DaveDrummer

Default Help with revox B77

My revox B77 records very softly. The signal going in is via the AUX inputs
and is very loud/strong, but when played back its very weak. the input gain
is way up high. please help!

Dave

Phil Allison

"DaveDrummer"

My revox B77 records very softly. The signal going in is via the AUX

inputs
and is very loud/strong, but when played back its very weak. the input

gain
is way up high. please help!

** Tried cleaning the heads ??

.......... Phil

Paul Stamler

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message
My revox B77 records very softly. The signal going in is via the AUX

inputs
and is very loud/strong, but when played back its very weak. the input

gain
is way up high. please help!

Have you done a complete alignment on it? One step is to adjust the playback
level pots, inside (actually through the bottom plate). Another is to adjust
the bias and record drive, both of which affect the level recorded on tape.
First, of course, as Phil suggests, clean the heads. Isopropyl alcohol on a
Q-tip; if you don't have any isopropyl, vodka will do.

Peace,
Paul

Richard Crowley

"DaveDrummer" wrote ...
cleaned the heads a few times guys, and it sounded much much better. I

also
checked for that internal thing but I couldnt find it. I did adjust the

VUs

Unless you used a calibration tape to adjust the VUs, that may
very well be the SOURCE of your problem. You may have
adjusted them too sensitive!

Paul Stamler

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message
cleaned the heads a few times guys, and it sounded much much better. I

also
checked for that internal thing but I couldnt find it. I did adjust the

VUs
tho.

Remove the deck from its case and lay it on its back. On what used to be the
bottom but is now facing you, you'll find holes with pots behind them. The
Repro controls do playback level.

Peace,
Paul

Don Cooper

I did adjust the VUs

Unless you used a calibration tape to adjust the VUs, that may
very well be the SOURCE of your problem. You may have
adjusted them too sensitive!

Exactly, and without an alignment tape to do playback first, upon what
did you base your adjustment.

I see you went with a B77. Last I saw, you were searching for that
"analog warmth".

Don

Scott Dorsey

DaveDrummer wrote:
My revox B77 records very softly. The signal going in is via the AUX inputs
and is very loud/strong, but when played back its very weak. the input gain
is way up high. please help!

What reference level is it aligned for?
What tape are you using?
When you did the alignment, did you use the onboard meters or did you use
external meters? The B77 metering isn't so hot and it can be handy to use
outboard VU meters for the weekly alignment.

DaveDrummer

the meters seem acurate to me. also on recording level, the level coming out
is about the same as its going in so I assume that is correct. it sounds
great too. The VUs will need adjusting anyway, as one was completely turned
off when it arrived, but at least now they both work. Plus im just bouncing
mixes to and from it, and to my ears it soudns fine. And yes, it was aligned
by a pro

Dave

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
DaveDrummer wrote:
My revox B77 records very softly. The signal going in is via the AUX

inputs
and is very loud/strong, but when played back its very weak. the input

gain
is way up high. please help!

What reference level is it aligned for?
What tape are you using?
When you did the alignment, did you use the onboard meters or did you use
external meters? The B77 metering isn't so hot and it can be handy to use
outboard VU meters for the weekly alignment.

Scott Dorsey

DaveDrummer wrote:
the meters seem acurate to me. also on recording level, the level coming out
is about the same as its going in so I assume that is correct. it sounds
great too. The VUs will need adjusting anyway, as one was completely turned
off when it arrived, but at least now they both work. Plus im just bouncing
mixes to and from it, and to my ears it soudns fine. And yes, it was aligned
by a pro

Yes, but what level did he align it for and for what tape? When he did
the alignment, did he use the internal meters?