Prydan2k

Default Street Glow Install

You can use basically any switch found at auto stores. Its been awhile
since I had neon on my car and cant remember where I got the 12V power from,
IIRC I ran a seperate line from my fuse block. You could tap off your
cigarette lighter wire if you wanted. Not sure what part of the country you
live in, but if you are up north may wanna look into quick disconnects from
the relay to the bulb. I used to take mine off when the cold weather came
around

Danny

"Greg" wrote in message
i'm planning to hard wire the street glow to my car. the directions say

cut
the cigarette adapter off and wire to to a switch and then to a 12V power
source. What kind of switch would i need to buy? And, what is a 12V power
source? if anyone has installed street glow, can you give me some
tips/comments/etc. Thanks.

Hallraker

"Greg" wrote in message
i'm planning to hard wire the street glow to my car. the directions say

cut
the cigarette adapter off and wire to to a switch and then to a 12V power
source. What kind of switch would i need to buy? And, what is a 12V power
source? if anyone has installed street glow, can you give me some
tips/comments/etc. Thanks.

A 12v power source would be your electrical system. I used a metal
toggle switch, I could probably get the part number but it's a short,
prewired metal switch with a "ball" on the end, and a metal "on/off" plate.
I've seen the switch at most auto parts stores including Pep Boys and
Autozone. Use a fuse. Use a fuse. And oh yeah, use a fuse.

A friend of mine had some neons under his dash about 4-5 years ago, and
recently I found some on a clearance rack at a store and thought, what the
heck. I decided to copy my friend and threw them under the dash, one
tube per side. The installation was as simple as possible, I did it on the
fly and it took less than 20 minutes once I figured out what I was going to
do. The kit came with two tubes, four small screws, and about one square
inch of double-sided tape that I presume was to secure the transformer
somewhere during a permanant install. It also had a lighter adapter which I
immediately cut off, then ripped apart to take out the fuse. I purchased an
inline fuse holder and put the fuse in there so that I wouldn't risk frying
my car if something went wrong.

I figured that with the 2A fuse it came with, it wouldn't draw nearly enough
current for me to trouble myself by going to the fuse box or the battery, so
I decided to use some "T" adapters and tap off of the cigarette lighter
wiring behind the dash. (After all, it came with a lighter plug.) Although
my lighter wiring is only hot when the car is on, I decided to add a switch
as I did for my amp just so I could turn the lights off when needed. I used
crimp connectors for all connections, and ran the positive wire out to the
fuse holder, to the switch, to the positive lead of the lights, then back
around to the other "T" connector on the negative lighter wire. I cut the
tape into four equal pieces and used that to mount the tubes instead of the
included screws, and simply lodged the transformer between two pieces of
plastic inside the center console where I had run all my wiring. Since I'd
put a lot of wires inside the console at this point, I used wire loom on
most of them to keep them from interfering with the parking brake lever and
to give it a neat appearance. My car has (or had) two screws to secure the
console, they were underneath the lid of the armrest storage bin and I used
my rotary tool to grind them out and used them as hidden toggle switch
locations for the lights and for my amp.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope this helps.

-Matt

imcewan

Any car part store and even radio shack sells 12V switches made for
cars. The 12V power source is the battery. You could run a FUSED power
from the battery or you could also splice from the fuse box. Sounds
like you need to do plenty of background googling first, eh?