RL

Default Recording clarinet/piano

I have been asked to record an audition (clarinet with piano
accompaniment) for a high school student. I have 2 decent condensor
mics, a Mackie 1202 VLZ and a Nomad Jukebox 3. I was thinking of
separate mics for piano and clarinet, then panning the channels hard
left and right and mixing them in sound forge. I don't think anyone
expects a pristine recording but I would like to do the best I can
with what I've got. Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks.
Richard Kuschel

I have been asked to record an audition (clarinet with piano
accompaniment) for a high school student. I have 2 decent condensor
mics, a Mackie 1202 VLZ and a Nomad Jukebox 3. I was thinking of
separate mics for piano and clarinet, then panning the channels hard
left and right and mixing them in sound forge. I don't think anyone
expects a pristine recording but I would like to do the best I can
with what I've got. Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks.

That isn't how it's done.

Put the two in a good room and set your microphones up in an ORTF arrangement
at a point in the room that you get a good balance from the instruments and the
room reverb.

Hit record. Transfer to CD. Done.
Richard H. Kuschel

Arny Krueger

"RL" wrote in message
om
I have been asked to record an audition (clarinet with piano
accompaniment) for a high school student. I have 2 decent condensor
mics, a Mackie 1202 VLZ and a Nomad Jukebox 3.

That and some mic stands makes a working set.

I was thinking of
separate mics for piano and clarinet, then panning the channels hard
left and right and mixing them in sound forge.

That can work.

I don't think anyone
expects a pristine recording but I would like to do the best I can
with what I've got. Any opinions/suggestions?

Any suggestions I'd make would involve more mics.

Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger wrote:
Any suggestions I'd make would involve more mics.

Whats wrong with a single stereo pair?

Regards,
Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger

"Stig Erik Tangen" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

Any suggestions I'd make would involve more mics.

What's wrong with a single stereo pair?

It forces you into a style of recording that is highly dependent on the
acoustics of the room, and the preferences of the listeners for a somewhat
distant sound.

Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger wrote:

Any suggestions I'd make would involve more mics.

What's wrong with a single stereo pair?

It forces you into a style of recording that is highly dependent on the
acoustics of the room, and the preferences of the listeners for a somewhat
distant sound.

Well yes, and it depends on the music style too of course. However -
recordings with a single stereo-pair dont have to sound "distant" at
all. Just place the mic pair closer to the performers...

Regards,
Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:

Any suggestions I'd make would involve more mics.

What's wrong with a single stereo pair?

It forces you into a style of recording that is highly dependent on
the acoustics of the room, and the preferences of the listeners for
a somewhat distant sound.

Well yes, and it depends on the music style too of course. However -
recordings with a single stereo-pair dont have to sound "distant" at
all. Just place the mic pair closer to the performers...

If that works as desired, then by all means do it.

TonyP

"Stig Erik Tangen" wrote in message
Well yes, and it depends on the music style too of course. However -
recordings with a single stereo-pair dont have to sound "distant" at
all. Just place the mic pair closer to the performers...

It will be hard to obtain a good sound from both piano and clarinet using a
single stereo pair IMO. But if you have the time, why not try both methods
during set up? Remember recording the instruments largely to separate tracks
will give you a lot more options in post production though.

TonyP.

Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger wrote:
Well yes, and it depends on the music style too of course. However -
recordings with a single stereo-pair dont have to sound "distant" at
all. Just place the mic pair closer to the performers...

If that works as desired, then by all means do it.

This guy's only got two mics, remember?

Regards,
Stig Erik Tangen

Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:

Well yes, and it depends on the music style too of course. However -
recordings with a single stereo-pair dont have to sound "distant" at
all. Just place the mic pair closer to the performers...

If that works as desired, then by all means do it.

This guy's only got two mics, remember?

Good mics aren't that expensive any more. Behringer ECM 8000 omnis make good
spot mics and are widly available at $39.95 each. Marshall MXL 603's wide
cardiods make even better spot mics and run $65-100 each.

Richard Kuschel

It will be hard to obtain a good sound from both piano and clarinet using a
single stereo pair IMO. But if you have the time, why not try both methods
during set up? Remember recording the instruments largely to separate tracks
will give you a lot more options in post production though.

TonyP.

No it isn't hard to obtain a good sound from both clarinet & piano from a
single stereo pair.

It just takes a few minutes of experimentation and decent ears.
Tthe original poster had indicated that this was for an audition and in that
instance I am presuming classical music. A slight tendency toward a distant
sound is what is generally preferred.

A clarinet sounds like crap when close mic'd. There is breath noise coupled
with key noise and the sound tends to be very uneven.
Richard H. Kuschel