Vigor

Default I need to remove singers voice

Hi all,

this is OT I guess. I need to remove/suppress singers voice on some mp3s,
but I don't know which software to use. Is that even possible? I would
appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Vigor
Scott Dorsey

In article , Vigor wrote:

this is OT I guess. I need to remove/suppress singers voice on some mp3s,
but I don't know which software to use. Is that even possible? I would
appreciate any help.

Look for the Thompson Vocal Eliminator. The early hardware boxes removed
everything common to both channels and gave you a mono L-R signal, but with
the low end L+R signal added so the bass in the center didn't disappear.

The software version is a little bit smarter, but still relies on the vocal
being mixed to the center and being completely mono without any stereo
ambience.

The problem you're going to run into, though, is that the MP3 compression
process can really screw with the L-R data. If it's at all possible to get
a clean uncompressed file, you'll be a lot better off.
Pooh Bear

I sympathise.

Graham

Ethan Winer

Vigor,

I need to remove/suppress singers voice on some mp3s

Scott gave you the right answer. You can sometimes do a decent job reducing
the level of vocals if you start with a clean Wave file. It's pretty well
impossible to do this once it's been converted to an MP3 file.

--Ethan

Romeo Rondeau

"Vigor" wrote in message
Hi all,

this is OT I guess. I need to remove/suppress singers voice on some mp3s,
but I don't know which software to use. Is that even possible? I would
appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Vigor

You don't need any special software per se, just an editor. Combone both
channels to mono, flipping the phase on one channel. Then roll off some bass
from one of the channels and tada! Instant ****! :-) Your mileage may vary
on the mp3's and depending on how the vocal was mixed. The reverb from the
vocal will still be there if it was a stereo reverb in the original mix.
Also the kick won't sound great (if you can identify it all in the mix) and
a lot of the snare will disappear. Good luck!

Arny Krueger

Vigor wrote:

this is OT I guess. I need to remove/suppress singers voice on some
mp3s, but I don't know which software to use. Is that even possible?

In the simple cases, removing the vocal is simple. In the complex cases it
is complex or even impossible.

Here's a simple one - for the *right* price:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...o/vremover.htm

William Sommerwerck

I don't know about software, but one way to do it is to run the signal through a
Dolby ProLogic (or similar) decoder.

When the decoder is set for three-channel (L/C/R) operation, it will attempt to
remove all mono components (which include the singer and any centered
instruments) from the Left and Right tracks.

The catch is that there will be some audible artifacts of the removal in the
processed left and right channels. But if you don't try, you won't know...