Jeff

Default Receiver Prob - Loose left channel at low volume

Hello,

I've searched the archives and I cant find this anywhere.

On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

Its an old ('93) Yamaha RXV-870 integrated receiver.

Im handy with soldering and stuff - so if I need to replace an IC or
cap that shouldnt be a problem. Hoping to solve this on my own
without taking it to a tech. If I would take to a tech how much would
it likely cost?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mathias Lenz

A common problem is the output relay. Clean the contacts and while you are
at it, clean anything that moves, like pots, and all switches, including
back panel switches.

Since this is only the case at low volumes I'd recomend to swap the volume
pot. You can try to clean it with contact spray or the like, but in 98% of
the cases this will have no effect.
Get a new pot and it will work!

Mathias

Mark D. Zacharias

You can try to clean it with contact spray or the like, but in 98% of
the cases this will have no effect.

Nonsense. Using a proper technique for cleaning the volume pot, it will work
well for years. One simply has to understand how they are built, and apply
cleaner where it counts. There's other considerations - blowing out with
compressed air before and after the cleaner is applied, for example.

As to the OP's problem, I'd lean towards the relay, at least to start as a
starting point.

Mark Z.

"Mathias Lenz" wrote in message
. ..
A common problem is the output relay. Clean the contacts and while you

are
at it, clean anything that moves, like pots, and all switches, including
back panel switches.

Since this is only the case at low volumes I'd recomend to swap the volume
pot. You can try to clean it with contact spray or the like, but in 98% of
the cases this will have no effect.
Get a new pot and it will work!

Mathias

Barry Mann

In , on 12/11/03
at 12:32 PM, (Jeff) said:

[ ... ]

On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

[ ... ]

Assume it is caused by the protection relay until proven otherwise.
Some protection relays can be opened and cleaned, but it is tricky to
get the case off without breaking it. Replacing the relay is the best
solution, however ...

There is a devious way to deal with this problem. On a Saturday
afternoon when no one is around (they'll think you have lost any
remaining marbles that you may have owned in your youth), with the
speakers connected, play something that is active and highly
compressed, such as a rock-n-roll radio station. With the volume
control turned up very high, to just below the destruct point, turn the
power off. (the speakers *MUST* be playing at the instant you turn off
the power -- and there is no need to allow the music to play for more
than a fraction of a second at this volume) Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.

In a few weeks, months, or years you may have to repeat the above.

To many, this procedure seems too simple and too bizarre to try. Many
years ago my engineer friends laughed when I described the procedure,
but after they though about it for a few seconds, they realized (duh!
-- smacking their heads) it is a valid technique and use it on their
own equipment.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Jeff

Good question, I havent tried this yet - I will.

If it does change what does this say? Do these use different output
stages when in mono/stereo or something - or if there is no change.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

Jeff

Hi there, thanks for the lead - just have a few quick questions.

Is there typically a relay for each channel - Left/Right/Centre/Rears?
Are they usually near the rear of the board?
Do they typically have a clear plastic cover which needs to be removed
to clean the contacts?

Thanks again,

Jeff

(Jeff) wrote:
On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

A common problem is the output relay. Clean the contacts and while you are at it, clean anything
that moves, like pots, and all switches, including back panel switches.

greg

Mathias Lenz

Nonsense. Using a proper technique for cleaning the volume pot, it will
work well for years. One simply has to understand how they are built, and
apply cleaner where it counts. There's other considerations - blowing out
with compressed air before and after the cleaner is applied, for example.

Fine If this worked for you, but consider then following:

The pot's resistance path is made from carbon (the worst type) or cermet.
(and I don't assume that this receiver is equipped with plastig pots by
Penny & Giles)

Carbon tends to get cracks and/or even breaks sometimes and there is a
considerable amount of wear on both carbon and cermet pots. There is no way
of fixing this with contact spray, compressed air,....

dickydoo

Try it first and lets know the outcome. Next step would be to swap the
speaker leads left and right to see what happens. I had trouble with my amp
a few months ago and it was the speaker relay. I changed it and it works
fine now.
om...

"Jeff" wrote in message
On low volumes I intermittantly loose my left channel - it kinda
fuzzes a bit and then goes off completely. If I turn up the volume it
comes back on.

dickydoo

Could also be a dry joint connecting the relay to cct board.

dickydoo

Could also be a dry joint connecting the relay to cct board.

dickydoo

Could also be a dry joint connecting the relay to cct board.

Mark D. Zacharias

Just don't be too surprised if the amp blows up.
The technique may indeed work - but consider the common light bulb. At
power-on or power-off is the most common time for it to fail. Sudden
application or removal of voltage causes current surges, and output
transistors change their physical characteristics a bit from thermal
expansion/contracting as the piece warms up and cools down. This is normal
wear and tear to be sure, but be aware you may be accelerating the process
significantly.

Mark Z.

Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
. com...
In , on 12/11/03
at 12:32 PM, (Jeff) said:

[ ... ]

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Just don't be too surprised if the amp blows up.
The technique may indeed work - but consider the common light bulb. At
power-on or power-off is the most common time for it to fail. Sudden
application or removal of voltage causes current surges, and output
transistors change their physical characteristics a bit from thermal
expansion/contracting as the piece warms up and cools down. This is normal
wear and tear to be sure, but be aware you may be accelerating the process
significantly.

Mark Z.

Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
. com...
In , on 12/11/03
at 12:32 PM, (Jeff) said:

[ ... ]

[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Just don't be too surprised if the amp blows up.
The technique may indeed work - but consider the common light bulb. At
power-on or power-off is the most common time for it to fail. Sudden
application or removal of voltage causes current surges, and output
transistors change their physical characteristics a bit from thermal
expansion/contracting as the piece warms up and cools down. This is normal
wear and tear to be sure, but be aware you may be accelerating the process
significantly.

Mark Z.

Repeat 30 times. At this
point, I'll bet your problem is gone.