Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default A reasonable argument against double blind tests?

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:18:44 -0400, "Clyde Slick"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:14:11 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

(paul packer) said:

Actually Sander, you've already said it all, with your overbearing
tone,
childish name-calling and dismissive attitude.

Why don't you just post:

"I'm smarter than you are, naaa-naaa-nah-naaa-nah."

Oh Arnie, you always miss the bullseye, but this time you've missed
the whole dart board. Of all the people you could have accused of
those sins, you had to pick Sander!

What bothers Arny most, is that this low-IQ, childish name-calling
prick with his dismissive attitude and overbearing tone, actually has
a (paid) job in the field that Arny so desperately wants to belong to.

If you were any kind of decent person you'd hand that job over to
Arnie immediately. You know he can do it better anyway.

That, combined with my ability to mock and mimic his "Krooglish" to a
T (and beyond), places me firmly in the "Middius Camp", as far as Arny
is concerned of course.

Mimicking "Krooglish" doesn't bother Arnie. He hasn't yet officially
recognised that such a thing exists.

Dear God........

A mirror for Arnie, quick.....

Don't bother, Paul.
When someone grows up to over 50 years old and still doesn't know
himself, he never will.

I think Arnie's over 60, isn't he? Dear God.....

He is 58 or 59

Is that all? But he's been on RAO for 53 years. That means he was 5 or
6 when he started.

Gee, and his early posts are so mature....
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:04:15 -0700, "ScottW"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:58:29 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

Jenn said to the Krooborg:

By the way, listen to any Monte Verdi lately? eh eh

Do I detect a lack of pity in your gibe at Mr. ****? Maybe you're trying
make him cry again.

Jenn is actually tracing the path of degeneration Arnie imposes on all
new posters. You start off nice and reasonable. Then Arnie replies to
one of your posts in his inimitable way. You make allowances, decide
he's just eccentric and ignore him. Then he answers another of your
posts with a half-snide remark. Still you ignore him. Then he makes an
out-and-out attack. This time you decide to hit back. Suddenly you
find yourself in a fully-fledged "debating trade" war--a war you only
half understand because Arnie's replies never quite seem to make
sense. Eventually you pull out to save your sanity, but soon you find
Arnie attacking you in every thread, using your name as if it's going
out of style. You decide enough is enough and go after him. Flame wars
break out everywhere. It goes on and on until you begin to tire,
though Arnie never tires. Finally you decide it just isn't worth
trying to decipher Arnie's cryptic thought processes and fall back on
mockery. Thus the words "eh eh" (alternatively, "he he") start to
creep into your posts. You feel a little guilty, because up to now
you've always been a nice person who never mocked anyone, even the
biggest dag in the schoolyard, but underneath you know Arnie's brought
it all on himself several times over. In any case, whenever your guilt
becomes too much and you decide to desist, Arnie mounts another
unprovoked attack, as if he misses your punishment. So you decide to
give him what he wants on a full-time basis, like everyone else. Thus
your inevitable degeneration is complete, from innocent, sunny poster
to malevolent, snarling Arnie basher. You hate yourself every morning,
but every night you get back on line and bash Arnie again, because
it's one of Usenet's great activities, and because he deserves it so
much.

and you bitch about my offtopic ****. .....

ScottW

You think this is off-topic? I thought it was dead-on.

Do you realize what a sad testament to the state of this
group you just made?

BTW, I never "bitch". It's just not something I do. :-)

You can't argue with perception.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:45:41 -0400, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

There are also those who are brass-tacks oriented as hell with their
everyday life, and they need an outlet that lets them speculate and ignore
hard data. Audio fills the bill for some of them, and high-end audio fills
the bill best of all.

Howard has once again assumed the mantle of all-knowing psychoanalyst. It
is absolutely amazing how he get's inside all our heads, while we in the
real world find it very difficult to accurately guess where other people are
at in their internal views and motivations.

Well, Howard's retired now, so I guess any time trying to guess the
internal motivations of others gets you down you could send him a
quick email. He's usually out the back whittling until the sun gets
too hot---or something.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:15:16 -0700, "ScottW"
wrote:

You think this is off-topic? I thought it was dead-on.

Do you realize what a sad testament to the state of this
group you just made?

Indeed. That's why I made it.

BTW, I never "bitch". It's just not something I do. :-)

You can't argue with perception.

No, but you can alter it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Signal said:

You *know* I wouldn't stand a chance if my employer knew someone like
Arny was out looking for a job like mine.

Why would Arny demote himself to doing what you do? He's already got
the worlds best job, most satisfying career, the most admiration and
respect that any living person has ever had, in the world, ever.

Of course you're right, how could I forget.

He once developed the technology used in Neve consoles as well, so he
doesn't have to "prove it!" anymore ;-)

To quote The Great Man himself: "Been there, done that! ;-) "

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Annika1980 Annika1980 is offline

Sander deWaal wrote:
Put a single 24 dB/oct. Butterworth low pass filter with a corner
frequency of 20 kHz between your source and your amp.
You think you'll notice?

Right.

Now put 10 of them in series between source and amp.
Do you think you'll notice?

I hope this ain't too scientific for ya.

But we aren't discussing differences between a series of 10 audio
components are we?

And the point is that if two amps sound identical and you put those 10
filters on each of them, the resulting sound from each would still be
identical since they both would be changed in the same way.

If A=B, then (A * 10x)=(B * 10x)

I know that's complicated for ya, so I'll simplify the formula:

WIRE = WIRE !!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Annika1980" said:

Put a single 24 dB/oct. Butterworth low pass filter with a corner
frequency of 20 kHz between your source and your amp.
You think you'll notice?

Right.

Now put 10 of them in series between source and amp.
Do you think you'll notice?

I hope this ain't too scientific for ya.

But we aren't discussing differences between a series of 10 audio
components are we?

I thought we were.
If not, accept my apologies.

And the point is that if two amps sound identical and you put those 10
filters on each of them, the resulting sound from each would still be
identical since they both would be changed in the same way.

If A=B, then (A * 10x)=(B * 10x)

The answer to that is 42, as you damn well know!

I know that's complicated for ya, so I'll simplify the formula:

WIRE = WIRE !!!

"Uh,..... it's like, THIS I can understand, dude!" ;-)

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

Put a single 24 dB/oct. Butterworth low pass filter with
a corner frequency of 20 kHz between your source and your
amp.

24 dB/oct isn't all that steep.

You think you'll notice?

Possibly, due to residual effects at lower frequencies. It's on the edge.
Offhand, a 20 KHz 24 dB/oct is something like 0.5 dB down at 15 KHz.

There's a reason why I used far steeper filters in my similar experiments
that people can try for themselves at

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/low_pass/index.htm

and

http://www.pcabx.com/technical/sample_rates/index.htm

Now put 10 of them in series between source and amp.

Thus stacking up 10 possibly audible, small differences.

Do you think you'll notice?

Probably, and you might not have to work all that hard at hearing it.

I hope this ain't too scientific for ya.

The PCABX site has thousand's of happy users.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Arny Krueger" said:

The PCABX site has thousand's of happy users.

So does crack heroin.

Sorry, I'm not in love with (PC)ABX.

BTW it's "thousands", no apostrophe.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Sander deWaal said to PunctuationAbuseBorg:

The PCABX site has thousand's of happy users.

BTW it's "thousands", no apostrophe.

Thank's Mr. Dwewal for, admitting Mr. Deewell that you have nothing,
better to do with your time than nit-picking on trivially-inconsequential
typo's Mr. dEwall.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

said:

Sander deWaal said to PunctuationAbuseBorg:

The PCABX site has thousand's of happy users.

BTW it's "thousands", no apostrophe.

Thank's Mr. Dwewal for, admitting Mr. Deewell that you have nothing,
better to do with your time than nit-picking on trivially-inconsequential
typo's Mr. dEwall.

Well, it's nothing, really.

If a million monkeys typing away on a million typewriters for a
million years should be able to create a Shakespear masterpiece,
shouldn't pointing out spelling errors to Arny by a million RAO users
for a million years have a positive influence on Arny's (ab)use of the
language?

I'm an optimistic person.

We Dutch have too much free time on our hands, however.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal said:

Thank's Mr. Dwewal for, admitting Mr. Deewell that you have nothing,
better to do with your time than nit-picking on trivially-inconsequential
typo's Mr. dEwall.

Well, it's nothing, really.

Thanks for admitting you're Usenet oeuvre amounts to nothing Sander's.

If a million monkeys typing away on a million typewriters for a
million years should be able to create a Shakespear masterpiece,
shouldn't pointing out spelling errors to Arny by a million RAO users
for a million years have a positive influence on Arny's (ab)use of the
language?

I beg you to consider the flip side of the million-monkeys scenario: How
much Krooglish would the ignorant primates generate while striving to
replicate a single gem of literature?

We Dutch have too much free time on our hands, however.

Come back when, you have a real job in the audio business. LOt"S!

;-)

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

said:

Thank's Mr. Dwewal for, admitting Mr. Deewell that you have nothing,
better to do with your time than nit-picking on trivially-inconsequential
typo's Mr. dEwall.

Well, it's nothing, really.

Thanks for admitting you're Usenet oeuvre amounts to nothing Sander's.

My "usenet career" is indeed negligible compared to some other audio
geniuses I know. So be it, we can't all be Kruegers or even Ferstlers.

If a million monkeys typing away on a million typewriters for a
million years should be able to create a Shakespear masterpiece,
shouldn't pointing out spelling errors to Arny by a million RAO users
for a million years have a positive influence on Arny's (ab)use of the
language?

I beg you to consider the flip side of the million-monkeys scenario: How
much Krooglish would the ignorant primates generate while striving to
replicate a single gem of literature?

Ouch!

We Dutch have too much free time on our hands, however.

Come back when, you have a real job in the audio business. LOt"S!

You mean like recording church choirs and boasting about it on usenet?

;-)

Oh well.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal said:

We Dutch have too much free time on our hands, however.

Come back when, you have a real job in the audio business. LOt"S!

You mean like recording church choirs and boasting about it on usenet?

You wish Mr. Dwlale.

;-)

Oh well.

Are you back already?

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..

The PCABX site has thousand's of happy users.

Crackeads, all!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Stuart Krivis said:

"teached"

The past tense of teach is taught. (Please don't take my correction as
an insult.)

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Sander deWaal said:

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

Look's like Mr.BeWare has, at least some day's to learn his business. ;-)
Its like a dictionary can, lead you to a DAw but can it teach learn how you
to think, mucH? Just for grin's lets, talk about you're favorite rock band
Sander.

any attemp to describe the band's music should include the rockmusical
basis of the songs, the thrilling arrangements and the absence of common
rock- guitars and vocals.

covering an enormous emotional range, the songs with their futuristic
atmosphere cannot be compared to anything else.

Thank's Mr. Devill for, thonking about your airudishion, LOt"s.

;-)

;-(

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without radiation poisoning.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Stuart Krivis said:

"teached"

The past tense of teach is taught. (Please don't take my correction as
an insult.)

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

The past tense of tight is taut

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

said:

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

Look's like Mr.BeWare has, at least some day's to learn his business. ;-)
Its like a dictionary can, lead you to a DAw but can it teach learn how you
to think, mucH? Just for grin's lets, talk about you're favorite rock band
Sander.

The RoHS Orchestra featuring WEEE-zer playing: "Lead it Free!"

Me, frustrated? ;-)

That's a LIE!!!

any attemp to describe the band's music should include the rockmusical
basis of the songs, the thrilling arrangements and the absence of common
rock- guitars and vocals.

Which leaves us with bassoons, only. Well done!

covering an enormous emotional range, the songs with their futuristic
atmosphere cannot be compared to anything else.

I prefer a cappuccino, myself.

Again, a lie. What a surprise! ;-)

Thank's Mr. Devill for, thonking about your airudishion, LOt"s.

Erudition means nothing these days, people don't get educated anymore,
they get Googled.
King Of The Newsgroup, anyone? ;-)

;-)

Uh.

;-(

Ah.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" said:

"teached"

The past tense of teach is taught. (Please don't take my correction as
an insult.)

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

The past tense of tight is taut

Thaunk yau.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" said:

"teached"

The past tense of teach is taught. (Please don't take my correction as
an insult.)

You're right, of course.
What have I been thonking? ;-)

The past tense of tight is taut

Thaunk yau.

The past tense of think is thunk
The past tense of thank is I'm sorry.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Any blind listening tests on Class A vs Class B amps? Don Pearce Tech 18 October 28th 05 05:44 PM
Richman's ethical lapses Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 9 December 12th 03 08:16 AM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM