WarpedFrets

Default Digital Output Cable Question

I know newsgroup people hate newbies... but I have a simple question. (I hope)

My brother owns the Boss bass processor GT-6B. It has a digital output which
uses an optical cable. I bought one and it fits my soundcard but not into his
processor.

All that is listed in his instruction manual is the following:EIAJ CP1201, S/P
DIF

I can find it mentioned randomly online but I'm not tech wise enough to
understand if this is the part/size of the cable he needs to get or if it's
just specs on the output.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, be it a website that might
have the answer or sharing any knowledge that you might have on the subject I'd
be more then greatly appreciative.

Thanks
-Frank
dickydoo

According to this web site it uses a co-ax cable.What does the socket look
like ?
http://proaudiomusic.com/misc/effect.../boss_gt6b.htm
"WarpedFrets" wrote in message
[...]

WarpedFrets

"What does the socket look
like ?"

The socket is round. I picked up what i suppose is a standard optical cable,
like what would come with a minidisc player. The ends are square but have a
circular adapter.

The only problem is that while round, the adapter is too big for the socket on
the unit.

Thanks for taking the time to help.
-Frank

WarpedFrets

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use with a
minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

Jeff Wiseman

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use with a
minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

It is either an "optical out" or a "coaxial" out. It cannot be
both and these two items are very different beasts. If it is a
coaxial cable connector of some sort, then forget the optical
cable--it cannot be used.

It sounds like you may have something like an RCA or BNC
electrical jack intended to mate with a 75ohm digital coaxial cable.

There are only two or so common standard optical connectors and
what you describe doesn't sound like any of them. Where have you
gotten the idea that it is an optical out?

- Jeff

pc user

On 2003-12-02, Jeff Wiseman wrote:

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use with a
minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

It is either an "optical out" or a "coaxial" out. It cannot be
both and these two items are very different beasts. If it is a
coaxial cable connector of some sort, then forget the optical
cable--it cannot be used.

It sounds like you may have something like an RCA or BNC
electrical jack intended to mate with a 75ohm digital coaxial cable.

There are only two or so common standard optical connectors and
what you describe doesn't sound like any of them. Where have you
gotten the idea that it is an optical out?

- Jeff

I've seen adaptors for the "regular" optical cable so that the end piece
is like a 3.5 mini-plug; supposedly some portable cd players have
optical input/output that connects via a 3.5 miniplug type connector.

Then my receiver has a digital coaxial input that requires a 3.5 mini-plug
so that it can be connected to a computer; I was able to use a coax/miniplug
adaptor to a coaxial cable to connect my laser disc player..

Without seeing the manual & specs, connection types are getting more & more
complicated..
pc user

Arny Krueger

"Jeff Wiseman" wrote in message

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use
with a minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

It is either an "optical out" or a "coaxial" out. It cannot be
both and these two items are very different beasts. If it is a
coaxial cable connector of some sort, then forget the optical
cable--it cannot be used.

Ironically, that's not exactly true. Many portable digital recorders and
players use a jack that accepts both standard 1/8" stereo headphone type
plugs for analog and an digital optical connector that looks like a plastic
headphone plug with an extended tip.

WarpedFrets

First off... thank you guys very much for trying to help.

"Where have you gotten the idea that it is an optical out?"

Sorry... my brother was calling it an optical out. The unit itself says Digital
Out.

It says nothing about the wire or jack letting you know whats needed anywhere
in the manual. The main Specifications at the back of the instructions does
however list digital out as: "EIAJ CP1201, S/P DIF"

The website states,"Balanced XLR output and coaxial digital output for
recording"

That's the only place I can find it mentioned as coaxial.

I had hoped I could get him this cable so he could run the thing into the
digital input on an Audigy 2 sound card so he could record stuff like that. I'm
starting to guess that it might not be.

Jeff Wiseman

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use
with a minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

It is either an "optical out" or a "coaxial" out. It cannot be
both and these two items are very different beasts. If it is a
coaxial cable connector of some sort, then forget the optical
cable--it cannot be used.

Ironically, that's not exactly true. Many portable digital recorders and
players use a jack that accepts both standard 1/8" stereo headphone type
plugs for analog and an digital optical connector that looks like a plastic
headphone plug with an extended tip.

Interesting. So it's the same jack on the unit that can have
either a stereo headphone plug or a special digital optic plugged
into it?

WarpedFrets

"Interesting. So it's the same jack on the unit that can have either a stereo
headphone plug or a special digital optic plugged into it?"

No but they sell a similar device.

This is a seperate jack.

dickydoo

The stock list number is just another way they can get your dough. Take the
unit into an electronics supplier and buy the appropriate jack and cable and
get them to put a plug on the other end for the PC's sound card. Or if you
can use a soldering iron buy the parts and make one yourself.
[...]

Arny Krueger

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is it a guitar jack."

No, it's an optical out...

It's smaller then the round fiber optic chords that you would use
with a minisdisc recorder.

It's a coaxial cable... or so it says.

It is either an "optical out" or a "coaxial" out. It cannot be
both and these two items are very different beasts. If it is a
coaxial cable connector of some sort, then forget the optical
cable--it cannot be used.

Ironically, that's not exactly true. Many portable digital recorders
and players use a jack that accepts both standard 1/8" stereo
headphone type plugs for analog and an digital optical connector
that looks like a plastic headphone plug with an extended tip.

Interesting. So it's the same jack on the unit that can have
either a stereo headphone plug or a special digital optic plugged
into it?

Right. I have one on my Nomad Jukebox 3, along with the matching cables.
Also seen on portable minidisc recorders.

Arny Krueger

"WarpedFrets" wrote in message

First off... thank you guys very much for trying to help.

"Where have you gotten the idea that it is an optical out?"

Sorry... my brother was calling it an optical out. The unit itself
says Digital Out.

It can be both optical and digital.

It says nothing about the wire or jack letting you know whats needed
anywhere in the manual. The main Specifications at the back of the
instructions does however list digital out as: "EIAJ CP1201, S/P DIF"

Optical digital is often called optical SP/DIF.

The website states,"Balanced XLR output and coaxial digital output for
recording"

Coaxial digital sounds like SP/DIF with a regular RCA jack.

That's the only place I can find it mentioned as coaxial.

Is this a picture of the device in question?

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/floor_based_units_1.html

The text says that the digital output is "coaxial". The picture shows an
appropriately-labeled yellow RCA jack which is always a digital coaxial
output.

I had hoped I could get him this cable so he could run the thing into
the digital input on an Audigy 2 sound card so he could record stuff
like that. I'm starting to guess that it might not be.

WarpedFrets

"Is this a picture of the device in question?"
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/floor_based_units_1.html

That's the guitar version of what is the equivalent model... so it is basically
the same thing. I'm confused through. This is where I'm glad the internet and
newsgroups exist.

How the hell do you know it's an RCA jack and that RCA is always a digital
coaxial output. I NEVER knew that.

Jeff Wiseman

WarpedFrets wrote:

"Is this a picture of the device in question?"
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/floor_based_units_1.html

That's the guitar version of what is the equivalent model... so it is basically
the same thing. I'm confused through. This is where I'm glad the internet and
newsgroups exist.

How the hell do you know it's an RCA jack and that RCA is always a digital
coaxial output. I NEVER knew that.

First, RCA is NOT necessarily a digital coaxial output.

The "S/P DIF" refers to a consumer version of a digital audio
interface standard. The standard defines how information is
packed into the bitstream. It also defines the interface method
(i.e. "jack") as well. The trick is that the standard defines
BOTH an "optical" interface format (usually know as TOSlink) and
a "coaxial" (or electrical) format. The coaxial format per the
standard requires the use of an RCA (i.e. "phono") style
connection or a BNC type connection.

Therefo

"S/P DIF coaxial" means a digital audio connection that is
electrical and uses either an RCA or BNC connector and requires a
75 ohm coaxial cable to be used.

"S/P DIF optical" means a digital audio connection that is
optical and uses the TOSlink type mating plugs.

RCA plugs can (and are) used for audio, video, digital, and even
RF connections but by convention, they are typically colored
yellow for digital and composite video application. RCA plug
pairs used for stereo line level signals are typically colored
red (for the right channel) and white (for the left channel).

The EIAJ CP-1201 is another digital interface standard that also
applys to the protocol of the bitstream although I'm not certain
what it contains.

If the picture previously indicated is what your unit's connector
looks like, then you have a digital (using the S/P DIF protocol)
coaxial connector. You will need a 75ohm coax cable terminated
with at least one RCA plug to terminate on that unit.

There is no optics involved here.

Hope this helps.

- Jeff

Stewart Pinkerton

On 03 Dec 2003 01:59:58 GMT, (WarpedFrets) wrote:

"Is this a picture of the device in question?"
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/floor_based_units_1.html

That's the guitar version of what is the equivalent model... so it is basically
the same thing. I'm confused through. This is where I'm glad the internet and
newsgroups exist.

How the hell do you know it's an RCA jack and that RCA is always a digital
coaxial output. I NEVER knew that.

An RCA jack is readily identifiable, and what he said was that a
*yellow* jack is always a digital output. In the audio sense, that's
true (red is right channel and white is left channel), although it's
also the standard code for a composite video output jack. On the back
of a 7.1 channel AV amplifier, it's a positive rainbow back there! :-)

Arny Krueger

"WarpedFrets" wrote in message

"Is this a picture of the device in question?"
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/floor_based_units_1.html

That's the guitar version of what is the equivalent model... so it is
basically the same thing. I'm confused through. This is where I'm
glad the internet and newsgroups exist.

How the hell do you know it's an RCA jack

It looked so much like a RCA jack!

and that RCA is always a digital coaxial output.

In the context of a piece of pro audio gear, that's true. The fact that it
was labeled as digital audio had a lot to do with my conclusion.

I wouldn't recommend that you conclude that all yellow RCA jacks, no matter
how they are labeled, are digital coaxial audio outputs.

As others have pointed out, the likely use of a yellow RCA jack depends on
the type of equipment. On the back of a VCR a yellow RCA jack is far, far
more likely to be a video jack. But it won't be labeled as being digital
audio.

I NEVER knew that.

I've worked with a fair amount of gear over the years, both digital audio
and otherwise. But really, the fact that it was a Yellow RCA jack that was
labeled as digital audio made it a slam dunk.

WarpedFrets

Thanks guys!!!

I'll print all this stuff and reread it in the am. It's 4 am and you're all way
smarter then me. So hopefully I'll figure out what I need to get the kid from
what you all explained to me.

Damn, I feel so stupid... But I'm VERY GREATFUL for all of the help!

-Frank

normanstrong

Ironically, that's not exactly true. Many portable digital

recorders
and players use a jack that accepts both standard 1/8" stereo
headphone type plugs for analog and an digital optical connector
that looks like a plastic headphone plug with an extended tip.

Interesting. So it's the same jack on the unit that can have
either a stereo headphone plug or a special digital optic plugged
into it?

Right. I have one on my Nomad Jukebox 3, along with the matching

cables.
Also seen on portable minidisc recorders.

Simple question. Is there a jack that handles both coax and optical
digital input? I've seen ones that handle either optical or analog
signals, but I haven't seen one that does both types of digital
inputs.

Norm Strong

Richard Crowley

"normanstrong" wrote in message

Ironically, that's not exactly true. Many portable digital

recorders
and players use a jack that accepts both standard 1/8" stereo
headphone type plugs for analog and an digital optical connector
that looks like a plastic headphone plug with an extended tip.

Interesting. So it's the same jack on the unit that can have
either a stereo headphone plug or a special digital optic plugged
into it?

Right. I have one on my Nomad Jukebox 3, along with the matching

cables.
Also seen on portable minidisc recorders.

Simple question. Is there a jack that handles both coax and optical
digital input? I've seen ones that handle either optical or analog
signals, but I haven't seen one that does both types of digital
inputs.

As they observed in the postings just previous to this one,
many Sony MD portable devices have what appears to be a
conventional 1/8-inch (3.5mm) stereo mini-phone jack for
analog out, but they have a LED at the end that enables the
same "jack" to accept a special "TOSlink" optical fibre
with a jack that looks like 3.5mm mini-phone. Dunno if
anyone besides Sony does this, however.

Of course you can buy adapters that convert optical TOSlink
to electrical SPDIF (and vice-versa).