Dan D

Default Sealing holes in doors

Hey all,
As per my previous post, I've got a set of Boston ProSeries 6.5's and
the woofers are going in the doors of my *rockin'* '94 Hyundai Excel
hatchback :-P . However, I took the panel off the other day and
noticed that there are a few rather large holes in the sheetmetal that
don't seem to really have any purpose... Most notably, there's a big
square one right where I was hoping to put my woofer! So I got
thinking: "Maybe i could just buy some 1/2" MDF, screw it to the door,
and screw the woofer to the wood!" (caulking the edges of course).
Does this sound like a sound plan? (pun intended...) If so, is 1/2"
too thin?
Now, what about the rest of the holes? Is it worth my while to plug
them with wood too? I intend to dynamat (well actually B-Quiet) the
whole door either way, since our korean friends probably didn't intend
for my little 1.5L car to be going 110km/h (even tho the speedometer
says 200!), and therefore put no deadening or soundproofing whatsoever
in the doors...

Thanks for any ideas/opinions,
Dan
Tony Fernandes

Sounds like a sound plan, Dan.

As far as sealing the rest of the holes, that's up to you. If you're trying
to quiet road noise, all the layers of dynamat in the world won't help. If
you're trying to reduce buzzes, rattles and resonations caused by the
woofer, then it's a great idea. It's very time consuming, but the last two
vehicles I've owned I've done this with my doors. I like to hear my music,
not all the metal parts rattling in my doors.

If you want, you can look at what I did with my Maxima. Overkill for most
casual listeners, but what can I say? :-)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/196550/5

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Dan D" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dan D

"Tony Fernandes" wrote
As far as sealing the rest of the holes, that's up to you. If you're trying
to quiet road noise, all the layers of dynamat in the world won't help.

Damnit. Well, I'm sure the dynamat will help clean up the sound
anyways, but what's good for killing road noise then?

Tony Fernandes

"Damnit. Well, I'm sure the dynamat will help clean up the sound
anyways, but what's good for killing road noise then?"

Check to make sure all your door seals and window seals are good. Buy
quieter tires. As far as sound deadening materials, the only thing I've
heard that works well is a combination of damping and barrier materials
sandwiched together. There are some combos available such as flexible lead
sheets surrounded by a layer(s) of traditional damping materials. Problem
is, you have to do your whole car for it to really make a difference.
Floor, headliner, firewall, doors, etc. It's very expensive and probably
weighs a ton, too.

Don't get me wrong, damping your doors like I suggested will help a little,
but not much. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact

"Dan D" wrote in message
om...
"Tony Fernandes" wrote
As far as sealing the rest of the holes, that's up to you. If you're

trying
to quiet road noise, all the layers of dynamat in the world won't help.

Damnit. Well, I'm sure the dynamat will help clean up the sound
anyways, but what's good for killing road noise then?

Nousaine

"Tony Fernandes" wrote:

"Damnit. Well, I'm sure the dynamat will help clean up the sound
anyways, but what's good for killing road noise then?"

Check to make sure all your door seals and window seals are good.

Number one.

Buy
quieter tires.

Number 2.

As far as sound deadening materials, the only thing I've
heard that works well is a combination of damping and barrier materials
sandwiched together. There are some combos available such as flexible lead
sheets surrounded by a layer(s) of traditional damping materials. Problem
is, you have to do your whole car for it to really make a difference.
Floor, headliner, firewall, doors, etc. It's very expensive and probably
weighs a ton, too.

There are two ways to reduce noise. First is having a suitable barrier between
you and the sound. For low frequencies you'll have to have a heavy barrier
which is the 2nd sound killer ..... absorbption.

The problem with noise reduction in the car is that noise is heavily low
frequency biased which requires a considerable amount of mass to provide any
significant amount of noise reduction.

In late 1993 I tested a 2-step Dynamat noise reduction treatment in a new Z28.
I conducted full spectrum noise reduction tests before and after both the
regular treatment and the pro-install.

The first included treatment on the floor pan from the firewall to the rear
seat and a layer on both doors. The "pro" treatment added a 2nd layer on the
floor pan, a full layer all the way to the tailgate and a 2nd layer inside both
doors.

Aside from a slight reduction of tire whine on rain-grooved highway at 35mph
there was no noise reduction of any kind with either level at idle, 35 and 55
mph on the same streets taken at the same time of day with a like amount of
traffic.

This is not all that surprising. Other than closing open-holes (which the
factory undercoating already provided) adding 65 lbs of mass to a 3250 lb car
just isn't going to reduce noise all that much.

If there is one item that could help some its a hood liner. In some cars plenty
of engine noise can be delivered right through the windshield and hood liner
can sometimes be useful.

Wind noise is more high frequency biased most of that comes in through the
glass which is hard to treat. Making sure your seals are functional and
properly seated is about all your can do.

If you are still interested one big noise-leak is often the firewall. Make sure
all the holes are properly sealed. If you're going to install sound deadening
material I think one should start with the firewall after checking items above.

Don't get me wrong, damping your doors like I suggested will help a little,
but not much. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

Tony

That's been my experience.