RB

Default cda - mp3 conversion question

I'm starting the below thread over because it's now been to long to post
back on the original thread.

Geoff Wood, Chung, Benjamin, Codifus, and Neil Davis all gave me some good
info. Now, maybe I'll be able to ask some reasonably intelligent questions
to get to the bottom of what's vexing me.

First, let me say that I started off attempting to dupe 6 CDs that a friend
made using "professional level" buring eqpt.

The CDs play OK in my computer players, although they don't sound great.

When I call up E drive to read the disc content, it simply tells me x
(average is 21) number of cda tracks. Each is shown as being 2kb. Don't
know why they're all a uniform 2 kb, but they are.

When I went to burn dupes using Nero, I got an overburn prediction notice.
I opted to go ahead and overburn. Doing this ended up with a failed burn on
one disc, and a success on another. I didn't try a 3rd, because I made 4
nice coasters out of the failed tries.

So, when I couldn't do a disc-to-disc copy, I then tried copying the files
to hard drive. The idea being to then use the .cda tracks as sources to put
on a NERO playlist and make CD copies from it. Here's the brick wall I ran
into the

"Sorry-NERO cannot determine the SCSI/ATAPI device that corresponds to this
drive letter.

Reasons for this may be:

reading .cda from a recorder which is not supported.
the source drive does not support CDDA reading.
the source frive reads CDDA too slowly.
the NERO driver is not installed or is not working
properly. "

CDEX doesn't do anything for me in regard to ripping these CDs. I try to
start it, but it simply doesn't respond.

So, what next?

Codifus

Those .cda files are not the actual music data. They are more of a
"header" file for each song on the disc. The problem you may have run
into is simply the copy protection scheme. They don't want you to make
copies The way I've been able to circumvent it is to use another
operating system, like a Macitntosh. For some reason, Macs and other
OSes can usually bypass the copy protection and record the data. A
friend of mine has had even more success with using Linux to rip CDs. I
know this won't solve your problem, but at aleast you'll have a better
idea of what's going on.

hth

CD

RB wrote:

[...]

RB

Good info. Thanks. I'm beginning to think that's my problem.

RB

Good info. Thanks. I'm beginning to think that's my problem.

RB

Good info. Thanks. I'm beginning to think that's my problem.

RB

Good info. Thanks. I'm beginning to think that's my problem.

chung

RB wrote:

[...]

How are you copying the files to hard disk?

I would start Nero, and choose "Save Track As", and then pick the .wav
format. Are you having trouble with that step?

Reasons for this may be:

reading .cda from a recorder which is not supported.
the source drive does not support CDDA reading.
the source frive reads CDDA too slowly.
the NERO driver is not installed or is not working
properly. "

CDEX doesn't do anything for me in regard to ripping these CDs. I try to
start it, but it simply doesn't respond.

What do you mean it does not respond? Does it see the CD drive and the
tracks on the CD?

So, what next?

Geoff Wood

RB wrote:

When I call up E drive to read the disc content, it simply tells me x
(average is 21) number of cda tracks. Each is shown as being 2kb.
Don't know why they're all a uniform 2 kb, but they are.

They are not 'cda files' - cda is the way Windows shows CD-Audio fuiles.
You cannot copy them. You need to 'Extract' them (aka rip) to a wav file
first, or directly into an MP3 encoding application.

CDEX doesn't do anything for me in regard to ripping these CDs. I
try to start it, but it simply doesn't respond.

I'd say you have something fundamentally screwed up in your CD-ROM
subsystem.

Turn off "Auto-Insert detect" in device manager if Win16.

geoff

RB

}}} How are you copying the files to hard disk? {{{

I simply went to E: drive and then copied the whole disc content to a
folder.

}}} I would start Nero, and choose "Save Track As", and then pick the .wav
format. Are you having trouble with that step? {{{

It's amateur hour here.......I thought Nero was only for burning
disc-to-disc. I can't find any Nero option to copy to hard drive.

Again, bearing in mind it's amateur hour here.......when I put the original
CD in CDEX, I believe the vertical buttons on the right side should be
active. There are six of them. With my situation, only buttons #4 and #5
are active. And, I can't find any way to bring up a menu display of E:
drive content on the CDEX screen. And yes, I've read the help file and how
to get started.

chung

RB wrote:

}}} How are you copying the files to hard disk? {{{

I simply went to E: drive and then copied the whole disc content to a
folder.

You cannot do that.

}}} I would start Nero, and choose "Save Track As", and then pick the .wav
format. Are you having trouble with that step? {{{

It's amateur hour here.......I thought Nero was only for burning
disc-to-disc. I can't find any Nero option to copy to hard drive.

Here's how you do it in Nero 5.X.

Start Nero. If the wizard come up, close it. Click "Recorder" on menu
bar, and click "Save Track". Make sure that the right CD drive is
selected, and use .wav for format. Highlight the tracks you want to
copy. Supply destination path. Hit Go.

I would imagine that Nero 6 has similar features.

Again, bearing in mind it's amateur hour here.......when I put the original
CD in CDEX, I believe the vertical buttons on the right side should be
active. There are six of them. With my situation, only buttons #4 and #5
are active. And, I can't find any way to bring up a menu display of E:
drive content on the CDEX screen. And yes, I've read the help file and how
to get started.

Start CDEX. Make sure that the CD drive is selected, right below the
menu bar. You should see a display of the tracks on the main pane. There
is a vertical column of buttons on the right, and the top one is for
extracting tracks to .wav's. Highlight the tracks you want to copy and
hit the top button on the right.

RB

}}} Start CDEX. Make sure that the CD drive is selected, right below the
menu bar. You should see a display of the tracks on the main pane. There
is a vertical column of buttons on the right, and the top one is for
extracting tracks to .wav's. Highlight the tracks you want to copy and
hit the top button on the right. {{{

I have no idea what I was doing different than following your procedure,
BUT-----IT WORKED this time. Yay yay. Operator problem totally, as
suspected, but at least I'm now able to rip those things to hard drive.
Should be duck soup from here on out.

Many thanks to all for being patient and hanging in there with me.