Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rich[_3_] Rich[_3_] is offline

Default Best mp3 player sound with Grados

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

In article , Rich
wrote:

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes---HOWEVER, my
impression of the Grado 80's is that they are best with a dedicated
headphone amp, otherwise they sound a bit 'flat'.
Do you already have a pair of 80's that you want to use? If not, and you
like the Grado sound, then I suspect that 60's would be better for Ipod
use.
I have 80's and prefer to use my Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds with my Ipod.
Greg
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Rich wrote:
Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

You have to pay attention to the impedence of the headphones.
The ipod can't adequately drive all headphones...even different models in the same
brand. Generally, stay away from low-impedence models for use with ipods.

There's also variation in different ipod models.

Discussion of ipod bench test results

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11019704

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:40:48 -0800, Rich wrote
(in article ):

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

You mean the Grado SR-80 headphones? Grado phones are pretty inefficient
IIRC, but I also believe that Grado sells an iPod specific set of phones that
I KNOW will work with any iPod or Zune.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bates Bates is offline

On Nov 26, 6:40 pm, Rich wrote:
Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

Rich,

I have a pair of SR80s which sound great from my computer or from my
receiver at home but my iPod (Classic) only sounds okay with them.
The iPod will drive them but they lack the oomph they normally have.
Since the SR80s were a bit big anyhow for with my iPod I went back to
my old yet in my opinion still very good Koss Portapros (this is one
case where Koss seemed to get it right). I still prefer my SR80s when
listening to a bigger system but the Portapros are a good bet for the
iPod.

Bates....

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Greg Wormald wrote:
In article , Rich
wrote:

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes

I don't know that they are better or worse than other portable digital
players.

---HOWEVER, my
impression of the Grado 80's is that they are best with a dedicated
headphone amp, otherwise they sound a bit 'flat'.

The Grado SR80s have a specified impedence of 32 ohms at 1 kHz. If they have a simialrly low
impedence at low frequencies, the bass will sound attenuated on an iPod 'Classic' ior a
'Mini'. A safer bet for these would be to use headphones with a high rated impedence e.g ~60
ohms @ 1 kHz.

The ipod Shuffle, on the other hand, may do just fine even with 32 ohm earbuds!

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/pl...playertest.htm

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rich[_3_] Rich[_3_] is offline

On Nov 26, 9:51 pm, Greg Wormald wrote:
In article , Rich
wrote:

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound and can it drive Grado's, say 80s without
an additional amp?
Thanks very much for your help here.

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes---HOWEVER, my
impression of the Grado 80's is that they are best with a dedicated
headphone amp, otherwise they sound a bit 'flat'.
Do you already have a pair of 80's that you want to use? If not, and you
like the Grado sound, then I suspect that 60's would be better for Ipod
use.
I have 80's and prefer to use my Sennheiser CX-300 earbuds with my Ipod.
Greg

No, I use 225s on my system, but I can get 60s for this, thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rich[_3_] Rich[_3_] is offline

On Nov 27, 7:28 pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Greg Wormald wrote:
In article , Rich
wrote:
[...]

Much obliged to all for your responses!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Greg Wormald wrote:

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes

I don't know that they are better or worse
than other portable digital players.

i have some interest in this for myself

which, if any, are as good or better
than an ipod?

bill
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Greg Wormald wrote:

In article , Rich wrote:

Hello. I know very little about these players, I don't want to buy,
sell, audition a box full of them. I would like to ask (since this
group most likely knows this) which player (I don't care about video)
has the best quality sound

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes

i have some interest in this for myself

which current ipod?

i mean, from what little i've seen,
there are more than several of them

tia, bill

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"willbill" wrote in message

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Greg Wormald wrote:

I know that the Ipods regularly win in the sound stakes

I don't know that they are better or worse
than other portable digital players.

i have some interest in this for myself

which, if any, are as good or better than an ipod?

Certainly the Microtrack and other portable digital recorders/players of its
type have better technical performance.