Posted to rec.audio.car
Elder Elder is offline

Default What is Nakamichi reliability like now?

I've decided to sort out a decent Headunit.
I've always liked the style of Nak headunits, but there seems to have
been some reliability issues with the CD500, and they apparrently were
withdrawn. Does anyone know if this is true, and whether it has been
sorted?

Any idea of similar quality/price alternatives (Nak/Becker/McIntosh
Audio)
I want something that looks plain/understated (not as important now in
the Octavia as it was in the old Saabs), has lots of pre-outs/sub outs,
built in amp for now, good audio quality, can do aux in as well as CD
changer (without adaptor unit), play MP3s, and have a decent tuner.

Of my experience of cheaper end kit.
Old Sony RC from my Saab convertible. Radio was excellent.
Old Clarion/Saab RC. Tuner was spot on for FM, sound quality was
average.
Cheap Pro-Plus, not good sound, but tuner was fantastic, really
sensitive and locked on well.
Toyota Standard radio cassette, very good for a 10 year old piece of
kit.
Blaupunkt Modena (CD53 I think), sound quality good, radio reception
poor.
Skoda basic R/C from the Octavia, too quiet to hear over engine noise
with the windows up on the motorway, but sound quality fair and tuner
good.
Goodmans MP3 CD player, Sound quality poor to average, Tuner poor to
average, very poor on weaker stations. No pre outs, so I can't even add
to the stock twin speaker system.

--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Denon makes a high-end deck (don't know the model number) that is probably
the most refined and coolest HU I've ever seen. I would check out Denon,
though they may be difficult to come by in the US.

MOSFET

"Elder" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well, he seems to be in Europe so that probably isn't a problem :-)

JD

Look at that. The typical ego-centric American. I assume EVERYONE lives in
the US.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Elder Elder is offline

In article , jdurbin1
@san.rr.com says...

MOSFET wrote:

Denon makes a high-end deck (don't know the model number) that is probably
the most refined and coolest HU I've ever seen. I would check out Denon,
though they may be difficult to come by in the US.

MOSFET

Hi John, MOSFET, thanks.
Had thought about Denon, as I know their Home AV stuff is rated pretty
well.
Hadn't got round to looking them up and then completley forgot about
them. Thanks for the reminder.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Posted to rec.audio.car
Eric Bateman Eric Bateman is offline

Elder wrote:
In article , jdurbin1
@san.rr.com says...

MOSFET wrote:

Denon makes a high-end deck (don't know the model number) that is probably
the most refined and coolest HU I've ever seen. I would check out Denon,
though they may be difficult to come by in the US.

MOSFET

Hi John, MOSFET, thanks.
Had thought about Denon, as I know their Home AV stuff is rated pretty
well.
Hadn't got round to looking them up and then completley forgot about
them. Thanks for the reminder.

When I was installing, Nak head units couldn't be beat in terms of sound
quality. Keep in mind that this was about 7 years ago now, but then the
reliability was not what you'd expect (especially with the MB-75/MB-100)
from a high-end product. Their CD players were good, amps average, and
the MF-51 was actually bullet-proof. I know they dropped out of the US
market a while back and still appear to be out.

A lot can change in seven years, so I guess my experience is a bit
irrelevant now. You might want to try some forums in your part of the
world to check out what's going on with them lately.

By the way, I still wouldn't mind having an MB-100...

Eric