Alfonso

Default Advice needed: Looking for used cassette deck

I have several hundred cassettes that I will convert to CD. In seeking
to get the most for my $, I'd appreciate any advice on models/makes to
look for, and what features would be superfluous given the very
focused task the machine with will be asked to perform.

For example, clearly I'd want want the best possible PLAYBACK head,
and good quality motors that for consistent tape speed. Top of the
line RECORDING heads are useless to me, as is fast rewind, the unit's
esthetics, its size, its tape copying ability (i.e. double deck), or
any other charateristics often sought in tape deck.

Essentially, I know I can get this in a brand new machine for $600+,
but I'm really looking to hone in on a specific make/model, that with
some perusing I could get for under $150.
Frank

I have a Luxman K-105 I will sell for $150. This unit is in perfect
condition like new. It is a high performance deck with Dolby b and c and
DBX. Also has multi tape type EQ for various tape types.

This unit functions like brand new.

Frank

"Alfonso" wrote in message
om...
I have several hundred cassettes that I will convert to CD. In seeking
to get the most for my $, I'd appreciate any advice on models/makes to
look for, and what features would be superfluous given the very
focused task the machine with will be asked to perform.

For example, clearly I'd want want the best possible PLAYBACK head,
and good quality motors that for consistent tape speed. Top of the
line RECORDING heads are useless to me, as is fast rewind, the unit's
esthetics, its size, its tape copying ability (i.e. double deck), or
any other charateristics often sought in tape deck.

Essentially, I know I can get this in a brand new machine for $600+,
but I'm really looking to hone in on a specific make/model, that with
some perusing I could get for under $150.

Tim Schwartz

Alfonso,

While there are many very good older cassette decks out there which
will do the job for you, the biggest problem is going to be the
condition of the transport. 10-20 year old rubber parts are drying out
and cracking, giving poor operation. Pinch rollers are the biggest
problem, as they are much harder to substitute than belts. Some motors
are hard to come by too.

The next problem is head wear, but that is much more a factor of how
much the machine is used, and is not age related like the rubber parts
are.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics