Mike Cleaver

Default Ugliest microphones (inside and out!)

OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?
I thought I'd seen it all until I went to a friend's house.
He rescues unloved micorphones, the type most of us would turf into
the trash.
But he had an RCA 44BX that took the cake.
The case and screens were nice enough but the silk had been replaced
with some type of plaid mystery cloth!
When he removed the screens, the inside was packed with that "foam
that expands in place" with a crystal mike cartridge imbedded in it.
None of the original 44 "guts" were left but the thing did have a cord
and plug on it.
Besides looking like a Scotsman in a cage, it sounded like pure crap!
He calls it the "44BXtal".
Now I've seen mics painted all different colours and original innards
removed and replaced with "better" capsules but this was the worst
butcher job I've ever seen.
Anyone else with any examples?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Dale Farmer

Mike Cleaver wrote:

OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?
I thought I'd seen it all until I went to a friend's house.
He rescues unloved micorphones, the type most of us would turf into
the trash.

Worst thing I ever heard about. ( I wasn't there to watch this,
possible urban legend. ) Was some foley artist needed the sound
of a car crusher, for a scene where the victim was crushed inside
of one. He took an assortment of mics to a junkyard and left
the mics inside of various cars while they were being crushed.

The mics were not recoverable.

--Dale

T Maki

Might not have been a "butcher job", but purpose-built.
Although, in another life it probably deserved the kind of
regard afforded to such a fine piece of equipment that
observers here might give it, it might have wound up in a
auction box-lot or a garage sale, and a high school theatre
tech or director found what was left and since they were
doing "Annie" or some other show that required a "vintage"
microphone prop that could also be a practical, they modded
it to sound sort of old-fashioned-y for the show. I'd say
that's a creative use of what otherwise was considered a
piece of junk. They had the look, just had to make the sound
("pure crap" is what they might have been looking for). I've
done it myself on several occasions.

Who knows...?

TM

Mike Cleaver wrote:
an RCA 44BX that took the cake.
the silk had been replaced with some type of plaid mystery cloth!
the inside was packed with that "foam that expands in place" with a crystal mike cartridge imbedded in it.

None of the original 44 "guts" were left but the thing did have a cord
and plug on it.

it sounded like pure crap!

this was the worst butcher job I've ever seen.

ThePaulThomas

Mike Cleaver wrote in message . ..
...But he had an RCA 44BX that took the cake.
The case and screens were nice enough but the silk had been replaced
with some type of plaid mystery cloth!
When he removed the screens, the inside was packed with that "foam
that expands in place" with a crystal mike cartridge imbedded in it.
None of the original 44 "guts" were left but the thing did have a cord
and plug on it...

Mike, you just made me cry. So now I hate you.

;-)

Richard Crowley

"Mike Cleaver" wrote ...
OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?

Legend has it that EV used to demonstrate the ruggedness of
the old 664s by hammering nails into 2x4s with them. Reputedly
the provenance of the name "Buchannan Hammer"

And another legend about EV flushing a 635A down a toilet
(with the cable attached and playing through a monitor spkr)
to demonstrate its behavior under difficult (and humid)
conditions(!) Ewwwwww! Wash your hands after using!

Peter Hill

"Mike Cleaver" wrote in message
OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone? - Snip.

My worst experience was whilst recording a cookery programme, the chef,
cooking scallops in a frying pan added a huge slug of whisky to flambé them.
Well the slug was rather large and the whisky something like lots of proof
alcohol. His lav mic, a minute sony job was also flambé. Flames reached the
studio ceiling which was fortunately covered in rockwool, but the sound just
fizzled out. The good news was that the culinary result tasted delicious.
AND we got seconds after the retake. Expensive dish though.

Peter Hill
Foxglove Audio

Karl Winkler

Dale Farmer wrote in message ...
Mike Cleaver wrote:

OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?
I thought I'd seen it all until I went to a friend's house.
He rescues unloved micorphones, the type most of us would turf into
the trash.

Worst thing I ever heard about. ( I wasn't there to watch this,
possible urban legend. ) Was some foley artist needed the sound
of a car crusher, for a scene where the victim was crushed inside
of one. He took an assortment of mics to a junkyard and left
the mics inside of various cars while they were being crushed.

The mics were not recoverable.

--Dale

Probably a favor to some of those mics, and also to the pro audio
community as a whole g.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com

TimPerry

"Peter Hill" wrote in message

[...]

and then there are the radio DJs who think its a wonderful idea to spray
Lysol directly into the mic in an effort to avoid catching colds.

and those who after a remote broadcast drive off trailing then mic and cable
behind the van.

sodderboy

Our best microphone at Unique Recording was the Ela M251. It was
constantly getting banged-around by the new GA of the day. The
connector threads were grinding-down by the month.
After a re-capping of the power supply, I decided to mount the mic and
PSU to a dedicated boom stand, always mounted and connected. It lived
in the rentals closet and worked well for a time.
One night I watched a GA rolling the stand down the hall. The PSU was
dragging behind by the mic interconnect, and the mic had been
un-screwed and was all "expanded-like" and swinging around from the
boom in a horrible articulated fashion.
Nothing was really harmed- just scratched, and the GA was fired for
being an idiot. The mic was later stolen, without the PSU, in an
elaborate street scam.
HUH?

Analogeezer

[...]

I once saw "The Cramps" when I was in college, the lead singer took an
SM-58 and stuck it down his pants...then he bent over, pulled it out
of his open zipper and stuck the entire ball in his mouth and turned
upward with just the mic and cable hanging out of his mouth.

I'm not sure what he was trying to prove but I made sure I brought my
own mic to any school sponsored shows after that my band played at!

Analogeezer

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

I think it was on Howard Stern that he had some porn actresses in who
did some rather moist things with a microphone. If it was an RE-20 it
would take a real professional.

On 15 Nov 2004 09:17:03 -0800,
(Analogeezer) wrote:

[...]

http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:35:59 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Hill"
wrote:

"Mike Cleaver" wrote in message
.. .
His lav mic, a minute sony job was also flambé.

Ahh, I will put Lavalier Flambé in the cookbook with Click and Clack's
Eggs Prestone.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Geoff Wood

"Mike Cleaver" wrote in message
OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?

Dunno, but cleaving them sounds a bit extreme.

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

And another legend about EV flushing a 635A down a toilet
(with the cable attached and playing through a monitor spkr)
to demonstrate its behavior under difficult (and humid)
conditions(!) Ewwwwww! Wash your hands after using!

That would certain duisuade proximity -effdect problems !

geoff

Geoff Wood

"Willie K.Yee, M.D." wrote in message
I think it was on Howard Stern that he had some porn actresses in who
did some rather moist things with a microphone. If it was an RE-20 it
would take a real professional.

Nicely ribbed ...

geoff

David Satz

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought that you wanted to know which
microphones looked the least appealing to us _as designed_.

I would have suggested the Sanken CUW-180 stereo microphone, as shown
on page 177 of the Nov. 2004 MIX Magazine, and on Sanken's Web site at
http://www.sanken-mic.com/english/ . Someone should put a sock on that.

Pietro

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:26:45 GMT, Mike Cleaver
wrote:

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?

I once put a condom on a sm57... just to capture dropping water
sounds.. but I've recently seen something really weird on Italian TV:
a man put some dog **** (ouch..) all over the foam and started
interviewing famous people..

--
Ciao,
Pietro

WEBTRONIC
"Tutta l'elettronica nel web"
Prossimamente on-line: www.webtronic.it
e-mail provvisoria progettoecommerce@virgilioPUNTOit
.... sostituire PUNTO con "."

Hans van Dongen

David Satz wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood and thought that you wanted to know which
microphones looked the least appealing to us _as designed_.

I would have suggested the Sanken CUW-180 stereo microphone, as shown
on page 177 of the Nov. 2004 MIX Magazine, and on Sanken's Web site at
http://www.sanken-mic.com/english/ . Someone should put a sock on that.

"Ehh, Candi, how many times have I told you to use the OTHER end ?!"

Hans

Paul Stamler

"David Satz" wrote in message
om...

I would have suggested the Sanken CUW-180 stereo microphone, as shown
on page 177 of the Nov. 2004 MIX Magazine, and on Sanken's Web site at
http://www.sanken-mic.com/english/ . Someone should put a sock on that.

Eek.

Peace,
Paul

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

On 16 Nov 2004 06:41:31 -0800, (David Satz) wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought that you wanted to know which
microphones looked the least appealing to us _as designed_.

I would have suggested the Sanken CUW-180 stereo microphone, as shown
on page 177 of the Nov. 2004 MIX Magazine, and on Sanken's Web site at
http://www.sanken-mic.com/english/ . Someone should put a sock on that.

Some of the Russian Oktava designs look pretty ugly.