blahblah
ALL MUSIC IS ORIGINAL...
EVEN IF ONLY ONE NOTE IS CHANGED!
EVERYONE CREATES IN A VACUUM!

Scott Dorsey

William J. wrote:
I am trying to run a subgroup of all my drums tracks (snare, kick
2 overhead, 2 toms) through a compressor in Cubase SX, and while I
like how it makes the drums sound, it makes the cymbals very
overbearing. How do I go about getting that compressed room sound on
the drums, but not make the cymbals take your head off? Thanks for any
suggestions!

Get a bigger room, pull the overheads back, and drop them down a little.

John L Rice

"William J." wrote in message
Hi All-
I am trying to run a subgroup of all my drums tracks (snare, kick
2 overhead, 2 toms) through a compressor in Cubase SX, and while I
like how it makes the drums sound, it makes the cymbals very
overbearing. How do I go about getting that compressed room sound on
the drums, but not make the cymbals take your head off? Thanks for any
suggestions!
William J.

Hi William,

Short of rerecording the drums you might try making a copy of the two
overhead tracks, rolling off the top end somewhat and then mixing those in
with the snare, kick and toms tracks. Don't mix the original overhead
tracks though the compressor but mix some in uncompressed or through another
more subtle compressor.

Try subtle EQ levels on the overhead copies at first. EQing heavily may
make things sound bad.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

ScotFraser

A multiband compressor on the drum subgroup can tame the cymbals if you're
looking for a real compressed sound. Just compress the frequency band containg
the cymbals more than the other bands.

Scott Fraser