Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Default Center Channel Speakers

Has anyone had any experience with either the Alpine SBS-05DC or Clarion
SRK5 center channel speakers? How do they sound? I've never had a 5.1
system in any of my cars and I figured I'd start with the center channel
speaker selection, since I've had zero experience with one.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Hey dude!

I can't give you any advice on those two speaker choices but I, too, am
considering installing a center channel in my '99 Suburu Forester. I
recently purchased on Ebay three Kenwood KFC-X168 6.5" coaxials (they're
actually pretty nice for coaxials). Two I am going to use to replace my
current rear-fill speakers, but the third I would like to use as a center
channel. I just can't figure out WHERE to mount the thing. What are you
planning to do? I used to own a '95 Maxima SE so I am really familiar with
this car and the Suburu dash is very similar. Thanks.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Actually, I just ordered a brand spankin' new 2006 Ford Mustang GT!! It'll
take a couple of months to get here, so in the mean time I'm visualizing all
the things I'm going to do to it.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the whole center channel situation.
The Stang has a double-DIN opening in the dash and I figured I could fit one
of those DIN-sized center channel speakers underneath the stereo, but I just
can't imagine one of those sounding that good - hence the reason I was
asking about them.

The only other option would be to do some serious dash modification and drop
in a real speaker, like you're considering doing. I'm not sure if it's
worth the hassle though.

I suppose the easiest route would be to choose one of the speakers I asked
about and give it a try. If I don't like it there's always eBay.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, I've seen those DIN sized center channel deals (I've never heard them)
but I would be very skeptical about how much mid-range/mid-bass they could
produce.

The alternatives however, like you mentioned, could be more trouble than
they are worth. I am CONSIDERING (only considering) building a small
enclosure for my 6.5" and putting that behind the dash. It would vent out
of the DIN size opening currently being used as a storage tray (the original
stereo was double DIN). My LCD screen sits on top of my dash. Wheh...
Just describing this gives me a headache.

If anybody else has a better idea, I would love to hear it.

MOSFET
"Tony F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Yes, that gives me a headache too, just thinking about it!! Although I have
to say that's a great idea making the enclosure behind the dash and venting
it via some sort of conduit. Sounds like something Bose would think of.

The other possibility would be to install a speaker on top of the dash,
firing up into the windshield. I'm not sure what's loated underneath the
dash, and if this is even a feasible option, but there are many new cars
coming from the factory nowadays with a center channel already built into
the top of the dash. (Holding head, wreathing in pain)

OR, one could use the double-DIN sized opening for their stereo to make a
flush mounted enclosure for a decent center channel, provided they have
somewhere else on the dash for their head unit. One could relocate the
heating & a/c controls, etc. (Hydrocodone anyone?)

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

The other possibility would be to install a speaker on top of the dash,
firing up into the windshield.

Funny thing, that was my first thought as the Suburu actually has a storage
compartment in the center/top of the dash. There is a removable cover (this
is currently where my 7" LCD resides). I thought this would be perfect as
the cover could be replaced when the center channel is not in use. But my
wife positively VETOED this idea as it would involve major surgery to the
dash (a large speaker hole would have to be cut in this compartment). The
speaker-enclosure-behind-the-dash idea might actually be the best as there
appears to be a certain amount of room back there, and it does not involve
hacking my dash up.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I remember back in the day...around the early 90's, when center channels
were REALLY, REALLY popular, I knew several people who used 4" MB Quart
coaxials (because these were the best coaxials you could buy at the time)
and would just mount them right on their dash wherever they could find room.
A couple of guys actually used squares of carpeting as a mounting platform.
As I recall, ALL of these approaches always looked REALLY ugly. I must tell
you, I was relieved when the center-channel craze ended and I no longer had
to worry about it. Well, it's back, and now there is actually a REALLY good
reason for it (Dolby Digital).

Let's face it, in most cars it is hard to build a good sounding AND
attractive center chanel.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Rick Brandt

MOSFET wrote:
I remember back in the day...around the early 90's, when center
channels were REALLY, REALLY popular, I knew several people who used
4" MB Quart coaxials (because these were the best coaxials you could
buy at the time) and would just mount them right on their dash
wherever they could find room. A couple of guys actually used squares
of carpeting as a mounting platform. As I recall, ALL of these
approaches always looked REALLY ugly. I must tell you, I was
relieved when the center-channel craze ended and I no longer had to
worry about it. Well, it's back, and now there is actually a REALLY
good reason for it (Dolby Digital).
Let's face it, in most cars it is hard to build a good sounding AND
attractive center chanel.

MOSFET

I built a center channel unit with a small wooden enclosure, 2 2-1/2 inch
infinity coaxials (disabled the tweeters) and then just have this sitting on my
dash on top of one of those sticky rubber mats that are meant to keep your
sunglasses from moving as you drive. You wouldn't believe how secure one of
those things are.

I drive a Dodge Stealth and I'm sure subject this thing to more g-forces than
the average driver and in two years it has never budged. If I decide to get rid
of it I just pick it up and pull the wires out of the crack at the front of the
dashboard.

I originally tried the mat as a temporary mount since I wasn't sure that I was
going to like how the center speaker sounded. It held in place so good I just
left it that way.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Well MOSFET,

Leave it to a good ol' fashioned listening session!! I went to one of my
local retailers and low and behold they had an Alpine SBS-05C to listen to.
I have to say I was mightily impressed with the sound!! They had it hooked
up along with an Alpine DVD player, Alpine coaxials (front and rear), some
sort of sub, with a couple of Alpine amps. One of the amps was driving the
speaker, I believe he said it was a dedicated center channel output of 50w
rms. Anyway, I was absolutely flabbergasted at the amount of detail the
sucker put out. I was listening to Revenge of the Sith and it didn't sound
like single-DIN sized speaker at all. Well I have to say I was sold. I am
no longer going to worry about what I'm going to do with my center channel
setup...decision made!

I'm sure one could custom make an enclosure, as we've talking about, and get
better sound, but at what cost? I think I'll be quite happy with the
SBS-05C.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I'm sure one could custom make an enclosure, as we've talking about, and
get better sound, but at what cost? I think I'll be quite happy with the
SBS-05C.

That's very cool. I should know that Alpine rarely ever makes crap. The
problem is that now I must consider this as well, damn, more decisions! How
much are they asking for it? I see Crutchfield is asking $149 which isn't
bad at all. Hmmm...

Let me know how it sounds when it is installed in your system.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I'll tell you though, Tony, my main worry right now is not building a center
channel, it's how the hell I'm going to squeeze the 8" subs I bought on Ebay
(and will be delivered tomorrow, coincindentally) into my car doors. They
are 3.5" deep (a whole inch deeper than my 6.5" MB Quarts) and my windows
BARELY clear the Quarts as is. I just bought these subs (they're
Visonik...I know, I know but I got a killer deal and they only have to play
between 80-200Hz) on faith that I could find some way to squeeze them in
using spacers, dynamat, etc. I love my MB Quarts but mid-bass has never
been one of their strong suits.

I have a back-up plan, however, if they don't fit. I also bought a pair of
JL VR-650's (6.5" midrange drivers) to use in the doors as midbass drivers
if the Visonik's don't fit. I've heard that these drivers can pump out a
lot of mid-bass. Of course, if the Visoniks DO fit, I may use the JL's in
place of the Quart 6.5"s, and use the Quart's as my rear-fills (I'm also
debating whether to run my rear-fill in stereo or mono now that I have
time-alignment). Then I would jsut sell the Kenwoods I ALSO just bought
(I've been going a little nuts on Ebay lately). This is all really
confusing and what I need now IS NOT MORE CHOICES!!!!

MOSFET

Vintage tube equipment for sale commonsenseaudio Vacuum Tubes 7 January 3rd 06 07:43 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 05:17 PM
A Few Thoughts on Bose [email protected] Audio Opinions 1 February 27th 05 03:59 AM
Ferstler on Soundstaging Howard Ferstler Audio Opinions 158 October 6th 04 08:57 PM
Advice on speakers for Home Cinema rcvr... John A. Weeks III Pro Audio 0 October 4th 04 05:08 AM