Donn Ganley

Default "Newbie" tube replacement question

purchased A: AKG K-1000 head "speakers" B: nOrh SE-9 amp C: DiMarzio RCA
interconnects D: Stefan AudioArt AKG replacement cable - setup connceted to
computer with Terratec DMX 6fire sound card - in all, a vast improvement
over my proveious experiences with music! - question is for amp which uses
2x12AX7 Electro Harmonix drive tubes, 2x EL-34 Electro Harmonix power tubes,
and 1x 5AR4 Sovtek rectifier tube - received many different replies as to
whether high cost tube replacement will actually give a noticeable sound
quality improvement - Upscale Audio seems a good choice for obtaining
replacement tubes - the high cost of "Mullard" or other "quality NOS tubes
makes me cringe (don't make much money) but I'll save should these Mullard
type tubes be worth it with my setup - any suggestions/opinions/ would be
greatly appreciated before I purchase a backup set of tubes!!

Many thanks, Donn

Choky

every time (hm, almost) when seller sez that some tube is awesome -just
read between lines : " Ya sucker!"
good amp sing with cheapie tubes almost as with premium one.
point is in "almost";
in 95% cases difference in price is way too big for difference in quality of
sound.
try to pick good tubes,not audiophile ones.
hehe,this is my opinion,and that is (by definition) absolute
truth.............

--
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar

"Donn Ganley" wrote in message
[...]

Robert Casey

Raymond Koonce wrote:

Choky speaks the truth! You can get 95% of the sound with 25% of the
cost. I can't hear 5%.

I'd pay more attention to the capacitors. Any wax paper caps should be
replaced
with modern ones (poly-whatever, but don't use ceramic caps in hi fi
work) and
the electrolytic filter caps may need to be replaced as well.

Robert Casey

I'd pay more attention to the capacitors. Any wax paper caps should
be replaced
with modern ones (poly-whatever, but don't use ceramic caps in hi fi
work) and
the electrolytic filter caps may need to be replaced as well.

Ahhh, I am assuming that you bought a vintage tube amp. If it's brand new
production, then the above doesn't apply.