Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Dynamic range of recent remasters from vinyl

Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Nice! on both LZ's and your part Shame not enough others have the
wisdom and power to enforce music with actual dynamics. IIRC, even Bob
Dylan couldn't have his will with his latest album.
IIRC from loudness war discussions, sadly many artists want's that
loudness out of fear of not selling like the competition.
Maybe artists simply suffer from label/producer induced FUD.
Recording/downmix engineers are simply forced, I guess.

A three-headed organization to enforce non-needed-loudness is needed:
For engineers, for artists, and for consumers - if the latter can be
made interested in significant numbers.

"Demand music with true dynamics. Join FOLO - the Fully Open Loudness
Organization - on folo.org"

Ooups.. folo.org is taken by scientology..

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to uk.rec.audio, rec.audio.tech, rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 21, 6:27 am, "Mogens V."
wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

a non-profit music industry organization campaigning to give artists
back the choice to release more dynamic records.

http://www.turnmeup.org/
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mogens V. wrote:

Shame not enough others have the
wisdom and power to enforce music with actual dynamics. IIRC, even Bob
Dylan couldn't have his will with his latest album.

As famous as Bob Dylan is, he sells peanuts while LZ sells big, round
bales. He's written almost as many songs as he has sold units. (g

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Mogens V. wrote:
IIRC, even Bob Dylan couldn't have his will with his latest album.

I got the idea he was fobbed off with some nonsense about it being down to
digital. Of course it could be he was selectively quoted in the article I
read. But it did go on about 'LP' sound. Which, of course, he'd never hear
in the recording studio anyway.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Eiron Eiron is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

There are probably four CD versions of Stairway to Heaven:
The early CD of IV; Remasters; IV Remastered; Mothership.
It would be interesting to compare them all rather than just one.

I wonder if there is a version of III that doesn't sound as if it was
recorded on a portable cassette player in a bathroom.

--
Eiron.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce wrote:

Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Interestin, thanks. The Rock around the clock CD box RATCCD001 ... 010 seems
just like transferred - on the average 2.5 dB headroom - but alas with
digital noise reduction overdone. Ah well, mp3'in or wma'ing will take care
of those upper treble oddities. At the retail price it is OK, DKK 149 for
the box.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:23:07 -0500, Les Cargill
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

My CD of "Hotel California" likewise has very reasonable dynamics.
It's not even normalized on some songs.

I'm just trying to remember what CD I played the other day which had
one song that didn't reach higher than about -11dB FS. It was meant to
be quiet, and it was.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

My CD of "Hotel California" likewise has very reasonable dynamics.
It's not even normalized on some songs.

Which CD is this? The one I have (from the late eighties) is not crushed,
but it's very screechy and has a very exaggerated top end.
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

In rec.audio.tech Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Which 'modern remix/remaster' CD version is this from...and by original
vinyl copy, you mean from when?

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:46:32 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan
wrote:

In rec.audio.tech Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Which 'modern remix/remaster' CD version is this from...and by original
vinyl copy, you mean from when?

The CD is 1997. I bought the vinyl the first day it appeared in the
shops, back in whenever it was they first made it.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

wrote:

In rec.audio.tech Don Pearce wrote:
Not all is gloom in the dynamic range midden. I've just been pulling
to pieces a bit of Led Zeppelin to compare a recent CD of LZ IV with
my original vinyl copy. I'm happy to be able to report that the new CD
has hugely *increased* dynamics over the vinyl, and there is no sign
of any mastering engineer making it loud.

It is so nice when the artists have the muscle to stay in charge.

http://81.174.169.10/odds/dynamics

to see what I found.

Which 'modern remix/remaster' CD version is this from...and by original
vinyl copy, you mean from when?

The CD is 1997. I bought the vinyl the first day it appeared in the
shops, back in whenever it was they first made it.

Then the CD is from the 1992 remaster series, by George Marino (with oversight
from Jimmy Page). Not exactly new. In fact, select tracks have been
remastered twice since then...and the whole catalog will probably get
remastered again in the next year or two.

___