normanstrong

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 9 Dec 2004 01:09:34 GMT, wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:

Lots of audiophiles apparently believe
in the garbage-in-garbage-out theory, which holds that

the
speakers
are
the LEAST important link in the chain. (This theory was

first
propounded by a turntable manufacturer, I believe.)

Linn, to be exact. And that was 25 years ago. Once again,

you give
no
credit to the average audiophile to have educated himself

since
then.

I don't know who the average audiophile is, or how many of

them there
are. I do know that this argument is made with some frequency

on other
discussion boards.

Strictly speaking, it was coined in nthe computer industry,

Linn just
picked it up in order to sell expensive turntables. While the

theory
is of course true, and hence is a fair argument poer se, a

false
financial implication is often made by so-called 'high

enders'.

Unless you are still using vinyl, the reality is that there is

no
system budget implication in GIGO, since top-class input

signals all
the way to your speaker terminals may be obtained for less

than
$1,000. Certainly, it makes no sonic sense to spend more than

$1,000
on the source component, when absolutely state of the art

'universal'
players from Denon and Pioneer cost less than this.

Except for the inconvenient fact that many high end reviewers

don't
consider
them state-of-the-art CD players. Whether this perception is

accurate
or
not I personally don't know.

You would find that your pursuit of accurate audio reproduction

is
significantly hindered if you placed faith on "high-end" reviews.

The
endorsements we have seen on the WAVAC amp, the cables, the

stones, the
green pens should have pointed to you that the emperor wears no

clothes,
most of the time.

Read those subjective reviews for entertainment, not for

technical
accuracy. Whether the high-end reviewer considered a piece of

gear
state-of-the-art is of absolutely no concen to anyone interested

in the
pursuit of accurate audio reproduction, i.e., hi-fi.

It is reason enough to pause and listen for yourself. That's all.

Rather
than blindly accept Stewart's judgment (let's face it, when you

call
something "state-of-the-art" you are making a judgment, even if

basing it on
measurements. And frankly, high-end equipment has to be evaluated

on sound
as well as measurement. So unless Stewart is prepared to publish

peer-reviewed dbt of these two units versus say the Levinson

combo, or the
Linn player, or the new UA universal, then it is simply his

opinion..one
among many, many of whom do not agree.

Well, you seem to think that the high-end reviews carry a lot more
weight. As you put it, you felt it was "inconvenient" to rate a

piece of
gear highly if the high-end reviewers don't consider it
state-of-the-art. My point is that as far as opinions go, the

high-end
reviewers are often not to be trusted at all, and you're better off
discarding the subjective reviews from Stereophile altogether. In

fact,
given what we have read, I would not buy anything Stereophile

reviewers
consider state-of-the-art, simply because it is likely to be way
over-priced with questionable or simply average performance.

Indeed, Stereophile subjective reviews are so worthless that I don't
bother to read them at all. One look at the bench tests tells me all
I need to know. My only regret is that John Atkinson reads the
reviewer's copy before he writes up his comments on the lab tests. It
would be better if he didn't.

If you make a habit of reading both the lab tests and the review, you
will soon begin to wonder if they're talking about the same piece of
equipment. It's clear to me that audio reviewers do not necessarily
prefer an accurate presentation. Quite often they show a preference
for highly distorted and non-linear sound. How else to explain SET
movement?

Norm Strong

normanstrong wrote:
Stereophile subjective reviews are so worthless that I don't
bother to read them at all.

Norman, Norman, break my heart, why don'tcha!

One look at the bench tests tells me all I need to know. My only
regret is that John Atkinson reads the reviewer's copy before he
writes up his comments on the lab tests. It would be better if
he didn't.

Seriously, why do you say that? I think it far more important for my
reviewers _not_ to see the measurements before they write up their
opinions on sound quality, to avoid them "hearing" what they think
they should.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Nousaine

Tom Nousaine ) wrote in message

wrote:
Tom Nousaine of The Sensible Sound, Sound & Vision, and The
Audio Critic wrote:
[Stereophile's "Recommended Components" list] professes that
every recommended component is "highly" recommended and "based
entirely on performance---ie accuracy of reproduction---" and
when performance is questioned in that regard it seems to me that
the editor is disabusing integrity when he later claims that a
product wasn't his 'personal' recommendation and that he actually
has no idea of what it sounds like.

Sigh...if you read Stereophile as thoroughly as you claim, Mr.
Nousaine, you will note that I have written on a number of
occasions, both in the magazine and on the newsgroups, that the
products included in the listing are included because of the
advocacy of one or more of my writing team, not because I
_personally_ recommend them.

So then they are "highly recommended" but you will not stand
behind them when they are questioned.

Of course I stand behind those recommendations, both legally and
intellectually. I have said so both in the magazine and on the
newsgroups. But I see no reason to take part in tests of my
abilities to hear differences imparted by such products when I
personally have no opinion on or experiene of them. Particularly
when the challenge to do so is issued by someone like the Amazing
Randi whom, it has been documented, has admitted faking the test
data for other tests.

Admitted "faking the test data for other tests"? I didn't see that admission,
but then I'm only peripherally engaged in this controversy.

Particularly when the challenge has been
issued by someone who has misrepresented what I have said and
done, misattributed me with things I never wrote, refused to
publish corrections, then gone back on his word that he was not
going to publish anything more on a subject that he felt his
readers were "weary" of.

This argument seems to be a pot-kettle tempest. Would it be simpler just to
verify that small hard objects placed in a room actually have a perceptually
audible effect?

Given a game involving such a loaded dice, Mr. Nousaine, you
appear to want to discount that inconvenient fact.

I do think that you are right the dice ARE loaded against you because there is
no reason to believe that something like the Stones would have an audible
effect.

This is very reason that no high-end manufacturer, distributor, salesman,
journalist or enthusiast has ever published a replicable experiment showing
that non-acoustic accessories, wires, cables
or bits have any sound of their won.

And as I have pointed out to you now repeatedly, by you
insisting that only products _I_ have experienced should be
recommended in Stereophile, you appear to want to hold me to
a higher standard than the editors of the magazines to which you
contribute. I have direct experience of a greater proportion of
the products reviewed in my magazine that do the editors of the
magazines for which you write, yet that is not sufficient for
you.

I'm not holding you to any special standard.

Excuse me? You are indeed asking me to to adhere to a more rigorous
standard than any of the editors for whom _you_ work, Mr. Nousaine.

No actually this is not true. To the best of my knowledge none of the Editors
to which I submit copy has ever published a recommendation of products that
would seem to have zero probability of having an electrical or acoustical
effect on sound in a listening room. If I"ve overlooked some if you'll tell me
what I'll be more than happy to write a letter of complaint.

Please don't insult my intelligence by denying the obvious.

One can't insult something that isn't in evidence :-)

I've merely asked why you hadn't bothered to chase down more of
the recommended accessory products because they are all highly
[recommended] and so many of them offer specific sound quality
improvements.

Because it is as impractical for me to do so with _every_ product
as it is for the editors of the magazines for which you work, Mr.
Nousaine. If you make that request of me, you are obliged to make
that request of them also, surely?

OK, how about even "some" of the ones that have no apparent path for signal or
acoustical modification? I've never suggested that one must verify every
recommended product. But there are some that have so little possibility of
changing or affecting sound as delivered to the listener that I think that you
would consider some validation.

Of course, if you personally aren't even interested so be it. But then that
seems to beg thge question that IF a Stone, stand or wire actually does improve
sound quality I wonder why you haven't personally pursued the improvements
yourself.

That you haven't personally tried them all isn't an issue.

Again, Mr. Nousaine, a literal wording of your comments gives
people the opposite impression. If I haven't "personally tried
them" is not the issue, as you now state, why have you been
insisting that I do so in the case of the Shakti Stones?

Because it seems that there would be no possible electrical or acoustic
mechanism for them to influence sound quality. I think your backing-off this
issue strongly suggests that you either have discounted this possible
'improvement' in advance or you are simply not truly interested in maximizing
sound quality in your own environment. What others reasons could there be ...
after all the improvement was discovered nearly a decade ago....?

What is an issue is that you'll publish a positive assessment of
what appears to be an extraordinary or even an unusual one and
then walk away from it by claiming agnosticism.

As I have explained to you repeatedly, Mr. Nousaine, this is only
an issue if you regard the Shakti Stones, if they have an effect
on sound quality, as having one that is "extraordinary" or "unusual."
You appear to think that's the case, I don't. Shouldn't that be the
end of story?

You mean that it isn't? After all you have shown that you have no intention in
validating the acoustical implications of seemingly impossible effects.

Unless you wish the editorial decisions of magazines
other than your own to be submitted to you for your approval?

Of course not. If you were to stop printing recommendations of products that
have no physical sound associated with them on the basis of "accuracy of
reproduced sound" the loss of this audio poetry would significantly reduce the
audio humor available.

If you think that telling the truth is censorship then I'm all
for it :-)

As has been pointed out, Mr Nousaine, your "truth" is another's
opinion. This is a very revealing statement of yours, smiley
emoticon or not.

I'd say that sound quality truth is often lacking in Stereophile's lexicon.

Actually none of this is "my" truth.

No, Mr. Nousaine, none of this is your "truth," which is why I put
the word in quotes. Instead they are your _opinions_. It seems to me
that you are claiming a special status for your opinions, ie, that
they be unquestioned truth, as in your next comment:

Actually it is NOT my opinion that no one has ever published replicable
evidence that a nominally competent amplifier, cable or bit-related modern
device has an import on sound quality.

It is NOT my opinion to say that nominally competent capacitors of any
dialectric or speaker stands have never been shown to have a perceptually
audible impact on a sound system in a normally reverberant environment.

These are facts and your opinion does not change them UNTIL you show under
biased controlled conditions that they do.

I refer to sound quality aspects that have been verified as to
having a known effect on acoustical performance and those which
have been merely speculated as having sonic impact but never
verified as having such.

What specific sound quality aspect of the Shakti Stone are you
referring to as being "verified," Mr. Nousaine, and which have
not been "verified"? When did _you_ try the Shakti devices, in
order to be so sure of their effect?

It's not my responsibility to prove that the Stones have no sonic impact ....
indeed it is your responsibility to show they do.

You seem to assume that every opinion must be accepted as audio
truth just you and your staff says so.

Again I ask you not to put words in my mouth, Mr. Nousaine, as
hard as it may be for you not to do so. I have repeatedly stated
that the opinions published in Stereophile are just that, _opinions_,
to be considered on their own merits or lack thereof. This is why,
for example, you find _opposing_ opinions in the pages of Stereophile.
I try to publish both sides of the story.

OK Ithink we're in agreement here. Opinion in Stereophile, uninformed or
otherwise, even those which could be, will not be validated but live on as
opinionsand should notbe considered as anything other than audio legend.

In the case of the Shakti
Stones, I published reviews by both one of my more extreme
subjectivists and by one of my contributors who is an extreme
skeptic. THey agreed on the product's merits. What more needed to
be done?

Validation that any of those opinions are more than opinions but ones for which
there is a corresponding acoustical effect and not just a function of the Good
Old Boys Club.

I'm actually quite uncertain as to how you think [The Sensible
Sound] censors anything. There are plenty of statements and
opinions made there from other contributors that I think are
questionable. But [it's] refreshing that they WON'T censor my
contributions even when I say unpopular things.

That reflects well on Karl Nehring, Mr. Nousaine. I am sorry
you don't wish to extend to me the same liberty for which you
compliment Mr. Nehring regarding the opinions that are published
in Stereophile.

I have no power to extend you any liberty. You have no need for
my approval. And I don't require yours when expressing my opinion
and describing what I see in print.

Please don't play with semantics, Mr. Nousaine. You stated that the
editor of The Sensible Sound does not censor either what you write or
what contributors who disagree with you write. Thus Karl Nehring does,
in my opinion, a good job at allowing his contributors the freedom to
express their opinions regardless of his _own_ beliefs. Yet this whole
debate has centered around your objections to me practicing an
identical editorial policy.

I'm not objecting to your policy. I'm just pointing out that many of the
opinions contained in your magazine are most likely simply a function of
personal bias and, in truth, are unlikely to have an acoustical cause. And
that in many cases your opinions would be more convincing if you set about
showing that they did.

All I am saying is that if your criticisms of me are correct, then you
must also criticize your own editors on the same grounds. That you will
not do so gives the lie to your argument, Mr. Nousaine. You are merely
just another partisan player.

Ah....but one who has tested many of those ill-formed opinions found in your
magazine and found them lacking in acoustcal cause. And,of course,I'm not the
only person who has conducted experimentation on sound quality and found
likewise.

But as I have said, you are hardly a disinterested party in
this debate.

So what? My subscription was paid for with the same color money as
any other subsciber and there wasn't a "no opinion" clause written
on the credit card slip.

I am suggesting that your refusal to criticize your own editors for
the same policies that you find objectionable in Stereophile stems
from your inability to be disinterested when you write about
magazines for which you _don't_ work, Mr. Nousaine. Couldn't be
much clearer than that.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

What could be more clear than pointing out that my editors generally do not
publish positive 'sound quality' opinions or recommendations on products that
have no mechanism for influencing the sound delivered to a listeners ears.
Besides that's what blind testing is all about; keeping opinion and
preconceived ideas out of sound evaluation.
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
normanstrong wrote:
Stereophile subjective reviews are so worthless that I don't
bother to read them at all.

Norman, Norman, break my heart, why don'tcha!

One look at the bench tests tells me all I need to know. My only
regret is that John Atkinson reads the reviewer's copy before he
writes up his comments on the lab tests. It would be better if
he didn't.

Seriously, why do you say that? I think it far more important for my
reviewers _not_ to see the measurements before they write up their
opinions on sound quality, to avoid them "hearing" what they think
they should.

That's good practice. But he's suggesting the *you* not read
*their* reviews before write up your measurement results...if
that's what you do.

What don't you guys get? His measurements are objective; they can't be
changed by knowing what the subjective reviewer thought. But vice-versa,
and you have a prior influence. Moreover John often does comment on
discrepancies between his measurements and the subjective review, sometimes
suggesting what the reviewer may have been hearing, and sometimes reflecting
puzzlement over a pretty major difference. Give John a break. His
measurements are the best thing going for the general audiophile public
right now, offered in conjunction with the subjective review.

Here's what you don't get, Harry. What Norman said was that Atkinson
should perform his measurements first before reading what the reviewers
said, *and* then provide a technical review or provide comments of the
product based on measurements only. No doubt, he would have been much
more critical of the Wavac amp, for instance. Or the huge differences
claimed between cables.

Harry Lavo wrote:
John often does comment on discrepancies between his measurements
and the subjective review, sometimes suggesting what the reviewer
may have been hearing, and sometimes reflecting puzzlement over a
pretty major difference.

En masse, these discrepancies might provide some insight into what
matters and what doesn't, regarding perceived quality.

Give John a break. His measurements are the best thing going for
the general audiophile public right now, offered in conjunction with
the subjective review.

Thank you, Mr. Lavo. I think people should also note that my review
team doesn't refrain from saying what they think they hear, despite
knowing that the products are subsequently going to be pulled apart
on the test bench. Takes guts to do that, in my opinion.
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Harry Lavo

normanstrong wrote:
[...]

I know what he said. But I don't see what difference it would make...once
John hears what the subjective reveiw is, he then says what he has to say.
In both cases.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Dec 2004 23:36:44 GMT, wrote:
normanstrong wrote:
Stereophile subjective reviews are so worthless that I don't
bother to read them at all.

Norman, Norman, break my heart, why don'tcha!

Always nice to see a measured and thoughtful reply from the
editor of such an august publication.

My apologies, Norman and Stewart, I forgot Tom Nousaine's
diktat made a while back on r.a.h-e that humor has no place in
audio. :-)

My only regret is that John Atkinson reads the reviewer's
copy before he writes up his comments on the lab tests. It
would be better if he didn't.

Seriously, why do you say that? I think it far more important
for my reviewers _not_ to see the measurements before they
write up their opinions on sound quality, to avoid them
"hearing" what they think they should.

Unfortunate that an editor seems to have difficulty with a clear
English statement. Norman is not suggesting that the reviewers
see the lab tests...

Which is the meaning I took from his words, hence my response
"Why do you say that?" and my statement about what I think "far
more important" than Norman's proposition. I think you took the
opposite meaning from my clumsily underlining of the word "not"
when I should have underlined the word "reviewers." Sorry for
the confusion.

he's suggesting that the lab tests are published with no
reference to the subjective review, thereby frequently
pointing up what trash the subjective guys like Fremer are
spewing.

With respect, Stewart, I think Stsreophile's readers are
perfectly capable of deciding for themselves what they feel
to be trash and what they don't.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
normanstrong

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Imagine this scenario (which is not too far off reality The crime
lab receives a bloody shirt from the victim of a fatal attack. The
police want to know if any of this blood matches the DNA of a suspect.
So they provide the lab with the shirt and a vial of the suspect's
blood. The lab reports that there are traces of the suspect's blood
here and there on the shirt. What would you say? Is this evidence?

Now let's make a slight change. Instead of a vial of the actual
suspect's blood, the detective in charge of the case substitutes a
vial of his own blood, mismarking it as the suspect's. The lab duly
reports that there is, indeed, blood from the suspect on the shirt.
Does this constitute evidence of the detective's guilt?

Norm Strong

S888Wheel

From: (Don Pearce)
Date: 12/15/2004 5:20 PM Pacific Standard Time
On 15 Dec 2004 01:33:50 GMT,
wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:
John often does comment on discrepancies between his measurements
and the subjective review, sometimes suggesting what the reviewer
may have been hearing, and sometimes reflecting puzzlement over a
pretty major difference.

En masse, these discrepancies might provide some insight into what
matters and what doesn't, regarding perceived quality.

Give John a break. His measurements are the best thing going for
the general audiophile public right now, offered in conjunction with
the subjective review.

Thank you, Mr. Lavo. I think people should also note that my review
team doesn't refrain from saying what they think they hear, despite
knowing that the products are subsequently going to be pulled apart
on the test bench. Takes guts to do that, in my opinion.
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

The problem you have here is that this leaves two possibilities:

Only two?

1. You review team has cloth ears, and is hearing stuff that isn't
there - or failing to hear what is.

Funny, I thought you and several others thought this was normal and due to
expectation bias. I didn't know that it meant they had "cloth ears." Are you
impervious to expectation bias or do you also have cloth ears?

2. Your review team is writing what it is "supposed" to write in order
to keep the advertisers coming.

Just what are they "supposed" to write and how do you know?

Either way the credibility of Stereophile is shot. (And yes, I bought
a copy once).