Aaron Householter

Default Help with my Ghidra console/ NEVE/API/Trident etc

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1056466247k@trad...
In article
writes:

I want to build up a rack of various modules
(neve/api/Trident/focusrite/telefunken etc) and I need a console to
pass them all through. all the modules will be racked up I simply need
bussing, auxes, faders master section etc.etc. etc.

You might look at the Millenia Mixing Suite. It's just made to order
for a project like yours. I hope you're spending tons of money on the
input modules though, because otherwise you'll be shocked a the cost
of "just a line level mixer" with all the features.

Maybe Manley could build me an analog unit?

I'm sure they would. I'm curious as to what your concept of budget is.
I'm not looking for an RFQ here, just want some perspective on your
understanding, beyond some very good brand names, of what you're
planning to do.

Well, I've owned all of the modules (except the Focusrites and ssl's)
before and really liked them all, but each one did its own thing
different of course, So I thought "hell, just build a console of all
of my favorite modules." so I could mix and match so to speak. I
figure about $25,000 on the modules at prices I would buy them for and
maybe $5000-10,0000 for the "mixer". Really the mixer isn't much more
than a line mixer with say 4 mono and 1 stereo aux send(for foldback)
and a talkback/control room section.
I like the concept of what the old Trident guy was doing with the
modular console, If I could find one.
I feel for me, that this set-up offers me the best approach to what
I've come to like about each modules sound and the ability to intermix
them with ease. I'm interested in other peoples ideas on this as well,
if anybody out there is trying this sort of thing?
Aaron Householter
studio1117
Aaron Householter

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1057186291k@trad...
In article
writes:

Well, I've owned all of the modules (except the Focusrites and ssl's)
before and really liked them all, but each one did its own thing
different of course, So I thought "hell, just build a console of all
of my favorite modules." so I could mix and match so to speak. I
figure about $25,000 on the modules at prices I would buy them for and
maybe $5000-10,0000 for the "mixer". Really the mixer isn't much more
than a line mixer with say 4 mono and 1 stereo aux send(for foldback)
and a talkback/control room section.

This is just what the Millenia Mixing Suite is - a line level mixer
for BYOP (bring your own preamps). In fact, I believe I read something
that John LaGrou (Mr. Millenia Media) wrote about the potential for an
interface specification for console modules so that you could build a
frame and plug in preamps, equalizers, and dynamics processors from
various manufacturers, have them interface to a high quality, high
headroom mixer at line level, and have patch points for inserts for
other outboards.

Trouble with this idea is that, like all high end pro audio products,
it would be very expensive. There aren't enough studios buying this
sort of gear to make it worth while to do the mechanical design. So
the next best thing is a mixing surface, and you rack up the rest of
your stuff.

I completely agree about the limited market for these things. I think
I may have found what I needed, EveAnna Manley has a 4 buss version of
her 16x2 mixer that looks real good, we talked about adding talkback
and more master goodies to this and making the beast come alive.
I'm really suprised more people haven't spoke on this thread about
this type of mixer. With all of the preamps being sold I think it's a
great idea, but I guess everybody is just buying a couple Neves and
calling it good. That doesn't work for me, that's like saying I'm
gonna eat steak the rest of my life, hey baby, give me a variety pack,
I like a selection, steak is good, but not everynight.
Aaron Householter
studio1117
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I'm really suprised more people haven't spoke on this thread about
this type of mixer. With all of the preamps being sold I think it's a
great idea, but I guess everybody is just buying a couple Neves and
calling it good.

It's the trend toward a mixerless studio, and also the incomeless
studio. They spend their money on one or two high end items (a good
preamp and a good mic) and then mix tracks in the computer because
it's there and it works.

There has indeed been wishful thinking about line level mixers, but
at the back end, not the front end. The thought is that if you "only"
need line level, a mixer shouldn't be very expensive. What they don't
realize is that the output level from a "professoinal" audio interface
is really high, peaking at +22 to +28 dBu at full scale (and of course
nobody goes to mixdown with tracks lower than full scale because
y'know, you lose all that RESOLUTION) and mixing 24 tracks at that
level requires a console that has internal headroom of lotsa volts.
The digital people figured this out a few years ago and provided
internal mixing at 48-bit resolution, but it's much more expensive to
do with analog hardware.

So what you have is people who can't find what they think should be a
simple mixer for $500 and they just keep mixing in their computers.
Some of them do OK. Some of those that don't probably wouldn't do any
better with a hardware mixer, but they don't want to believe it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Peter B.

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1057233369k@trad...
In article
writes:

I'm really suprised more people haven't spoke on this thread about
this type of mixer. With all of the preamps being sold I think it's a
great idea, but I guess everybody is just buying a couple Neves and
calling it good.

Ok this is where I have to chime in...

Awhile back Vince at Speck electronics had a graphic up for a mixer
called "LiLo". It had no pre's (or eq if I recall correctly). I think
it had two inserts per channel and maybe two aux's (everything is
fully balanced). It was 16x2 and DO's were being considered. One thing
I'm positive it had was Speck Electronics quality and clean sound.
Right around that time the whole economy went to hell. Before it did
though he said that he would make it if he felt a strong enough demand
was there. I e-mailed him my support of the LiLo and I still stand by
what I said to this day (even if I can't remember all the details of
what the console did anymore). The concept behind it was perfect for
the home studio with a variety of preamps and other external hardware.
I think it would be a great addition to a DAW based recording set up.
People that bitch about digital summing would be happy, people that do
keyboard based music would be happy, and people looking to interface
their old analog effects/processing to a DAW would be happy. In a way
I kind of see the recent Speck offerings to be leading up to something
like the LiLo. The Speck EQ and Pre's fill in the missing blocks of a
flexable, truly modular console when combined with the LiLo.

I guess you can say I'm still hoping it comes out...

Peter