Default Well-Tempered Turntable

Assuming the speed is constant you could alter the size of the pully on
the motor. Make it smaller to increase the speed.

errr, uhhhmmmm, make it larger. damn it's late....

Rich Andrews

"wß" wrote in news:9jGLb.106724$Dp5.29037
@fe3.columbus.rr.com:

"chris berbaum" wrote:

There's just the drive wheel attached directly to the motor shaft,
with a slotted belt position for 33 rpm and one for 45 rpm, ... the
belt then wraps around the outside of the platter. The platter bearing
actually sits in a well of lubricant, so no problem there. I used a
test record with an A=440 Hz tone, along a 12 TET scale, and a
Peterson Virtual Strobe tuner that indicates of +/- cents of a
semitone. I suppose the only thing to do is to try to find a
replacement motor that I can test and then count on. It just a shame
'cause the table itself sounds great, and as long as there's no pitch
reference around, I was able to "suspend disbelief". But now I know,

appreciate the help, chris b.

"Robert Gault" wrote in message
chris berbaum wrote:
Hello,

I have a turntable called "Well-Tempered", and while it has an
unusual design, and sounds quite nice, I've found that the
belt-drive motor is

about
25 cents flat/slow. There is no strobe or pitch adjustment, but the

motor is
actually separately mounted, and connected only by the half-twisted

belt.
Can I use a variac to increase the voltage to tune up the pitch?

Thanks, chris b.

Assuming the motor speed can't be adjusted, how is the belt connected
to the motor? If there is a drive wheel or capstan which can be made
slightly larger, the belt will move faster and the pitch will rise.

What test was made of the speed that you are sure it is slow? Is
there excessive friction anywhere in the system? Dried bearing
lubricant for example.

Assuming the speed is constant you could alter the size of the pully on
the motor. Make it smaller to increase the speed.

Don't you mean bigger?

chris berbaum wrote:
[...]

my bad, yes, increase the diameter.

wb - whose slip in logic will now live on forever thanks to Google....

CJT

:

chris berbaum wrote:

[...]

Don't you just hate when that happens? g

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

Geoff Wood

Alan Peterman wrote:

You need a slightly larger diameter "drive wheel" to speed up the
belt, and thusly the driven main turntable. Depending on the
material you might be able to get the diameter a bit bigger by merely
plating the "drive wheel" - which I usually call the capstan - with
some paint. You could be REALLY scientific and accurately measure
the diameter of the capstan, then figure that it needs to be enlarged
by about 1.5% of the original diameter.

Unless the design measurements were faulty originally, or it's a very cold
day and the drive 'pulley' has shrunk (or the platter has expanded) there is
something else wrong.

The laws of physics haven't changed, so either:
- the motor needs a lub
- the belt is slipping
- your mains frequency is off
- It is not a synchronous motor but DC and the control electronics needs
adjusting
- your measurement equipment is out of calibration
- something else I haven't thought of.

geoff

CJT

Geoff Wood wrote:
Alan Peterman wrote:

[...]

I don't recall whether the age of the turntable was given, but it's
possible wear is a factor.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the
mirror image of what you see before the "@" symbol. It's a shame such
steps are necessary. ...Charlie

Richard Crowley

"Geoff Wood" wrote ...
Unless the design measurements were faulty originally,
or it's a very cold day and the drive 'pulley' has shrunk
(or the platter has expanded) there is something else wrong.

The laws of physics haven't changed, so either:
- the motor needs a lub
- the belt is slipping
- your mains frequency is off
- It is not a synchronous motor but DC and the control
electronics needs adjusting
- your measurement equipment is out of calibration
- something else I haven't thought of.

Lousy manufacturing QC
Lose specs ("50 cents is close enough")

Ian

"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in message
Alan Peterman wrote:

[...]

I would be suspicious of the belt. These stretch with age/use, which might
reduce the tension, increasing slip.

Regards
Ian