t_cos

Default Better Speakers or Better Amplifier

What is your opinion on this - do I spend my money on better speakers
or better amps? Which makes more difference? Thanks a lot.

t_cos wrote:
} What is your opinion on this - do I spend my money on better speakers
} or better amps? Which makes more difference? Thanks a lot.

Better speakers. No contest.

--

Frank Ball

Dave Platt

} What is your opinion on this - do I spend my money on better speakers
} or better amps? Which makes more difference? Thanks a lot.

Better speakers. No contest.

Agreed, with the proviso that you should first check:

- whether your existing amp is capable of driving your _current_
speakers to the desired volume level, without clipping. Trying to
drive a set of inefficient, low-impedance speakers with an
underpowered low-current-capability amplifier could lead to
clipping and rather nasty sound.

- whether your existing amp is capable of driving your _new_ speakers
properly. Same issues apply as above.

In general, though, I entirely agree: audition the speakers you're
considering (ideally at home, in your own listening environment), pick
the ones which give you the sound you prefer, and then (if necessary)
consider upgrading your amp. The variation in sound quality among
loudspeakers is quite a bit larger, I believe, than the variation
between competently designed amplifiers used within their power and
impedance-drive range.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Frédéric Mathieu

And what about cd player versus speakers? I would go for the speakers in
this case too, but definitely with a smaller margin, and much hesitation. My
main argument being that *I assume* that a very, very good cd player using
very cheap mini-system speakers will sound even worse than a 50$ discman
using very, very good loudspeakers. (Using the same amplifier) Needless to
say, both cases would be absurd. What are your thoughts on this one?

"Dave Platt" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

Dave Platt

In article ,
Frédéric Mathieu wrote:

And what about cd player versus speakers? I would go for the speakers in
this case too, but definitely with a smaller margin, and much hesitation. My
main argument being that *I assume* that a very, very good cd player using
very cheap mini-system speakers will sound even worse than a 50$ discman
using very, very good loudspeakers.

Very likely correct. I believe that with most systems having decent
loudspeakers, you'd find it quite difficult to distinguish between
most competent CD players, and that the differences between CD players
are going to be a lot less than the differences between speakers.

A bit of history: some years back, one of the favorite CD players
among many golden-ear audiophiles was a relatively inexpensive
Discman-style portable player sold by Radio Shack.

(Using the same amplifier) Needless to
say, both cases would be absurd. What are your thoughts on this one?

My own opinion: if your existing system components are of reasonable
quality, _and_ if you have a reasonable amount of money to spend, then
I believe that upgrading speakers is going to make a good deal more of
a difference in the system's sound than spending the same amount of
money on a new CD player.

The only time I'd suggest going for a new CD player over new speakers
would be ones where you were limited to spending only a small amount
of money (less than the if-new value of your current speakers, for
example) and/or if you had reason to believe that your existing CD
player was malfunctioning or had a really significant design flaw.

I don't doubt that there are audible differences between various CD
players, but I believe that in most cases they're subtle enough that
you'd have to have top-notch equipment to hear them, and that they're
almost always more subtle than differences between different models of
loudspeaker system.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Tim Padrick

The best the speaker can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a
poor signal from the amp, and you'll get a poor signal from the speaker.
The best the amp can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a poor
signal from the CD player, and you'll get a poor signal out the other end.
Find a competent dealer who can do proper demonstrations and you'll hear
this easily.

"t_cos" wrote in message
om...
What is your opinion on this - do I spend my money on better speakers
or better amps? Which makes more difference? Thanks a lot.

Shrivel

"t_cos" wrote in message
om...
What is your opinion on this - do I spend my money on better speakers
or better amps? Which makes more difference? Thanks a lot.

My opinion has always been to spend the money at the ends of the "home
theater chain" - in other words, the first and the last things in the chain.
The first things are your source components and the last things are your
speakers, with speakers always having precedence. The things in the middle,
like receivers, amps, processors and cables might make a difference, but the
differences are much less noticeable.

BTM

TonyP

"Tim Padrick" wrote in message
The best the speaker can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it

poor signal from the amp, and you'll get a poor signal from the speaker.
The best the amp can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a

poor
signal from the CD player, and you'll get a poor signal out the other end.
Find a competent dealer who can do proper demonstrations and you'll hear
this easily.

If the testing is done *properly*, then you will find speakers are always
the weakest link in the chain. It makes absolutely no difference where in
the chain the weakest link resides.

TonyP.

Per Stromgren

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:54:50 -0500, "Tim Padrick"
wrote:

The best the speaker can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a
poor signal from the amp, and you'll get a poor signal from the speaker.
The best the amp can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a poor
signal from the CD player, and you'll get a poor signal out the other end.

That is correct. However, we have for a very long time had near
perfect CD players at a very low price. Hence, you cannot make the CD
signal any better than it is from a rather modest CD player. The
speakers, on the other hand, are far from perfect and they usually are
better if you spend more money. A typical 5000 dollar speaker is
nearly always better than a 100 dollar speaker. They same cannot be
said for CD players.

Amplifiers are somewhere in between: it is cheaper to reach a good
quality level (a level that cannot easiliy bet beaten) for a an
amplifier than for a speaker.

Per.

PS. The can't-do-better-than-what's-coming-in argument was a very
common one when Mr Tiefenbrun (the man behind Linn) was very active.

Ethan Winer

Cos,

do I spend my money on better speakers or better amps?

I'm astonished nobody asked what amp and speakers you have now. Without
knowing that it's impossible to suggest which might be the weaker link.

I'm also surprised nobody pointed out that your room is at least as
important as what speakers you have. It amazes when I see folks spend
$15,000 on speakers and then put them in a room with no bass traps or other
acoustic treatment.

--Ethan

Laurence Payne

wrote:

The best the speaker can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a
poor signal from the amp, and you'll get a poor signal from the speaker.
The best the amp can do is to reproduce just what is put in. Give it a poor
signal from the CD player, and you'll get a poor signal out the other end.
Find a competent dealer who can do proper demonstrations and you'll hear
this easily.

Electrical accuracy is an approachable goal for the player and amp.
But hardly a useful concept for speakers/listening room. You can't
shake a stick at "accuracy". Just go for what you like.