Posted to rec.audio.tech
eugene eugene is offline

Default Do DIY Speaker Surround Kits Work?

About 10 years ago I had a pair of Advents refoamed by a speaker
repair business with good results. Now I need another set of speakers
repaired and after doing a little research online I find alot of DIY
repair kits.

Does anyone here have any experience with these DIY repair kits? Any
recommendations of what brand of kits to use or not use?

Thanks, Eugene
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

eugene wrote:
About 10 years ago I had a pair of Advents refoamed by a speaker
repair business with good results. Now I need another set of speakers
repaired and after doing a little research online I find alot of DIY
repair kits.

Does anyone here have any experience with these DIY repair kits? Any
recommendations of what brand of kits to use or not use?

Thanks, Eugene

The DIY kits do, indeed, work. OTOH, with a little research, the
components of the 'kits' put out by various suppliers can be had for
about a fifth of the cost. What you don't get is the instruction for
utilizing these components--plus finding the proper fit requires a
little more measurement and research.

All that said, the woofers have to be in good condition otherwise, in
order to be brought back to 'as new' condition. Assuming that you owned
the speakers when they were working properly, and that you did not
operate them after the surrounds deteriorated, new surrounds can extend
their life indefinitely.

Otherwise, there is the possibility that the voice coils or the leads
from the terminals to the voice coils can be damaged. Unfortunately,
it's difficult to determine whether this has occurred. I bought a nice
pair of EPI's at a thrift store which sounded fine after a refoam, but
failed shortly thereafter due to a break in the fine wire which leads
from the speaker cone down into the coil...presumably from overexcursion
of the cone, caused by operation with defective surrounds.

It's a shame to do that much work (and it 'is' a fair amount of time
consuming, fairly exacting work), only to end up with inoperative, or
else-wise less than perfect woofers.

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"eugene" wrote in message
About 10 years ago I had a pair of Advents refoamed by a speaker
repair business with good results. Now I need another set of speakers
repaired and after doing a little research online I find alot of DIY
repair kits.

Does anyone here have any experience with these DIY repair kits? Any
recommendations of what brand of kits to use or not use?

The kits work great. I've refoamed a couple of sets of speakers with
excellent results. It takes a few hours over a couple of days, but it's
really hard to screw up the procedure if you're careful.

I got my most recent kit from http://www.wooferrepair.com. It came with a
DVD which I never did watch, but I imagine they couldn't make it any
clearer.

As far as sourcing your own components goes, unless you're unemployed or
homeless, or you're going do many re-foams commercially, your time has got
to be more valuable than the $17.50 they charge for the kit.

ER Audio ESL speaker kits Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 85 April 25th 07 02:11 PM
Speaker Kits for Christmas--From $98/pr w/free plans/parts list/setup tips commonsenseaudio Vacuum Tubes 1 December 13th 05 01:15 PM
Speaker Kits for Christmas--From $98/pr w/free plans/parts list/setup tips commonsenseaudio Marketplace 0 December 12th 05 03:34 PM
Speaker Kits Michael McKelvy Tech 3 August 4th 04 12:28 AM
Tube Amp & Speaker Kits? Philip Thomas High End Audio 8 February 22nd 04 09:13 PM