Agent_C

Default Share Your Snake Oil Story...

I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Dave Kowalski

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Arny Krueger

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------

They can do a number on fine finshed floors. Oh, I get it - you need some
sort of magical thing to put under them for only $95.00 each or $395 for a
set of 4.

I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

Yeah, some say that the pointy tip-toes under components act like mechanical
rectifiers. I would think that would be a bad thing - generates nonlinear
distortion.

Arny Krueger

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Recently I got John Atkinson of Stereophile to confirm that SP ran an
article about the sonic advantages of treating CDs with Armor All. In fact
the result was damaged CDs.

Scott Dorsey

Agent_C wrote:

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

But that's the case with nearly any playback system.

The pitted surface of the disk contains the data. You play back an early
pressing of an album mastered flat, then you play back a later pressing
that is compressed to hell, and there will sure be substantial audible
differences on the same title.

And those differences is because the data on the disc is different... on
the pitted surfaces. Okay, they aren't maybe subtle differences. In the
case of some albums they are anything BUT subtle....

Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Agent_C wrote:

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he
had a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so
precise, that one could actually distinguish between two identically
titled CD's - by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the
disk.

But that's the case with nearly any playback system.

The pitted surface of the disk contains the data. You play back an
early pressing of an album mastered flat, then you play back a later
pressing that is compressed to hell, and there will sure be
substantial audible differences on the same title.

And those differences is because the data on the disc is different...
on the pitted surfaces. Okay, they aren't maybe subtle differences.
In the case of some albums they are anything BUT subtle....

Isn't this kinda begging the question, Scott?

What the high priests at Singer are claiming is that identical data on CDs
pressed right after each other with the same dies can be reasonably be
expected to sound different, due to the extreme resolution of their megabuck
CD players.

And you know what, I can prove this to be true. All it takes is a
properly-tuned finger print on one of the otherwise-identical CDs. If a
$30,000 or even a $3,000 sale were contingent, I might be tempted...

TimPerry

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------

They can do a number on fine finshed floors. Oh, I get it - you need some
sort of magical thing to put under them for only $95.00 each or $395 for a
set of 4.

I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

Yeah, some say that the pointy tip-toes under components act like

mechanical
rectifiers. I would think that would be a bad thing - generates nonlinear
distortion.

ever hear if the "lunar gravity compensator" for tone arms? this cam comes
with a tide chart and is used to adjust tracking force to compensate for the
slight gravitational pull of the moon.

scott

One of my personal favorites...oh yeah....these look like a good
investment...not!

Tekna Sonic C-5 BookShelf Speaker Enhancer - Pair $79.95

Even the finest speakers have cabinet vibrations that make bass notes muddy
or boomy, and distort the midrange. Now Tekna Sonic offers a simple solution
guaranteed to improve bass and midrange clarity. C-5 vibration absorbers
feature an array of polymer damping plates - selectively tuned to
frequencies in the 20-1kHz range - which attach magnetically to the back of
the speaker cabinet.

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message
How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Jonny Durango

If a tube mic preamp makes your recordings sound warmer with 6.3 volts on
the tube's filament, would applying 63 volts to the filament make your
recordings sound even warmer? ;-)

or maybe make your studio a little warmer when it starts a fire =)

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
In article .com
writes:

I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Someone once tried to sell me a tube mic preamp. Said it would warm up
all my recordings.

If a tube mic preamp makes your recordings sound warmer with 6.3 volts on
the tube's filament, would applying 63 volts to the filament make your
recordings sound even warmer? ;-)

John

On 3/3/05 8:51 AM, in article , "Dave Kowalski"
wrote:

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

I confess to having a set of these ceramic doodads for my little Tannoys,
bought soley because the Tannoy tech folks said they indeed were worth
having. At $5 a set I wasn;t worried for the experiment.
I'm still not sure if the black ones sound darker than the brown ones.

Mark

Agent_C wrote:
[...]

My favorites are those little teflon sticks being sold to audiofools to
support speaker cables up off and away from the lossy dielectric
plastic fibers in your carpet.

Mark

Steven Sullivan

Agent_C wrote:

[...]

*Possibly* the Singer folk claim that too -- having shopped in the NYC
hi-end dens, I won't put anything past Singer
and Lyric, veritable temples of tweakdom and snake-oil -- but Agent C
only said the CDs were *identically titled* -- which
could include remastered CDs, which certainly do tend to sound different from
previous editions....and have different pits too ; That's what Scott
is getting at.

Of course even a $500 system, or a $15 portable discman, could reveal
audible difference between many remastered CDs...

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
Codifus

TimPerry wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------

They can do a number on fine finshed floors. Oh, I get it - you need some
sort of magical thing to put under them for only $95.00 each or $395 for a
set of 4.

I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

Yeah, some say that the pointy tip-toes under components act like

mechanical

rectifiers. I would think that would be a bad thing - generates nonlinear
distortion.

ever hear if the "lunar gravity compensator" for tone arms? this cam comes
with a tide chart and is used to adjust tracking force to compensate for the
slight gravitational pull of the moon.

So THAT's why my turntable sounds funny when I'm playing it on the
beach, and it always co-incided with high tide

Oh, and the sand inside my motor bearings, do they have something for
that, too?

CD
Steven Sullivan

The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

the home of
BRILLIANT PEBBLES
basically, a jar of rocks
"It's no exaggeration to say that with the Pebbles in place
regular CDs now sound better than SACDs did before." -- Gabriel G., PhD

the INTELLIGENT CHIP:
"Machina Dynamica now carries the amazing Intelligent Chip, an emerging technology device that improves CD sound quality
in the blink of an eye. The Intelligent Chip is a thin, 1-inch square orange wafer that automatically upgrades any
CD/DVD/SACD disc when the Chip is placed momentarily on the top surface of the player while the disc is playing."

and the MAGIC RING
"Description/Theory: The Magic Ring (Standard size) is a 1 3/4-lb, dark metallic-gray, thick-walled cylinder with OD =
2.5 inch, L = 2.5 inches and H = 2.75 inches (including flat base). The Large Magic Ring weighs 2 1/4 lb and is slightly
larger than the standard size Ring. The Magic Ring and Large Magic Ring are intended to be used with speaker cables,
power cords and interconnects, as well as in proximity to electronic components. The Magic Ring operates on the
principle of "energy organization" in materials that conduct "signal" or electricity, as opposed to magnetism or
vibration control. The Magic Ring illuminates and expands the soundstage, lowers distortion and improves dynamics,
especially microdynamics. Surprisingly, bass performance is also improved quite a bit. "

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:06:57 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------

They can do a number on fine finshed floors. Oh, I get it - you need some
sort of magical thing to put under them for only $95.00 each or $395 for a
set of 4.

Kruger Rands would surely be the best? :-)

Chad Wahls

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
[...]

I dig the ultra tweeters. Special cables my ass, Heliax maybe! Because of
the inductance of ANY stranded cable, let alone the output tranny or the
emitter resistors there ain't no giga nothing getting there!!!

Chad

Colin B.

In rec.audio.tech Steven Sullivan wrote:
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

Damn, you beat me to it!

I particularly like the fact that the magic chip is a consumable item.
"Fool you once, shame on me. Fool you twice, and I'll start a business."

I figure that someone with an equal mix of cynicism and ethics decided to
get into the tweaker market, but decided to come up with something so utterly
outrageous that they couldn't feel guilty about fooling anyone incredulous
enough to believe them.

Colin

Johann Burkard

Steven Sullivan wrote:
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

I like http://www.machinadynamica.com/Bob_Nimbus2.JPG best. It shows
these people spend thousands on equipment of questionable quality and
exactly _zero_ on room treatment.

Oh no, wait - the sofa in front is a special sofa that removes subsonic
vibrations (from 0 to 0.1 Hz) so that the music will have more air,
ambiance and three dimensional sound stage. Great.

And that rock in front of the sofa acts as a supersonic diffusor for
effortless, extended treble, enhanced details, authoritative bass,
better transient response.

(Marketing blabla stolen from http://www.dhcones.com)

Johann, f'up to r.a.p.
--
Dann frage ich mich nur, wieso neben seinem Telefonbucheintrag "hors
service" steht.

Ich verstehe nicht, warum dich ein a. D. abhaelt, denjenigen
anzurufen (...) (Roman Racine und *Tönnes in dag°)
Paul Stamler

Some of you may be old enough to remember the "deltoid test" flap. In the
early days of digital recording, a clinical psychologist (was his name
Diamond?) claimed that digital recordings agitated his patients, while
analog recordings calmed them. He proved that by employing the "deltoid
test", borrowed from chiropractic.

In that test, the subject stands with arms outstretched; the experimenter
suddenly presses downward. Whether or not the subject can resist tells the
experimenter something about his/her muscle tone, and presumably other
things like stress level. The good doctor found that when subjects listened
to digital recordings, they showed much lower muscle tone than when they
listened to analog recordings.

Now, it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility that digital
recordings might have subtle physiological effects. And it's certainly
possible that the deltoid test might be detecting real physiological
effects, whether or not they might be connected to what the subject was
listening to.

But when the doctor cautioned that it was well-known in the world of
chiropractic that the effects of the deltoid test would be skewed if there
was refined sugar anywhere in the room, that's when it was time for the
horselaugh.

Peace,
Paul

Scott Dorsey

Paul Stamler wrote:

Now, it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility that digital
recordings might have subtle physiological effects. And it's certainly
possible that the deltoid test might be detecting real physiological
effects, whether or not they might be connected to what the subject was
listening to.

Absolutely. If I play The Art of the Fugue on LP to one group, and I play
the Sex Pistols on CD to a second group, I can guarantee you that by any
objective measure of relaxation (deltoid test, skin resistance, what have
you), the group listening to analogue recordings will test as more relaxed.

TimPerry

"Codifus" wrote in message
TimPerry wrote:
[...]

remember the "ZeroStat" gun for records?

all you need is the Megastat Cannon (tm) to create an instant static
repulsion field for ANY electronic device. perfect for drunken beach
parties. as an added feature the Megastat Cannon (tm) actually attracts
topless babes.

Dave Martin

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Absolutely. If I play The Art of the Fugue on LP to one group, and I play
the Sex Pistols on CD to a second group, I can guarantee you that by any
objective measure of relaxation (deltoid test, skin resistance, what have
you), the group listening to analogue recordings will test as more

relaxed.
--scott

Well, it depends on which recording of the Art of the Fugue, doesn't it?

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

TimPerry

wrote:

How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

they probably sound "warmer" as the black exterior absorbs more heat and as
we all know a warmer objects molecules move faster. ... maybe nickel plated
ones are needed for heavy metal music?

TimPerry

My favorites are those little teflon sticks being sold to audiofools to
support speaker cables up off and away from the lossy dielectric
plastic fibers in your carpet.

Mark

hey that a new one! where can i see it?

Chad Wahls

"TimPerry" wrote in message

"Codifus" wrote in message
TimPerry wrote:
[...]

Yeeeeaaaah baby! I have a stat cannon in my pile-o-laughter here in my
office!!!

Chad

Powell

"Arny Krueger" wrote

I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Recently I got John Atkinson of Stereophile to confirm
that SP ran an article about the sonic advantages of
treating CDs with Armor All. In fact the result was
damaged CDs.

Is that what you and Atkinson are going to debate at the
show... Armor All?

TimPerry

the usual "magic wire" scam.. just under $3,000 for two 6 ft wires.... but
you get a nice box too.... and serial numbers!

Andrew Chesters

Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Not as "off the wall" as some of the tales here, but when shopping for
an MD for sound effects playback in a theatre, I was told by spotty yoof
in Richer Sounds that "player X had a better sound because it went
through fewer buttons on the front panel than player Y". Needless to
say, I did laugh in his face and, quite loudly, explained to the whole
shop that he new dip-**** about audio. Might just have lost them a few
sales that day.

I DID buy one of them, just happened to be the one with more
knobs/buttons. There again, I was only really interested in one
feature; "Can you set it to pause after each track?"
Jim Gilliland

Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Some of my favorite snake oil products have come from the Shakti company:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

They not only improve your audio, but the same technology will make your
car run better!

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/automotive.htm

And here's their latest innovation:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm
Agent_C

You're being sarcastic right? I believe a tube preamp will actually
sound a little 'warmer' than a solid state one.

A_C

Bob Myers

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

Good God. I kept hoping it was all some sort of bizarre joke...

Bob M.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Agent_C" wrote in message ups.com...
You're being sarcastic right? I believe a tube preamp will actually
sound a little 'warmer' than a solid state one.

A_C

You're joking right? Unless you qualify that statement, there's little
more to assume. So many manufacturers are making little cheap
preamps with a small tube on the input gain stage which (tube there
or tube not there), still sound like crap up against a huge variety of
solid state preamps.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Colin B. wrote:
In rec.audio.tech Steven Sullivan wrote:
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

Damn, you beat me to it!

I particularly like the fact that the magic chip is a consumable item.
"Fool you once, shame on me. Fool you twice, and I'll start a business."

Well, Clark Johnson says it works! Twice!

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/gen...es/366492.html

I figure that someone with an equal mix of cynicism and ethics decided to
get into the tweaker market, but decided to come up with something so utterly
outrageous that they couldn't feel guilty about fooling anyone incredulous
enough to believe them.

I actually thought the Machinadynamics site was a spoof, when I first
heard of it.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Jim Gilliland" wrote in message...

And here's their latest innovation:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Oh my.... :-\

Scott Dorsey

Agent_C wrote:
You're being sarcastic right? I believe a tube preamp will actually
sound a little 'warmer' than a solid state one.

And what makes you think that? Other than marketing, of course.

Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Paul Stamler wrote:
Some of you may be old enough to remember the "deltoid test" flap. In the
early days of digital recording, a clinical psychologist (was his name
Diamond?) claimed that digital recordings agitated his patients, while
analog recordings calmed them. He proved that by employing the "deltoid
test", borrowed from chiropractic.

Tweako amp designer Mark Levinson has been touting those 'results' for some
years now...most recently in a published
'roundtable' in The Absolute Sound. The polite silence from the other members
of the roundtable was rather telling...even TAS has its limits.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
play on

I think someone needs to collect all this stuff and put it on one
website... www.audiofraud.org or something. It would be a public
service.

Al