Jim Kollens

Default Bongo Congo

Coincidentally, I just happened to be listening to this tonight:

"In Bongo, it's on the Congo, and, oh boy, what a spot!
Quite full of things delightful, and few that are not.
Have no misgiving, the cost of living isn't cheaper anywhere.
If wifey needs another frock you needn't put your watch in hock.
You simply tell a native chief to pick a poson ivy leaf.
In Bongo, it's on the Congo, and I wish that I was there!

In Bongo, it's on the Congo, and, oh boy, what a spot!
There are no quarrels, because your morals are not wholey on the square.
For when a visitor arrives, they hand him half a dozen wives.
A man with less than twenty-four is looked on as a bachelor.
In Bongo, it's on the Congo, and I wish that I was there!"

Well, there are many more lyrics, but that's all I can conjure up. They are by
P.J. Wodehouse and come from a Jerome Kern musical called "Sitting Pretty."