A. & G. Reiswig

Default Bass traps: Auralex or ???

Hi, all,
I have a small room that I am trying to get into the tolerable range for
mixing in. At the suggestion of someone on this list, I had downloaded a
trial version of software, and after hooking it up to an Earthworks
measurement mic and doing a couple of noise bursts, I have anomalies in my
room, most dramatically an apparent null at 92Hz and peak at 102Hz, with a
50db difference between them. Then a rather broad dip (very peaky, but a
general dip) in response centered at about 150Hz but going about 40Hz in
either direction. That's the one that I've heard the most. All
measurements taken at or near my normal listening position in the room.
Anyway, I clearly have a problem. From research online, it would appear
that I need some sort of fairly broadband absorber. What is not clear is
whether it would be better, or as good, to buy $350 worth of Auralex "Atom
12" corner traps or take a chance and try to make some flat panel traps with
plywood surfaces and rigid fiberglass behind that. The Auralex would
clearly be easier to apply, given that I wouldn't have to remove bookshelves
to apply it, etc. But it isn't clear whether they absorb low enough for
what I need. I have already tried to make some bass traps in two of the
corners by putting 3' x 5' cubicle partitions across two of the corners, and
filling the space behind them with down comforters and old sleeping bags.
Apparently, it ain't cutting it.
I know I'm asking a lot, but I'd appreciate input on this. My room is
basically 10.5' x 11' x 8'. If you have some experience with both Auralex
and panel traps, I'd love to hear about the practical differences.

Best,

George Reiswig
Song of the River Music

Leoaw3

Check out www.realtraps.com

-lee-
Deaf Mellon MESA

"A. & G. Reiswig" wrote in message . ..
[...]

George,
I have Auralex Lenerds and Mini-Traps in my studio. Dimentions are 21'
x 10' x 8'. I installed the Lenerds prior to the Real Traps
Mini-Traps. The Mini Traps are the hands down winner. I always had
standing wave troubles until the Real Traps were installed. My room
sounds much cleaner, mixes translate better,
and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of them. FWIW, Ethan Winer talked
me out of building my own traps in favor of the Mini- Traps. He was
right!

DaveT
Blind Joni

I also experimented a little. That rigid fiberglass is great. I'll
never waste money on Auralex again.

The Auralex do it yourself kits sold at Guitar Center's and such are real
crap..the acoustic foam is very low density and practically worthless. Everyone
I know who has used Real Traps loves them..and with a little research you can
build your own.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.