Marc Phillips

Mr. Middius said:

Marc Phillips said:

I think that's actually worry about the consequences. I've never seen
"worry" used without an element of anticipation. We have many other words
for feelings of unease that aren't dependent on anticipation.

Not to smooch your butt, but yours is a much more reasonable argument than

John
Chiara's. However, I still think it's possible and actually common to

worry
about things that have happened in the past. Your argument can presuppose

that
you may actually worry about these past occurences popping up and biting

you in
the ass at a later date, but I'm talking about worrying in the present, and

how
the things in the past have led you to where you are at that moment, and

what
you could have done to avoid your present predicament.

Well. I just don't use the word that way. I use other words to describe
that kind of situation.

Are you going to offer Mr. **** a wager on whether he'll go to face Lord
Atkinson? Give him ten-to-one odds. It's a sure winner.

I remember when I attended my first CES, shortly after first posting on RAO. I
asked a group of people if Arny was going to show, and they looked at me as if
I was crazy. "He'll never show his face to us in public," seemed to be the
consensus.

Truer words were never spoken.

Boon
Bruce J. Richman

John Chiara wrote:

As for worrying about the past, people that are excessively self-critical
often
beat themselves up so to speak about things they've already done and the
effect
these things may have on how others perceive them, for example.

So we can say that "beating themselves up" is the same as "worrying?"
That could be punishing themselves...blaming themselves..making themselves
wrong.
Are there other examples?

The self-punishment is *not* synonymous with worry. However, ruminating about
past behaviors with a concern for how others might view that behavior could
certainly be an example worry. I'm using the term "beat oneself up" more in
the sense of negative ruminations. For example in the cognitive theory for the
generation of depression, negative thoughts - which could be in relation to
either past, present, or future events - could lead to depressive symptoms.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Bruce J. Richman

Blind Joni

For example in the cognitive theory for the
generation of depression, negative thoughts - which could be in relation to
either past, present, or future events - could lead to depressive symptoms.

This makes sense...I believe that a big problem in this area is that many
individuals cannot keep the past from the present from the future.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

Your argument can presuppose that
you may actually worry about these past occurences popping up and biting you
in
the ass at a later date, but I'm talking about worrying in the present, and
how
the things in the past have led you to where you are at that moment, and what
you could have done to avoid your present predicament.

This is my whole perception...maybe more easily understood. Most have th past
all mixed up with the present and that gets mixed up with the future. Without
mechanisms to clear this up we have normal life.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY