Howard Davis

Default Syntrillium Cool Edit 2000 - support?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"Howard Davis" wrote in message

A few months ago - in July - I purchased Cool Edit 2000 from
Syntrillium Software.
BIG MISTAKE!

I used it one time, along with Feurio CD Manager, to do
post-production work on a studio recorded master. It took a bit of
time but I was successful. Now I am attempting to use it again, but
it appears defective, unable to import files from Feurio.

How do you know that the problem isn't Feurio's fault or a fault of your
procedures?

Because I do the same things I did in the past but get no results. I cannot
prove it, but the problem appears to be with Cool Edit 2000.

What sort of support are you getting from the people who support Feurio?

Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but unlike
CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on CD), it STILL
WORKS.

Arny Krueger

"Brian Takei" wrote in message
. net
Arny Krueger ) in article 0aidnXvERZJGTQqiRVn-
wrote:

There is some justice.

Try finding a new model Diamond video card for sale. AFAIK, mission
impossible.

If I've got this right, Diamond changed their name to Sonic Blue and
now mostly pump MP3 players.

I believe Diamond has been around since the early 80's, and well
regarded by many in its day. They're perhaps best known by many these
days for defending themselves against the RIAA, who sued them
[unsuccessfully] a few years ago to try and prevent the release of the
Diamond Rio mp3 player.

I remember that. It was about the time I did this test report on the Diamond
Rio for my PCAVTech web site:

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/Fra...-Rio/index.htm

I don't know all the details, but they've had problems and AFAIK, got
bought out by S3 maybe 5 years ago, and S3's name was subsequently
changed to Sonic Blue, who filed for bankruptcy this year.

S3 used to be a top video card chip producer, but they had a messy
transition to AGP and in the end couldn't keep up with Nvidia, Intel, ATI
and the rest.

I see here
that what remains has apparently being scooped up by Best Data
Products, Digital Networks, and maybe some others:
http://www.diamondmm.com

That page summarizes the messy works in a bit more detail.

At least they seem to be providing a driver archive for the time
being, which IIRC is an improvement over a few months ago when I was
looking for drivers for a flakey Diamond Supramax modem (with strong
resistance to buying a replacement since its basically just used for
faxing once in a blue moon).

I've benefited from their Phoenix-like driver archive over the past year as
well.

Neil Gould

Recently, Norbert Hahn posted:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:41:43 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

The only place they interfere that I know of is that setting changes
in Audition seem to show up in CEP 2.1 and vice-versa. That's either
a bug or a feature depending on your preferences.

That's somehow strange as CEP 2.1 stores the settings in the environ-
ment of the user (at least in Windows XP) in the folder

(snipped for brevity)

So... are you saying that the settings also interact on your system, or is
that peculiar to Arny's setup?

I've never missed the CD burning capabilites of CEP as I use Feurio
for that. It has lots of features to assist in layouting the CD. Otoh
I seldom use the track editor of Feurio which is rather simple.

In the past, I've used other non-integrated CD burning tools. However, I
prefer the approach used by CEP 2.1. In some ways, I would like to see
simpler access to some of the features, a la CD Architect, but there isn't
really much in the way of straight audio CDs that you can't do with the
CEP tool.

Neil

Richard Crowley

"Howard Davis" wrote ...-
Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but unlike
CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on CD), it STILL
WORKS.

Absent any 3rd party analysis of the file(s) in quesion (which you STILL
haven't identified), you are just guessing that the problem is with CE2K.
Since you say that it worked at one time, you hypotheses seems highly
unlikely.

If you dislike CE2K so much, you can likely sell it for as much
(or perhaps MORE) than what you paid for it.

Arny Krueger

"Howard Davis" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"Howard Davis" wrote in message

A few months ago - in July - I purchased Cool Edit 2000 from
Syntrillium Software.
BIG MISTAKE!

I used it one time, along with Feurio CD Manager, to do
post-production work on a studio recorded master. It took a bit of
time but I was successful. Now I am attempting to use it again, but
it appears defective, unable to import files from Feurio.

How do you know that the problem isn't Feurio's fault or a fault of
your procedures?

Because I do the same things I did in the past but get no results. I
cannot prove it, but the problem appears to be with Cool Edit 2000.

Exactly what kind of files are these that you can't load into Cool Edit?

What sort of support are you getting from the people who support
Feurio?

Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but
unlike CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on
CD), it STILL WORKS.

Are you saying that you can read the files created by Fuerio with other
programs?

Howard Davis

[...]

..wav files.
I have found that the transfer of files between Cool Edit and Feurio works
_occasionally_, and that yes, the problem may indeed be with Feurio. The
more I play with it, the more likely that seems.

What sort of support are you getting from the people who support
Feurio?

Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but
unlike CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on
CD), it STILL WORKS.

Are you saying that you can read the files created by Fuerio with other
programs?

I'm going to try that, using Easy CD Creator.

Howard Davis

"Howard Davis" wrote in message

snip

Exactly what kind of files are these that you can't load into Cool Edit?

.wav files.
I have found that the transfer of files between Cool Edit and Feurio works
_occasionally_, and that yes, the problem may indeed be with Feurio. The
more I play with it, the more likely that seems.

What sort of support are you getting from the people who support
Feurio?

Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but
unlike CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on
CD), it STILL WORKS.

Are you saying that you can read the files created by Fuerio with other
programs?

I'm going to try that, using Easy CD Creator.

No luck. Both CD Creator and Feurio are unable to import the needed .wav
files from Cool Edit. It appears that there are bugs in both Cool Edit AND
Feurio. I would expect that from freeware, but not something like Cool Edit
that I paid good money for.

Neil Gould

Recently, Howard Davis posted:

No luck. Both CD Creator and Feurio are unable to import the needed
.wav files from Cool Edit. It appears that there are bugs in both
Cool Edit AND Feurio. I would expect that from freeware, but not
something like Cool Edit that I paid good money for.

It's curious that your problems appear to be unique. Perhaps we could
provide some insights and help if you could be a little more specific
about what you are doing? Your previous messages left me with the
impression that you were trying to import files created by _Feurio_ into
CoolEdit. Now, it seems to be the opposite.

There are *many* flavors of .wav files. CoolEdit can produce some
varieties that may not be supported by CD Creator or Feurio. So, if you
are going from CoolEdit to Feurio, you have to make sure that you are
creating .wav files that are in a format that Feurio understands.

Neil

Norbert Hahn

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:18:55 GMT, "Howard Davis"
wrote:

Feurio is FREEware/shareware. I don't expect support for it, but unlike
CoolEdit 2000, which I paid to download (I do not have it on CD), it STILL
WORKS.

Feurio is by no means freeware. It is shareware and the test period is
not limited, so it may seem to be free. And it is fully supported. You
may write an email to

HTH
Norbert

Arny Krueger

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
.net...
Recently, Howard Davis posted:

No luck. Both CD Creator and Feurio are unable to import the needed
.wav files from Cool Edit. It appears that there are bugs in both
Cool Edit AND Feurio. I would expect that from freeware, but not
something like Cool Edit that I paid good money for.

There are *many* flavors of .wav files. CoolEdit can produce some
varieties that may not be supported by CD Creator or Feurio. So, if you
are going from CoolEdit to Feurio, you have to make sure that you are
creating .wav files that are in a format that Feurio understands.

I think this is it. Cool Edit remembers the last set of options that were
used to save any particular file type. So if they somehow get changed, it
will appear to be broken.

CD burning programs are very picky about which formats they will accept.
The file must be saved out of Cool Edit as stereo, sample rate 44100 Hz, 16
bits per sample, and "Windows Wave".

Norbert Hahn

wrote:

The only place they interfere that I know of is that setting changes
in Audition seem to show up in CEP 2.1 and vice-versa. That's either
a bug or a feature depending on your preferences.

I wrote..
That's somehow strange as CEP 2.1 stores the settings in the environ-
ment of the user (at least in Windows XP) in the folder

(snipped for brevity)

So... are you saying that the settings also interact on your system, or is
that peculiar to Arny's setup?

No, I haven't experience any interference between CEP 2.1 and
Audition.

In the past, I've used other non-integrated CD burning tools. However, I
prefer the approach used by CEP 2.1. In some ways, I would like to see
simpler access to some of the features, a la CD Architect, but there isn't
really much in the way of straight audio CDs that you can't do with the
CEP tool.

Things change over the time. On earlier computers I wasn't very
successfull in both editing audio and burning CDs at the same time.
From that time on I still prefer to have two or three computers doing
the burn jobs while I prepare the next job with CEP. The version 2.1
of CEP is pretty stable, crashes are very rare, but I still remember
early times of the version 2.0 and Windows XP without service pack 1
and I don't like crashes while burning CDs.

Norbert

Norbert Hahn

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:04:10 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

CD burning programs are very picky about which formats they will accept.
The file must be saved out of Cool Edit as stereo, sample rate 44100 Hz, 16
bits per sample, and "Windows Wave".

That's the easiest way to get the tracks burnt correctly. However,
Feurio aks for a plug-in to convert unknown formats to 44.1/16.
Sample rate conversion from 48 kHz and decoding of MP3 files
are done on the fly.

OTOH, the original post was about ripping CDs with Feurio and trying
to process them with CE 2000. Feurio has two different formats for
storing extracted music, plain wav 44.1/16 and MP3 if an encoder is
available. This must be readable with CE 2000, no excuses. Feurio
generates an additional meta file (cue sheet) for track layout,
CD text and such. Of course, CE2000 will not handle this file.

It would be helpful to get the error message that CE2000 shows
when it fails to open files extracted by Feurio.

Norbert

Neil Gould

Recently, Norbert Hahn posted:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:50:07 GMT, "Neil Gould"
wrote:

I wrote..
That's somehow strange as CEP 2.1 stores the settings in the
environ- ment of the user (at least in Windows XP) in the folder

(snipped for brevity)

So... are you saying that the settings also interact on your system,
or is that peculiar to Arny's setup?

No, I haven't experience any interference between CEP 2.1 and
Audition.

Thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps I'll install Audition now and get my
feet wet with the "Adobe way" of working with it.

Neil

Howard Davis

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

---------------------
I use 16 bit 44.1 .wav files only. The fact that Fuerio accepted these from
Cool Edit in the past, and that I am having difficulties now, indicates
something wrong.

I have finally, thanks to the redundancies in Windows, found a roundabout
way to transfer the .wav files from CoolEdit to Fuerio, and I have been able
to burn a CD as desired.

Thank you all that responded to my post.

Peter Lizak

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Howard Davis wrote:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

How did you work around this problem then?

Peter Lizak

Scientific Computing Lab, University of Waterloo