sk8erteck

Default Subwoofer Output Question

(this might be a repost, it never showed up on my ISP's server)

Alright i know that clipping is bad and such, but my subwoofer amp is
constantly clipping and not distorting at all. It isn't even enough to
trigger the 'warning' light on the woofer. When I put the amp in
bridged mode and turn the gain down, the amp doesn't clip but i get
distortion and the warning light on the woofer turns on. The only way
to reduce this is to turn the gain way down, to levels that are not
anywhere near enough or near where it was before the bridge. I've been
running it unbridged with the clipping for about 2 weeks, is this bad?
Why is it clipping but sounding fine? Why does it not sound fine in
bridge mode? Am i damaging the woofer/amp?

Here's what i am working withnot great but it was provided with the gig)
B-52 Band-Pass Subwooofer rated 550 watts
Behringer EP1500, rated 260watts at 8ohms in stereo mode, 800 watts in
bridged mono

Highs + Mids are on another EP1500 hooked up to Peaveys, but that setup
seems to be working fine. As of now there is no crossover, I have the
subwooferamp running off of the booth output of my mixer. A behringer
crossover(i cant remember the model off the top of my head) has been ordered
and should be in this week.

I'd estimate that the woofer is pushing 250+ watts in stereo mode, but
only about 100 in bridged mono without distorting. Since it is rated
550, how can I get more out of it?

thanks in advance

citronzx

"sk8erteck" wrote in message
[...]

Could you explain how you have determined that the amplifier is clipping?
Clipping is a form of distortion. It happens when an amplifier stage is
driven up to and beyond the supply voltage (or current if a current
amplifier). Imagine that you are feeding an amplifier sine wave and
watching the output on an oscilloscope. Well, if all is well you see a sine
wave of larger amplitude on the scope. If the amplifier is clipping the
tops of the waves will be flattened off because the amplifier cannot supply
enough power to form the tops of the peaks; it clips them off.

If a light on the amplifier is telling you that it is clipping the you
should turn it down until the light goes off. If this isn't loud enough
then you should consider getting a more powerful amplifier. A clipping
amplifier probably will not damage the speaker, especially if it is not even
at a level that you consider loud enough. Really, the only was that you are
likely to damage a subwoofer is to drive it too loud and either damage the
voice coil by over heating it or by causing the woofer to move in and out
too far, again with too much power. I have actually seen a melted voice
coil so I know that it can happen.

I am a bit concerned that you say that you are not using a crossover. This
is not an optional device. I'm not really very familiar with musical
instrument equipment but if there is not a crossover built into the woofer
then I would suggest not using it until you have one. Woofers are rugged
and not as susceptible to being damaged by too high of a frequency as a
tweeter is to being driven by too low of one but it sill is not a good idea.

Lucy Explainin

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...
"A clipping amplifier probably will not damage the speaker, especially if it
is not even at a level that you consider loud enough".

Not.

Clipping involves (as you describe) a squaring off of the wave, or a leading
positive and negative DC edge. This WILL cause damage to a loudspeaker in
the form of damage to the voicecoil - and it won't take long to manifest
itself. For this very reason it is SAFER to overdrive a small loudspeaker
with a big amp and keeping the signal clean and non clipped.

Those BehMINGER amps are not really man enough and Ive found them quite fun
run side by side with the likes of Matrix and Crown. "I can't hear it" being
the common comment. So don't trust the rated output. Experience says that if
its clipping and it does not sound loud enough then it's just not man
enough.

Ulrich

"Lucy Explainin" wrote in message

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...
"A clipping amplifier probably will not damage the speaker, especially if

it
is not even at a level that you consider loud enough".

Not.

Clipping involves (as you describe) a squaring off of the wave, or a

leading
positive and negative DC edge. This WILL cause damage to a loudspeaker in
the form of damage to the voicecoil - and it won't take long to manifest
itself. For this very reason it is SAFER to overdrive a small loudspeaker
with a big amp and keeping the signal clean and non clipped.

I do not concur. Clipping isn't bad for voice coils. Being over driven is
bad for voice coils. Tweeters oftten fry, in passive x-over systems, when
clipping is happening. But, it's not the clipping that's doing the damage.
It's simply that the bass clips first, so that excessive gain cranking leads
only to an increase in wattage to the tweeters.

In an active crossed system, lightly clipping the sub amps is inaudible, and
perfectly OK; if you are not, as a result, overdriving your subs.

Ulrich DoD#732
www.dj-ulrich.com
adelphia email addy is never checked, please use URL above.

sk8erteck

I know its clipping based on the clipping light. I'm familar with what you
said, but it sounds better when its clipping versus not clipping in higher
powered mode(bridged mono) at the same sound levels. That doesn't make sense
to me, espesically when i came close to blowing the speaker(warning light on
the speaker came full on) in bridged mode. The output was no louder than
when it is clipping.

I know a crossover is needed, I had one ordered as soon as I got the gig.
There is one built into the woofer, but im thinking that i might get more
power out of the amp with a crossover, since it doesnt have to amplify the
highs + mids. That and it will give me more protection for the Peaveys, a
guest DJ already blew one. (voice coil burnt) We thought that the other one
was blown, but when we went up to look at it, it must have been hit by a
basketball or something because the front grill was bent into the cone.
Pulled the grill off and it sounded fine.

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

sk8erteck

My problem isn's so much that its not loud enough, but that it sounds like
crap when its not clipping.

When it is clipping, it sounds fine.

"Lucy Explainin" wrote in message

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

citronzx

"sk8erteck" wrote in message
My problem isn's so much that its not loud enough, but that it sounds like
crap when its not clipping.

When it is clipping, it sounds fine.

You are right, that does not make any sense! Perhaps there is a protection
circuit in the amp that is somehow creating a pleasant effect.

"Lucy Explainin" wrote in message

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

citronzx

"Lucy Explainin" wrote in message

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...
"A clipping amplifier probably will not damage the speaker, especially if

it
is not even at a level that you consider loud enough".

Not.

Clipping involves (as you describe) a squaring off of the wave, or a

leading
positive and negative DC edge. This WILL cause damage to a loudspeaker in
the form of damage to the voicecoil - and it won't take long to manifest
itself. For this very reason it is SAFER to overdrive a small loudspeaker
with a big amp and keeping the signal clean and non clipped.

I'm not sure why you think that a square wave will do damage to a speaker
but you are wrong. If you have a signal generator try playing a square wave
into a speaker for as long as you like and you will find that it causes no
damage. Think about it, what you are saying is that a coil of wire will be
damaged by an AC signal if the signal varies in a particular way. This is
silly of course as long as the power level is resonable for the speaker.
Oh, and I would like to see you graph a signal where a DC signal has any
sort of "edge." Sorry brother but you seem confused.

Those BehMINGER amps are not really man enough and Ive found them quite

fun
run side by side with the likes of Matrix and Crown. "I can't hear it"

being
the common comment. So don't trust the rated output. Experience says that

if
its clipping and it does not sound loud enough then it's just not man
enough.

Arny Krueger

"Lucy Explainin" wrote in message

"citronzx" wrote in message
link.net...

"A clipping amplifier probably will not damage the speaker,
especially if it is not even at a level that you consider loud
enough".

Not.

Yep.

Clipping involves (as you describe) a squaring off of the wave, or a
leading positive and negative DC edge.

You're talking trash. Seriously. A DC signal by definition can't have an
edge. It holds a steady value, again by definition.

This WILL cause damage to a
loudspeaker in the form of damage to the voicecoil - and it won't
take long to manifest itself.

The voice coils of modern speakers are typically damaged by overheating.
Overheating is caused by the application of too much power. Now, it is true
that a square wave of a given maximum amplitude has more energy or if you
will, heat in it than an equivalent sine wave. However, if you have a music
signal that is squared off so it looks like a square wave, its generally
pretty unlistenable. I

For this very reason it is SAFER to
overdrive a small loudspeaker with a big amp and keeping the signal
clean and non clipped.

Wrong again. The big amp has, surprise surprise, more power. More power can
overheat a voice coil hotter and faster than less power.

Those BehMINGER amps are not really man enough and Vie found them
quite fun run side by side with the likes of Matrix and Crown.

So are you saying that you did a level-matched, time-synched,
bias-controlled comparison of them?

"I can't hear it" being the common comment. So don't trust the rated
output. Experience says that if its clipping and it does not sound
loud enough then it's just not man enough.

Or woman enough, depending on your preferences and perceptions...

Experience shows that clipping makes music sound louder.

megabite

Behringer are not especially rugged, high end, electronics. They will do the
assigned job. I suspect you'll need an external "Active" crossover inline,
just before the amp. That way, you will be able to "Cut" anything above the
desired selected hertz you want to amplify and play perhaps 30 hz.- 300hz.
depending on your woofers rating. I think your Woofer is trying to play the
mid and upper freq's and causing the clip and distortion your talking about.
In spite of any crossover that's "Passive" and internal. Are you inputing
the signal at the subs LFE? (Low Freq. Extension, RCA connector, usually
black or white.)
"sk8erteck" wrote in message
[...]

link.net...