Posted to rec.audio.pro
karl karl is offline

Default I need a way to stop my computer's noise

I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JohnO JohnO is offline

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

VGA extension cables are widely available online. The thicker the
better, generally. Here's one:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...productID=3236

-John O

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room.

This is normal. Most studios have a machine room adjacent to the control
booth these days, for computers and tape machines.

I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

The video monitor, I assume you mean? If you're only going thirty or
forty feet, you should be fine if you use a good quality cable. Gepco's
custom cable division can make you a good quality cable. Expect to pay
much more than the Wal-Mart junk.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
karl karl is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room.

This is normal. Most studios have a machine room adjacent to the control
booth these days, for computers and tape machines.

I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

The video monitor, I assume you mean? If you're only going thirty or
forty feet, you should be fine if you use a good quality cable. Gepco's
custom cable division can make you a good quality cable. Expect to pay
much more than the Wal-Mart junk.

Thanks for your help. I don't think I'll need one because I'm only
going about 15 or 20 feet.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

The ones that actually buffer the data are expensive, but you may not
need one. There are low capacitance monitor cables that can be run
upwards of 25 feet without serious degradation. It'll be more expensive
than a Chinese off-the-rack monitor cable, but cheaper than one of
those gizmos that transmits the data upeards of 500 feet through
Ethernet cable.

You'll probably also want to extend the keyboard and mouse, but those
are low bandwidth devices and shouldn't have any problems with
extension cables.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
karl karl is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

The ones that actually buffer the data are expensive, but you may not
need one. There are low capacitance monitor cables that can be run
upwards of 25 feet without serious degradation. It'll be more expensive
than a Chinese off-the-rack monitor cable, but cheaper than one of
those gizmos that transmits the data upeards of 500 feet through
Ethernet cable.

You'll probably also want to extend the keyboard and mouse, but those
are low bandwidth devices and shouldn't have any problems with
extension cables.

I just measured and 10 feet would be perfect since the computer is
quite close to the wall where I can go through. I like my current
wireless keyboard and mouse, so I'll continue to use those, I'll just
put a a small extension on the transmitter so that it can be in the
same room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"karl" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike Rivers wrote:
karl wrote:
[...]

I have two computers remoted to a storeroom about 20 feet from my desk. I
run standard SVGA cables to a dual LCD monitor setup with no difficulites.
I also run keyboard and mouse on PS2 extensions with no difficulty. Do it.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffreydesign jeffreydesign is offline

I build custom,specialty computers for rec.studios and while most
studios place their rack-mounted computers in a soundproofed wiring
closet with remote access, in some lower end installations, we build
'quiet' boxes for our machines. You can build your own box that will
work for little out of pocket. You don't have to be a master carpenter,
but you can build a plywood box to put your computer in and line it
with foam, but you MUST have air coming into and out of the box or your
computer *will* overheat. This isn't difficult to do.

Another option is to convert your computer to a 'fanless' computer -
there are power supplies (often the source of the most noise) that use
large heat sinks and 'heat pipe' type CPU/RAM/Video Processor
solutions. There are also water cooling solutions that work very well
without fans. It's cheaper to build a quiet box than to go fanless
however, and if you're demanding a lot from the hardware, I feel a lot
better using something to move a lot of air to keep things cool (even
with water cooling which we frequently use. The heat has to go
somewhere and you don't want it in the studio.)

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] psychodave.thomas@gmail.com is offline

karl wrote:
I have looked at boxes that you put your computer in to stop noise, but
they are very expensive. I was thinking of putting the actual computer
outside the room. I know that you would need something to amplify the
monitor signal though. Are these devices cheap and where can I find
them?

Karl,
I bought one of these: Minicom Mini KVM Extender (0DT23008A) for my DAW
system.
Works OK, the video dithers a bit and there's just bit of latency on
the mouse moves. I paid right at $150.00 for mine. You can probably
get better performance if you spend a bit more.

DaveT

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hugh Verdam Hugh Verdam is offline

Then you should be fine. I have a couple of computers in my little
studio, both on the other side of the wall. I have the same short
cable run you're talking about and it all works very well. And quiet
as a mouse.

On 28 Dec 2006 09:47:59 -0800, "karl"